Prospect Info: Parker Kelly (C)

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Just turned 18. This past draft was his first year of eligibility. Basically adding another late round pick at this draft. Probably project him to breakout this year.
I like it.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Just turned 18. This past draft was his first year of eligibility. Basically adding another late round pick at this draft. I like it.

Maybe he's one of those classic late bloomers that we pick as an overager, but this time, we don't even need to spend a draft pick to get his rights!

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
That season was a 17 year old, he just turned 18 this summer.

For comparison Formenton our 2nd round pick had just 34 points this season as a 17 year old. different players and league I know, but Kelly has showed well this training camp.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So...43 points in 72 WHL games....not a big point guy.

What kind of game does he play?

Parker Kelly - Center - Prince Albert Raiders (WHL)
A skilled, heart-and-soul center that flew under the radar on an awful Prince Albert team. Carries the puck with speed and confidence through the neutral zone and takes sharp cuts to the net with it. Can move the puck on the powerplay and is dangerous on the kill. Wore a letter at 17. The Raiders will be great in two years, and Kelly will be a leader.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Any other recent examples of undrafted 18yo players signed like that?
I remember Joe Hicketts signed with Red Wings after 2014 draft. Went on to play in WJC that year and led Wings AHL team in points among D last year as a rookie. He's small though for a D, which is the reason he went undrafted.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah this is basically a free draft pick. Sens liked what they saw of him, and wanted to get a contract inked rather than chance him being selected in either of the next 2 drafts.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I remember Joe Hicketts signed with Red Wings after 2014 draft. Went on to play in WJC that year and led Wings AHL team in points among D last year as a rookie. He's small though for a D, which is the reason he went undrafted.

Myers with the Flyers

Uncle Eugene

Buckle Up.
Mar 19, 2010
Barbados
Good for him, good for us.

Similar stats to Fisher after his draft year, seems like similar temperament which is a credit to him.

Prototypical Sens player makeup, here's hoping for a break out year if he gets surrounded with more talent.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Just off the top of my head

Cody Donaghey with the Leafs
Phillips Myers with the Flyers

Flyers tried to do this with Thomas Hyka, had him sign a contract, only to be told it was illegal and end up losing him to LA in the next draft.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Who? Looking at his Hockey DB page, doesn't look like this guy will ever make an impact here.

Did we draft him?

Reg season - 39gp 11g 17a 28p
Playoffs - 15gp 1g 3a 4p

Good thing judging a stat page doesn't mean ****. Using this method would tell us Stone (his age comparable season above) wouldn't ever amount to anything here.

Thankfully, we have guys who earn a living making these calls.

Come on, is it really that difficult to know if we drafted him? You checked on his stats, could have just taken the extra 2 seconds to see his status.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Free wallet?

An actual good situation to get a free wallet.

This isn't a 24 year old vet who was gooning it up with kids 5 year younger than him after being an after thought from 16-23, this is an 18 year old kid, younger than half the guys we drafted this year.

Very smart move, at worst it give us an extra 7th round draft pick from the 2017 draft for free.

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
I don't know anything about him but it looks like a good move considering we had fewer draft picks this year. Gotta keep that prospect pool full.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad