Prospect Info: Parker Kelly (C)

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Free wallet. Seems the Sens staff likes him enough that he could have been our pick had we kept our 7th in this past draft.

Stats aren't that impressive, but like a lot of Sens draft picks, he improved a lot over the year. He pretty much went PPG in the final stretch of the season - putting up 29 of his 43 points in the last 30 games.

Love the signing Dorion. Now sign Gennaro and Suter :handclap:

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Reminds me a bit of Zack Smith's path. Both WHL guys. Smith had 7 points in 64 games his first year eligible, 31 in 71 2nd year, and then got drafted third time around after 70 in 72 as a 19/20 year old. Sens had to use a 3rd to get him. Hopefully Kelly turns into a free mid-round prospect.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Free wallet. Seems the Sens staff likes him enough that he could have been our pick had we kept our 7th in this past draft.

Stats aren't that impressive, but like a lot of Sens draft picks, he improved a lot over the year. He pretty much went PPG in the final stretch of the season - putting up 29 of his 43 points in the last 30 games.

Love the signing Dorion. Now sign Gennaro and Suter :handclap:

Yea, really like Gennaro. :handclap:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
When a player is drafted, there's the advantage of being able to hold on to them for 2 years without a real commitment. The Sens liking him enough to give up a contract spot+signing bonus money is a good sign. If they were iffy on him, they would have risked waiting a year. Signing him could mean they see him as a big riser to the point that the risk of trying to draft him next year wouldn't be worth it.

We have a few extra contract spots, but with this signing we're at 45/50. If we sign 1 or 2 of our PTO guys, and Pius Suter (depending on if it is a 17-18 ELC, or an 18-19 ELC due to his Swiss commitments).

For reference...
- 2017 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #166 by Hockeyprospect.com
- 2017 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #192 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
In regards to his mediocre production, also worth noting that his team was absolutely terrible this year.

With his 43 points, Kelly was actually 2nd on his team in scoring this year - 5 points behind Stransky, who led the team in scoring with 48 points.

Have to think he would have produced more on a better team.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
In regards to his mediocre production, also worth noting that his team was absolutely terrible this year.

With his 43 points, Kelly was actually 2nd on his team in scoring this year - 5 points behind Stransky, who led the team in scoring with 48 points.

This... but not only was the team terrible, but apparently he had him play with even worse line mates the first half of the season to "spread the scoring around".

More I read about the kid, the more cautiously optimistic I am about the signing.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
It's basically a free draft pick in next year's draft. How well he does this year will determine which round that pick is from.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
What I though if you didn't get drafted, you get stuck back in the draft next year. Didn't realize you could sign 18-yr olds undrafted.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Undrafted this year

This is interesting. Think of it. The Sens signed the kid to an ELC which is usually only done for 1st rounders. Chlapik for example signed the year after he was drafted if I recall correctly. Not sure about Formenton and Batheson.

What I read into this is that they suspect he will bust out and get ranked much higher, say around 50 or so. They thought that the likelihood of him breaking out was worth the cost.

I don't recall this ever happening before. I assumed that he would have had to pass at least 2 drafts before teams can sign them without drafting them.

I wonder if this will become commonplace as kids like Batherson gets an ELC before getting drafted for example.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This is interesting. Think of it. The Sens signed the kid to an ELC which is usually only done for 1st rounders. Chlapik for example signed the year after he was drafted if I recall correctly. Not sure about Formenton and Batheson.

What I read into this is that they suspect he will bust out and get ranked much higher, say around 50 or so. They thought that the likelihood of him breaking out was worth the cost.

I don't recall this ever happening before. I assumed that he would have had to pass at least 2 drafts before teams can sign them without drafting them.

I wonder if this will become commonplace as kids like Batherson gets an ELC before getting drafted for example.

Philippe Myers was not drafted in 2015 and was signed after being invited to camp by the Flyers .. it happens not sure of the frequency; It happened more in the past with College players ; From the CHL Kelly Chase was undrafted and signed with St.Louis, Andy Delmore signed with the Flyers, Geoff Courtnall was undrafted out of the BCHL and signed with Boston

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Sounds a bit like Wil Bitten in his draft year with Flint.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
What I though if you didn't get drafted, you get stuck back in the draft next year. Didn't realize you could sign 18-yr olds undrafted.

Teams can sign them, it just doesn't happen often because most of the time if a player went undrafted they aren't valuable enough to waste one of a team's 50 contract spots on for the next 3 seasons along with a few hundred thousand dollars in guaranteed signing bonuses.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not much chance at the NHL this year for sure, but if he plays in Belleville he will become a fan favorite there in a hurry.

This one was great. Took a penalty but it was worth it. He decked Brook .. one of Montreal's top prospect Dmen and Brook wanted to get him back. Kelly laid him out again.

Kelly really is one of those never say die kind of players

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I got so confused by this thread when I saw Randy Lee in the first pic...lol

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
Making his NHL debut tonight! Found it interesting that Troy Mann thinks he's going to be a part of the young Sens core moving forward. I don't think anyone here have penciled him in into our future line ups. Great locker room guy apparently as a lot of current Sens are excited to see him join them tonight. Wouldn't it be something if he steals the show from L. Brown tonight..

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Up until tonight, he was the only winner of the Jonathan Pitre award to not play in the NHL.

For the uninitiated, the Jonathan Pitre award is given to the hardest working player in rookie camp.

Previous winners, off the top of my head, include Brady, Boro and Winchester.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
When you are not good enough they call you - Great locker room guy, swiss knife type of a player, he's got a great character, he never dies, he is a team player, he walks the walk, he gives 100%, he will do anything for the coach, dependable in all three zones, physical player, he puts the team first, hardest working player and so on LOL

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Very happy for him, always liked what we heard about his work ethic etc. This is how you populate your bottom six in this NHL, with homegrown, hard workers who can chip in offensively.

Also...The Manns seems absolutely indispensable. We should be very careful not to lose them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->