Prospect Info: Part 2: Oskar Lindblom -- round 5 #138 overall 2014 NHL Draft [recalled on 2/19]

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lol...I guess scratching Weise or Lehtera is not an option in deadheads world.

Replacing them with Lindblom and playing him 8-10 minutes a night?
No, I don't think that was ever an option for Hextall.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Replacing them with Lindblom and playing him 8-10 minutes a night?
No, I don't think that was ever an option for Hextall.
They both play over 10 minutes a game. They play 2:30 less than Weal a game....so that's like 2 shifts a period less. Patrick only plays 2 minutes more than the new wonder twins. Plus he would be available to move up in the lineup when it warrants it.

Just weeks ago you were saying there is nothing wrong with guys being on the 4th line then working themselves up. You must have changed your mind.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Lindblom was never going to look out of place at the NHL level, unlike the last Phantoms forward callup.

I think you can justify him spending 3 months in the AHL. You can't justify Goulbourne getting called up before him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They both play over 10 minutes a game. They play 2:30 less than Weal a game....so that's like 2 shifts a period less. Patrick only plays 2 minutes more than the new wonder twins. Plus he would be available to move up in the lineup when it warrants it.

Just weeks ago you were saying there is nothing wrong with guys being on the 4th line then working themselves up. You must have changed your mind.

No, I said there's nothing wrong with certain players like NAK being on the 4th line.
It's obvious that Hextall has different expectations for different prospects, Lindblom has always been targeted for the top 9, Sanheim for the top 4.
Guys like NAK (and Sushko down the road) have skills that are a good 4th line fit and are not seen as locks for the top 9, so their best chance at making the roster is a 4th line role and working their way up.

There's only so much room on the top 9, guys like Frost, Allison, Rubtsov, etc. are targeted for that role.
We already have 7 guys plus Filppula and Weal, even if Simmonds is traded, that's six spots plus Lindblom plus Frost. Laughton might crack that group as a LW. Gee, it fills up fast!

Then there are players like Ratcliffe, who was drafted for a top 9 role, but may have a long development trajectory, so he might start on the 4th line to be sheltered (where he can use his size and speed) and work his way up.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Lehtera averages 10:26 for the season, but less then 10 minutes the last 10 games or so.
Weise averages 10:35 for the season, but less than that since he returned to the lineup.
Last 9 games Patrick has averaged almost 16 minutes a game. His time was limited while he was "rehabbing on ice."

Lindblom is getting a full shot with Simmonds out, and I think the "loser" will probably be Weal when Simmonds returns.
I think Lindblom might have come up earlier, but Weal went on a hot streak.
Lindblom wasn't going to come up to play on the 4th line and he wasn't going to replace Raffl.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
He was very very solid defensively as well. Great on back checks and picking up assignments away from the puck. I can't see how they could justify sending him back as he is clearly 100% ready to contribute

That, and also at some point you figure they just have to notice how poor the alternatives are. He's been shuffling the garbage around somewhat, but if you can bounce Weise and Torgo altogether, we'd really be cooking with gas.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I could see him become one of Hakstol's favourites very soon. He reads plays very well both sides of the rink, uses his stick well, throws a little bump to distract a potential shooter in the slot before the puck even arrives, alot of subtle but important work.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I could see him become one of Hakstol's favourites very soon. He reads plays very well both sides of the rink, uses his stick well, throws a little bump to distract a potential shooter in the slot before the puck even arrives, alot of subtle but important work.

Jake pretty much summed it up so well on Lindblom in his post-game interview. (worth watching because Jake is hilarious too.)

Lindblom also might be the only player I have seen interviewed after his first game and when asked 'was anything different than expected, surprise you?'... was like 'nah, the NHL is easy, I felt good'. (paraphrased ;)) usually everyone mentions the pace at least.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Lindblom wasn't ready in September, like a lot of SHL players, there's an adjustment period.
He probably could have come up a month ago, but that's around the time Weal got hot, so Hextall probably figured it couldn't hurt Lindblom to stay in the AHL a little longer, because he wasn't replacing Raffl and he wanted to see if Weal was for real before the trade deadline.

Lindblom is going to play because he's NHL ready. It's that simple. He's reliable.
His game is a two way game, including going to the net, the corners, the board, back checking.
He'll probably struggle here and there with NHL speed, but will quickly adjust and figure out the angles to take.
But he's not going to freelance, try and play "hero hockey" or cherry pick.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
first off...i love jake...even when hes a puck-hogging dorkacek.

also loved jakes comments about OL...said everything you want to hear.

one thing about OLs play i noticed too...is he keeps his stick on the ice...might sound insignificant but it shows just how solid his foundation is. its even more important to his style cuz he spends so much time in the slot and you have to be ready for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->