TSN: Parise to the Isles being worked on, Ladd going to MIN

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
They've been talking about it since the summer, but didnt have the finances figured out because it's " complicated"? Don't they have competent accountants who can figure things out, or did both teams have some ex jocks counting on their fingers and toes in the back room?

Someone asked for too much. I don't see how this gets fixed in the summer, after NYI missed a playoff run where they could have had Parise. It's not like he is getting any better going forward.
I don't think "talking about it since last summer" means that they've been actively hashing out details since then. It sounds like Fenton and Lamoriello talked about it, but it didn't go anywhere because Fenton didn't want to take Ladd back. There's no telling when the idea came up again, but it seems like it might have been recently.

My mostly uninformed guess is that it was the Islanders that fired things back up. If the money is that hard to work out it makes a lot more sense as an offseason move and Minnesota has nothing to gain by making it happen now. NYI does. Maybe something was overlooked, or maybe the late Pageau trade and extension gave the Islanders less to work with than they expected.

No doubt situations like this are why Lou is so strident about keeping a lid on things. I don't blame Parise in the slightest for wanting to spend the last 5 years of his career on a contender and I share his doubts about that being Minnesota... but it's uncomfortable to have that information out there.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Maybe something was overlooked, or maybe the late Pageau trade and extension gave the Islanders less to work with than they expected.

If the Islanders could Dump ladd's contract in a trade for Parise, they wouldn't have any cap issues, even with Barzal, Toews and Pulock being RFAs this summer

All that being said I do think Pageau's contract rules out any chance(not that I thought they had much) that Taylor Hall might sign with us

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If the Islanders could Dump ladd's contract in a trade for Parise, they wouldn't have any cap issues, even with Barzal, Toews and Pulock being RFAs this summer

All that being said I do think Pageau's contract rules out any chance(not that I thought they had much) that Taylor Hall might sign with us
Yeah I'm not all that clear on New York's cap situation and I know that Minnesota's got quite a bit of room going into this summer. Still, these are both contracts with years of term so they may interfere with longer term plans or internally-imposed restraints. If both players will waive there seems to be room to make a deal, but I can see where the haggling might take time.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
That doesnt make sense. Why is minnesota getting assets? Your asset is that you're getting cap space and less term. You might get some sort of throw in player so that the money matches out but it wont be anything of value. Maybe a bottom six player or third pairing defencemen.
Because Zach Parise is worth more than Andrew Ladd as a player. Andrew Ladd is worthless. Not an NHLer. Parise is still productive. Are we going to be able to get a 25-30 goal player for the $2M in cap savings we would get with this trade? No. And I don't know how many people believe Parise is going to play all 5 remaining years of his contract, but I'm not one of them. If the additional two years on Parise's contract are unlikely to matter anyway, why would we trade him for a totally worthless player?

Goose312

May 15, 2015
That doesnt make sense. Why is minnesota getting assets? Your asset is that you're getting cap space and less term. You might get some sort of throw in player so that the money matches out but it wont be anything of value. Maybe a bottom six player or third pairing defencemen.
The Wild would be effectively trading a 25+ goal scorer on a $2m contract for nothing by taking back Ladd. They would get full relief the final 2 years of his contract, sure, when his paid drops to 1 million and he likely retires anyway. Which if he did flat out retire, it would have 0 cap implications for the Islanders while completely screwing the Wild for years. That's why.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Not to nitpick, but he's dad left the Islanders before the cup years. Still scored the first memorable goal in team history, as you know.

I thought JP won the first cup with the isles. Just looked it up and you’re right. He was gone right before the cup run.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wonder if NYI are going to regret not getting this deal done? Parise isn't what he once was, but when he gets hot he has a knack for scoring, even in heavy traffic. A guy like that could be the difference in a series.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
I wonder if NYI are going to regret not getting this deal done? Parise isn't what he once was, but when he gets hot he has a knack for scoring, even in heavy traffic. A guy like that could be the difference in a series.
Parise is exactly the kind of player you need in the playoffs.
You need players who go to the net, take some beating and score on a rebound or deflect the puck.
It‘s the offensive counter part to blocking shots and getting bruised in the D zone.

member 290103

Minny should still chase Sutter hard in off season. Squeeze Canucks for a sweetener even.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Per Russo podcast:
Guerin and LL has deal to send Parise to NYI for Ladd + 1st. LL then traded the 1st for Pagaeu. They couldn’t come up with compromise and deal broke down. Likely to be revisited this summer

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Honestly what i want to see is Barzal-Dumba-Ladd-Parise megadeal. You can fight who adds and how much, I just want to see a big deal of core players.
Islanders already have Pulock, Boychuk, Mayfield and Dobson as RDs, while they have no one else that can play as 1st line center. It's pretty arguable that Barzal is the only true first line forward they have.

I have a very hard time seeing them moving Barzal, but especially difficult with a RD as the main piece coming back for him.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
Per Russo podcast:
Guerin and LL has deal to send Parise to NYI for Ladd + 1st. LL then traded the 1st for Pagaeu. They couldn’t come up with compromise and deal broke down. Likely to be revisited this summer

I imagined it would have been something like that or Ladd + Bellows + 3/4th for some salary retention. Could have been a good deal to do along with getting Pageau.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Islanders already have Pulock, Boychuk, Mayfield and Dobson as RDs, while they have no one else that can play as 1st line center. It's pretty arguable that Barzal is the only true first line forward they have.

I have a very hard time seeing them moving Barzal, but especially difficult with a RD as the main piece coming back for him.

Barzal is a fantasy ask, come on.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Barzal is a fantasy ask, come on.
Indeed. It's hard to imagine a scenario where he'd be traded. Anything the Islanders would be willing to move him for would be unrealistic for the other team to trade for him. But just pointing out why Dumba was a particularly poor starting place.

Reactions: PWJunior

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

I agree. I would have felt so much better having him on board for this years playoffs if we make it.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Honestly what i want to see is Barzal-Dumba-Ladd-Parise megadeal. You can fight who adds and how much, I just want to see a big deal of core players.

Theres not an asset in the Minnesota organization that yields Barzal.

If anything, Isles would add to Ladd to get Parise. Isles have no need for Dumba, this year or next year.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
It was me and it was tongue in cheek.
And I wasn‘t aware that even Dumba doesn‘t move the needle for the Isles.
I actually hoped that Bellows and Wahlstrom might be better so that LL might not need him.

I like it though that BG didn‘t take less than the first. Taking Ladd and the risk of Parise retiring should be no less...or Barzal, who is off limits, I get it.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Russo also speculated that not only did the Pageau trade take the 1st off the table, but the new contract given to him made it necessary for the Wild to retain salary on Parise to make the deal work under the cap. With no 1st(though it was presumably replaced with something like Bellows) and all of a sudden having to retain on Parise, Guerin pulled out of the deal.

If true, I'm glad Guerin pulled out. That would have been a bad deal for MN. I don't think that much of Bellows(personal opinion), he doesn't play C, and having to retain on Parise while also paying a completely valueless player like Ladd would be a lopsided deal. I will assume that LL didn't do this bait and switch on purpose, and it was only brought about by the Pageau trade and signing, but who knows?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->