Parroting effect of HFBoards

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
I'm curious how many of you actually watch our prospects play. I do a ton of research on our prospects and read all of your thoughts on them but I never watch them play. I thought Joe morrow was the bomb because that's what you all said, thats what his pre AHL stats said. I was upset about the trade originally, obviously I like our trade situation now :)

I just was curious if you all actually watch the prospects play and draw your own conclusions. I feel like the opinions stated here are very influential to most fans and probably even do a bit of anchoring when prospects finally get on the ice

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
IMO you'll find some great info on these boards and sometimes its better than most websites. Draft time check out CertifiedPensfans thoughts and they are almost always right on the mark.

Look at sharkie X. He was a kid during his time here and made a draft program that was better than the pro's... now he's a pro.

In the end lots of people watch an insane amount of games and come here to voice what they think. At no time, not even in the pro's, is anything 100%.

Just my thoughts on Morrow from the fall...

Joe Morrow

Skill

Morrow has an absolute bomb of a shot with a quick release. He also seems smart about taking something off of it just to get it on net creating chaos in front.

His passing reminds me a little of Goligoski or Rafalski. He seems to know what he wants to do before he gets the puck and then moves it in the blink of an eye. IMO he's a smart passer more than a creative or natural one. He does go tape to tape well on long passes even to players in motion.

I'm not sure of his overall speed, without question it’s good, but he is a powerful and mobile skater. He doesn't seem to be a puck rusher but he uses his skating to get to loose pucks and get them out of danger.

Physical game

When Morrow gets nasty I almost want to say he's like a Bieksa type but his passing is better and that nasty side isn't there all the time for that comparison to stick. The best that I can say about Morrow is that his compete level is high. He competes all over the ice and has the strength to back it up. He kind of reminds me of Letang in that aspect.

Outlook

He’s a very well rounded defenseman for the Pens. Even though he seems NHL ready I'm still hoping the Pens handle him, and all of their skilled defenseman, with kid gloves. They have to walk the fine line between letting them do what makes them great while weeding out the mistakes. Most of that is the mental game and IMO better handled at the AHL level.

Also want to add that I think he's pretty sound defensively and pro coaching can weed out some small stuff. He over chases a little bit but the Pens seem to want that from their Dmen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad