Parise not mvp worthy..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thescout88

I was able to watch the 2 games that ment something( Finland, canada) and he did nothing. He got alot of points in the prelim round but more then half on the PP. You could have put a player like Stafford there and he could have gotten the same amount of points against the teams that were no competition to the USA. I say give it to a player that did something in the medal rounds. Zach is a good player but his size showed against canada.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Thescout88 said:
I was able to watch the 2 games that ment something( Finland, canada) and he did nothing. He got alot of points in the prelim round but more then half on the PP. You could have put a player like Stafford there and he could have gotten the same amount of points against the teams that were no competition to the USA. I say give it to a player that did something in the medal rounds. Zach is a good player but his size showed against canada.
Like I said in my post in the game thread Phaneuf and the Canadian forwards seem to pay special attention to Parise and depite that he still played a strong game. I think the press and everybody built him up a little to much but needless to say if you weren't impressed now trust me you will be in the near future, this kid is the real deal.

NJ_Devil_Boy

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Thescout88 said:

Yeah...kind of like Giguere was not Conn Smyth Trophy worthy.... :shakehead

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
I truly thought this thread were a joke when I read it. Since it isn't I will say that you are welcome to your opinion although, I can't even begin to understand why you would have it.

He looked like the MVP to me and if it weren't for his scoring his team wouldn't have made it to the finals more than likely and won the gold so, to me, he sure seemed like the MVP. Of course, the fact that he easily lead all scorers when Crosby and Ovechkin were supposed to do that part also makes a strong arguement for him winning but, those are just my opinions. Mine and the blokes who made him MVP.

HfxMoose

Nov 17, 2003
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Who cares. He got MVP and you can't change it. Why even bring this up. And if it weren't for Giguere the ducks woulda been swept in the first round.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Thescout88 said:

I hope you aren't REALLY a scout, because then there would be NO good players on your team! LOL!
Parise was easily the best player out there in both the semi-final game, and the championship game. He assisted on the game-tying goal. He led the tournment in scoring. He far over-shadowed Sidney Crosby, who is an exceptional player. He deserved the MVP, he got it. And his size showed? You mean when he went down ONCE in the game? Because he was shadowed for the entire medal round, yet still was the most impressive player out there. There's more to being valuable than scoring (just ask Washington fans about Jagr!). There's leadership, passing, setting up plays, etc.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
:shakehead. Welcome to HF. :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead. He looked very good to me, especially considering he drew the elite defensmen as his matchup each one of his shifts despite being the second line center.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
punchy1 said:
I truly thought this thread were a joke when I read it. Since it isn't I will say that you are welcome to your opinion although, I can't even begin to understand why you would have it.

He looked like the MVP to me and if it weren't for his scoring his team wouldn't have made it to the finals more than likely and won the gold so, to me, he sure seemed like the MVP. Of course, the fact that he easily lead all scorers when Crosby and Ovechkin were supposed to do that part also makes a strong arguement for him winning but, those are just my opinions. Mine and the blokes who made him MVP.

Have to add to that. How many goals against was he on for against Canada (0). How many goals against even strength was he on for the whole tournament (0) Obviously did damage on the PP but also outscored the opposition shorthanded. I had him even with Stewart and Carter going into the game for top forward, and slightly behind Dawes entering the third, but way ahead MVP wise.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Thescout88 said:

bull

eyeofthetiger

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
AJ1982 said:
I agree with Bull!!!
What it showed was that Talent wins hockey games not size...(or I might add politics). Parise was standing in the winners circle at the end of the game... all 5'10" or so of him...where were the 6'5 etc guys.... all polishing their silver medals.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Uh, what Parise did you watch...

J.P. in the stands?

Parise, if you don't play him will go to the net. If you overplay him will dish the puck. If you try to intimidate Zach; you get a penalty or waste your energy.

He played a typical game of a great player/playmaker being keyed on; he dished it off and used the space the opposition created and dished off. Very effective throughout this tournament in different ways every game as I understand.

New Jersey - steal of the draft.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
Have to add to that. How many goals against was he on for against Canada (0). How many goals against even strength was he on for the whole tournament (0) Obviously did damage on the PP but also outscored the opposition shorthanded. I had him even with Stewart and Carter going into the game for top forward, and slightly behind Dawes entering the third, but way ahead MVP wise.

Well, since he assisted on the TYING goal, I guess he WAS one the ice for a goal against Canada! It was he who dropped the puck to the D-man who shot it at the net and had it deflected in by O'Sullivan. (I certainly hope you were talking about Zach Parise in your reply, otherwise THIS one is going to make NO sense!)

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:

any chance all the non-believers are from canada?

kov

Jul 5, 2002
NYC
jiggs 10 said:
Well, since he assisted on the TYING goal, I guess he WAS one the ice for a goal against Canada! It was he who dropped the puck to the D-man who shot it at the net and had it deflected in by O'Sullivan. (I certainly hope you were talking about Zach Parise in your reply, otherwise THIS one is going to make NO sense!)

Uh, he meant that no goals were scored against the US when Parise was on the ice vs. Canada, etc.

Does that make more sense now?

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
Well, as HF is a Canadian Website and since the USA beat Canada and fairly for the gold AND Parise won the MVP and were voted that by people from every country thier and NOT the Americans alone you have to conclude two things. One, the majority of the people who feel bad about this issue are going to be Canadians and that they are wrong in thier position. It is due to the fact that they didn't win the tourney and that their player didn't win top honors.

I think this thread shines a bad light on the hundreds of Canadians on this site who don't feel the need to act upset because things didn't go thier way.

I will say this though, I never knew how much Canadians didn't like Americans until this tourney. I watched all of the games but two on TSN(I watched two on a euro channel) and after listening to the worst pro colour guy in the bus in Pierre and watching the Molson "I AM CANADIAN" commercials where they have a bloke hit a yank in the face with a puck and on the moon and then have the yank be so stupid as to try and drink with his lid down I, like many outsiders must have all come to the conclusion that Canadians simply don't like America.

I don't know why they don't, that one will always go right by me mate but it is obvious that there is a feeling of hatered (might be a bit strong of a word but something like it) towards thier neighbors to the south.

I thought the Molson tele ads were rubbish and wondered, along with a pub full of mates, how the world and Canada would react if the USA had a campaign that did the same thing. There would be demonstrations and marches and all of Canada would be upset and on and on. The thing is, I bet you won't see the US run a tele add close to that type because they know its low brow.

I would bet that if asked, without anyone the wiser, that if ANYONE other than the US beat Canada would they have minded it near as much that the answer would be a resounding yes.

If the Fins won it wouldn't have bothered anyone near as much and that is just sad. Its funny but down hear, we tend to like everyone. We rely as a country on sending out wool and after that, tourism is the next way we survive. That being said, we tend to be accepting of Americans and Canadians as the same. The rest of teh world don't see any difference in you two, maybe that is why you lot seem to care so much.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
kov said:
Uh, he meant that no goals were scored against the US when Parise was on the ice vs. Canada, etc.

Does that make more sense now?

Yes, I mean't nothing negative at all toward Mr. Parise. I was pointing out how solid his defensive stats were, and that he deserved the MVP even if the US hadn't won.

CLEAR?

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
punchy1 said:
Well, as HF is a Canadian Website and since the USA beat Canada and fairly for the gold AND Parise won the MVP and were voted that by people from every country thier and NOT the Americans alone you have to conclude two things. One, the majority of the people who feel bad about this issue are going to be Canadians and that they are wrong in thier position. It is due to the fact that they didn't win the tourney and that their player didn't win top honors.

I think this thread shines a bad light on the hundreds of Canadians on this site who don't feel the need to act upset because things didn't go thier way.

I will say this though, I never knew how much Canadians didn't like Americans until this tourney. I watched all of the games but two on TSN(I watched two on a euro channel) and after listening to the worst pro colour guy in the bus in Pierre and watching the Molson "I AM CANADIAN" commercials where they have a bloke hit a yank in the face with a puck and on the moon and then have the yank be so stupid as to try and drink with his lid down I, like many outsiders must have all come to the conclusion that Canadians simply don't like America.

I don't know why they don't, that one will always go right by me mate but it is obvious that there is a feeling of hatered (might be a bit strong of a word but something like it) towards thier neighbors to the south.

I thought the Molson tele ads were rubbish and wondered, along with a pub full of mates, how the world and Canada would react if the USA had a campaign that did the same thing. There would be demonstrations and marches and all of Canada would be upset and on and on. The thing is, I bet you won't see the US run a tele add close to that type because they know its low brow.

I would bet that if asked, without anyone the wiser, that if ANYONE other than the US beat Canada would they have minded it near as much that the answer would be a resounding yes.

If the Fins won it wouldn't have bothered anyone near as much and that is just sad. Its funny but down hear, we tend to like everyone. We rely as a country on sending out wool and after that, tourism is the next way we survive. That being said, we tend to be accepting of Americans and Canadians as the same. The rest of teh world don't see any difference in you two, maybe that is why you lot seem to care so much.

Punchy, Canada wasn't REALLY on the moon when the US arrived!
Its a beer commercial.

And it's a numbers thing.

We have this 3,000+ mile border with 10 X as many people living on the other side; Lots of issues trade, foreign policy, etc, etc. Former PM Pierre Trudeau described it as sleeping next to an elephant. It's not that you don't like him but he makes you nervous. I am sure you have a different perspective down on your islands liking everybody.
More power to you.

PEli*

punchy1 said:

Russia. I was happy to lose to the States because I wouldn't have been able to handle another one goal loss to the Russians.

You've got a point though. There is a certain amount of dislike towards the States. It isn't as widespread as people think though. I have no feelings towards Americans in general. I don't buy the stereotypes but I can laugh at a few harmless jokes (directed towards Americans or Canadians).

I'm sure there have been a few American commercials that poke fun at Canadians. That's fine with me. We're basically identical people anyway. Canadians are just unarmed Americans with free health care. There's a harmless joke.

The Molson ads are all in good taste. Nobody should take them personally. At least I hope they wouldn't.

Back on topic for me though...

What didn't Parise do? He scored, he played solid defensively and created plays. He led by example and was a class act during interviews from home media outlets and Canadian media outlets. As a Devils fan, I'm completely biased here but who else did what Parise did in this tourney?

This seems like one of those "If my team didn't win gold, one of my players should win MVP." It doesn't work like that. I was as ticked off when Giguere won the Conn Smythe but that's the way it works.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
You would be suprised mate at how much the rest of the world tends to like each other. Not just down here in NZ. The thing is, we tend to wait for a reason to not line another person before we do so. You lot seem to hate America and Americans without cause. I would ask what have they done To you? I mean, its obvious what they do for you as in providing for your countries *true* national defence and all of the money that Americans put into Canada and the rest but what did they do TO you to make you specifically dislike them. What did the average Yank do to make you not like the majority of them?

Thanks for pointing out that it were a commercial, thats a load off of my mind. (or) WOW! Really Mate? You mean you lot *weren't* on the moon yet you are a sad enough lot to make a commercial poking at the yanks when you have yet to even build a space ship? That sure makes you look bitter.

Kidding of course but you know, it might be a commercial but that sort of thing wouldn't be allowed to happen in the states without serious anger towards them and that is why I point it out. I saw a couple of others that, while in fun, where at best stupid and at worst, capable of displaying a *feeling* that sends what appears to be the way that most Canadians don't like towards thier American neighbors.

We have Tazmania (smaller) and (in terms that will make it easier for non kiwi to understand) Aussie whom we tend to live in the shadows of and you know what, even though we are two totally different lots of folks with to very different ways of seeing things in general, we tend to respect each other and recognize that the rest of the world sees us as close to the same. We manage this without any general hatered or ill feelings toward each other.

I guess another observation would also be this, it makes you lot look bad when Americans in general in my experience tend to like bloody well everyone that is in thier country (legally) including Canadians and you lot don't return the respect. If there were a specific reason then sure, we all have our differences but, as it is one of them "sleeping elephant" things then it makes you like jelous and bitter instead of the great country full of great people that I saw met and otherwise believed to be there.

Just an observation froma daft kiwi so no real bother but it is one that took me back, and one that your response tends to support. Cheers though mate and I bet that the Worlds will be a Maple Leaf winner!

PEli*

punchy1 said:
You would be suprised mate at how much the rest of the world tends to like each other. Not just down here in NZ. The thing is, we tend to wait for a reason to not line another person before we do so. You lot seem to hate America and Americans without cause. I would ask what have they done To you? I mean, its obvious what they do for you as in providing for your countries *true* national defence and all of the money that Americans put into Canada and the rest but what did they do TO you to make you specifically dislike them. What did the average Yank do to make you not like the majority of them?

Thanks for pointing out that it were a commercial, thats a load off of my mind. (or) WOW! Really Mate? You mean you lot *weren't* on the moon yet you are a sad enough lot to make a commercial poking at the yanks when you have yet to even build a space ship? That sure makes you look bitter.

Kidding of course but you know, it might be a commercial but that sort of thing wouldn't be allowed to happen in the states without serious anger towards them and that is why I point it out. I saw a couple of others that, while in fun, where at best stupid and at worst, capable of displaying a *feeling* that sends what appears to be the way that most Canadians don't like towards thier American neighbors.

We have Tazmania (smaller) and (in terms that will make it easier for non kiwi to understand) Aussie whom we tend to live in the shadows of and you know what, even though we are two totally different lots of folks with to very different ways of seeing things in general, we tend to respect each other and recognize that the rest of the world sees us as close to the same. We manage this without any general hatered or ill feelings toward each other.

I guess another observation would also be this, it makes you lot look bad when Americans in general in my experience tend to like bloody well everyone that is in thier country (legally) including Canadians and you lot don't return the respect. If there were a specific reason then sure, we all have our differences but, as it is one of them "sleeping elephant" things then it makes you like jelous and bitter instead of the great country full of great people that I saw met and otherwise believed to be there.

Just an observation froma daft kiwi so no real bother but it is one that took me back, and one that your response tends to support. Cheers though mate and I bet that the Worlds will be a Maple Leaf winner!

I think you're basing a lot of this on a commercial and a few teenagers posting here. That's not a very fair judgement but if that's what you think, that's fine.

I've got no dislike towards Americans at all. I think it's cool that the two countries can poke fun at each other and not take it seriously. There have been American commercials that poke fun at Canadians and nobody cared. It's a joke. Canadians know it's a joke and Americans do as well.

Nobody is jealous, nobody is bitter and nobody cares. You're reading too much into this. Do you honestly think that the Molson commercial was made to make all Americans look like idiots? I don't. Molson commercials are generally made to further the stereotypes of Canadians.

This will be my last post on such a stupid argument. We've gone from Parise not deserving MVP to conspiracies about Canadians as a whole disliking and disrespecting Americans as a whole. Whatever.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
punchy1 said:
You mean you lot *weren't* on the moon yet you are a sad enough lot to make a commercial poking at the yanks when you have yet to even build a space ship? !

Bingo! We're making AT LEAST as much fun of ourselves as the Yanks and that's why I think that particular commercial is so funny. ( I know there are other commercials that are pretty lame)

Most of the guys I know who watched the game had a response like "OUCH, and worst of all it was to the AMERICANS....but maybe this will help their hockey programme etc. etc.... some of my best friends are American, at least their not from Toronto etc.etc.!"

All very superficial and harmless IMO and I think there's a level of respect implied as long as its in good humour. (thus "the down on your islands liking everyone" barb.)

Anyway, not bitter, don't see the point, and Parise good choice for MVP.

p.s. did I mention he's Canadian

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
Playing for the dreaded and hated Yanks... Duh dun dunnnnn..........

I didn't see that one as funny but see where it were trying to be so. It isn't the tele add though that were the point, it was more the fact that something that was the Cans taking a shot at the Yanks.....again....and again.... were what my observation were about. The add itself were just silly and sort of lame but then, I don't know many of them that aren't.

Allot of my mates were up in a piss about the whole "I will put another prawn on the barby adds of years back. I thought they were funny. Of course, if you were to say that to one of the Burleigh gold coast boys he would have handed you your jaw in sections but I would still have laughed at them.

So, again, not having a piss at you specifically as I like what you write, I were making the observation that until I head Pierre and saw them adds, I truly had little idea that the north americans had a thing against the americans. The Yanks and the Habs are, like us, (the aussies and the kiwi) viewed as the same no matter how each of believe and try to make the rest believe about our totally different ways. Oh, and don't get me started about the riff between Maori and Kiwi or Tazzies and Kiwi and Aussies and Maoris and the rest. It gets downright fuedal!

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
Oh, and peli, I think you are reading too much emotion into my observations. They are written in a happy enough tone and simply pointing out a way it appears to me, a daft kiwi. Not meant in anger or as cynical or anything like that.

I didn't stay in America but for 11 1/2 months so I can't comment on them adding at the Cans. I can say that the south park movie with "Blame Canada" would start a bloody war at most locations around the world if it weren't blatently funny. (or meant to be so)

Parise was the best player in the tourney but that said, anyone who plays the game owes thier passage to Canada for it and in my experience, most of the US players either end up playing in Canada prior to the NHL or in the NHL or for a juniour team or thier mum or da were from there or something like that so to me, The USA's bunch of psuedo habs beat the regular habs for the trophy with the exception of a few.

Brady Murray could have played for both and I bet that there are several members of each team that could have played for allot of different countries making the entire idea of this being something for ANY nation to be actually proud of even more distilled.

Cheers.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Crosbyfan said:
Anyway, not bitter, don't see the point, and Parise good choice for MVP.

p.s. did I mention he's Canadian

You're the second person I've heard say this. The kid was born and raised in Minnesota. Where do people get the idea he is Canadian?

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
cagney said:
You're the second person I've heard say this. The kid was born and raised in Minnesota. Where do people get the idea he is Canadian?

His Dad is J.P. Parise. Famous for swinging his stick at Soviet ref In '72 Summit Series. Played for Minnesota North Stars. Now at Shattuck St. Mary's where Sidney Crosby was last year and Zach before that.

edit:swinging his stick-didn't land it, very frustrated at ref so he scared the crap out of him. I think he got a game misconduct.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->