Parise for Pouliot, Jacques

Status
Not open for further replies.

elphy101

Nov 8, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
I just wanted to revisit this trade from two years ago.

New Jersey moved up in the draft to select Zach Parise who scored 15-39-54 in 66 games in the AHL as a 20 year old. Despite being a smaller player, he has put up great numbers everywhere he has played.

Trading down allowed the Oilers to select Marc-Antoine Pouliot who scored 45-69-114 in 70 games as a 19 year old in the QJMHL. He put up the 4th most points in the entire CHL.

With the second round pick included in the deal, the Oilers selected powerforward Jean-Francois Jacques who scored 36-42-78 in 69 games. Good for 15th in the QMJHL. But Jacques is more known as a punishing powerforward measure 6'4 220 pounds. He was the leading scorer on his team the Baie Comeau Drakar and won 3 1st star games selections despite his team losing 6 six games in the first round of the playoffs.

Anyway, the question is who do you think won this deal?

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The rule of the thumb in these sort of exercises is who came out with the best player? I maintain that's Parise, so New Jersey came out ahead. That doesn't mean Edmonton fans should be disappointed, but that IMO Parise is one of those players that will be a success anywhere he plays.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
New Jersey won untill Pouliot proves he can play the pro game and prove he can stay healthy for an extended period of time allthough I feel Pouliot could become a Gagne type player.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Going with the assumption Parise can put up 30-35 more points than Pouliot, (I think that's a little high, but hey) the Oilers still come out on top. Pouliot is known for his great defensive skills as much as his offensive skills. His EV +/- will always be respectable. Jacques is a 30-35 point guy who destroys the opposition with thundering checks. In the end, adding a (conservative) estimation of 55 points on average from Pouliot with 30 from Jacques makes up 85 total points, around where I think Parise produces. However, what Parise lacks is what those two bring to the table- momentum-changing hits (Jacques) and the defense that wins championships (Pouliot). And while it's not in one player, MAP and JFJ will obviously have a combined TOI that's higher than Parise's, meaning the Oilers get more value out of their acquisitions.

This doesn't mean I wouldn't like Parise on my team- he's a born offensive dynamo. However, Lowe made a smart trade and even smarter selections that provides two things the Oilers didn't have before by sacrificing a type of player they ended up with anyway (Schremp).

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Way, way, way, way too soon to figure out who won this trade. That said, I'm comfortable with giving up that 2nd rounder to secure Parise.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
It's not just a matter of who comes out with the better player(s), it's a matter of who fills their needs the best. Jacques and Pouliot are bigger players than Parise - if they fill active duty and play physical, from the point of view of the Oilers, I think they came out FAR ahead.

I'm not saying Parise can't play well because of his size - he can, and that's not the point. A small player can do quite well - but it's hard to succeed when your WHOLE team is small, or even just all of your centres.

This isn't to say that NJ lost from their perspective - it IS possible to have a trade that's a win-win situation for both teams. If they've got the physical team to protect small players, then they come ahead by getting the small high end player. Edmonton's not in the best position to do that, so they're better off getting the larger physical players who could potentially become journeymen, or even skilled players in their own right.

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Kestrel said:
It's not just a matter of who comes out with the better player(s), it's a matter of who fills their needs the best. Jacques and Pouliot are bigger players than Parise - if they fill active duty and play physical, from the point of view of the Oilers, I think they came out FAR ahead.

I'm not saying Parise can't play well because of his size - he can, and that's not the point. A small player can do quite well - but it's hard to succeed when your WHOLE team is small, or even just all of your centres.

This isn't to say that NJ lost from their perspective - it IS possible to have a trade that's a win-win situation for both teams. If they've got the physical team to protect small players, then they come ahead by getting the small high end player. Edmonton's not in the best position to do that, so they're better off getting the larger physical players who could potentially become journeymen, or even skilled players in their own right.

I agree. This is one of those rare win-win situations. If all 3 players fulfill their potentials I think Edmonton might come out on top of this deal, especially with Jaques who IMO can be a force if his game comes together. Presently however, New Jersey is probably liking the trade more and more as Parise has pretty much proven he can play well at any level of competition.

gabpas

Jan 25, 2003
Aylmer
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
IMO it's still Parise and New Jersey easily. No question. I still don't by Pouliot. I also don't see Jacques being more then a third liner.

In the long run Edmonton iwill be a better team with Pouliot and Jacques than with just Parise. I believe this is how Lowe looked at this deal and it was not a question of drafting the BPA. A calculated and smart move by Lowe.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
IMO it's still Parise and New Jersey easily. No question. I still don't by Pouliot. I also don't see Jacques being more then a third liner.

Parise's production in the AHL this year is very telling - it's pretty good but it looks like he will be a smaller 2nd line player similar to Comrie, York or Briere. History does not suggest that his AHL performance will translate into a top line player - and that's why the trade was made from an Oiler perspective irrespective of McGuire's rants.

We will know a lot more after Pouliot and JFJ actually play their first year of pro hockey. They look like they are developing well - but next year is when you will know who won or lost. Could be the deal worked for both sides - and who could have a problem with that. Most Oiler fans would not undo the deal right now - and neither would the NJD crew.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Ask Edmonton and they'll say they want Parise back if given the opportunity, but it's not like they are feeling spurned here.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
gabpas said:
In the long run Edmonton iwill be a better team with Pouliot and Jacques than with just Parise. I believe this is how Lowe looked at this deal and it was not a question of drafting the BPA. A calculated and smart move by Lowe.

FWIW, I believe Lowe said at the time of the draft that if they hadn't made the move to trade down they'd have taken Pouliot at 17 anyways.

I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I think that's the gist of what he said when they did the20 second post pick interview on TSN at the 2003 draft.

GorillazXL

Jun 21, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
Kestrel said:
...I'm not saying Parise can't play well because of his size - he can, and that's not the point. A small player can do quite well - but it's hard to succeed when your WHOLE team is small, or even just all of your centres...Edmonton's not in the best position to do that, so they're better off getting the larger physical players who could potentially become journeymen, or even skilled players in their own right.

This is probally the reason why this deal was done. At the time Comrie and York were both young healthy centers in the Oilers system, add Marchant into the mix and you've got basically three centremans on the smallish side. In 03 when Lowe was at the podium, he was looking for skill (who wouldn't) but he also wanted size. You can't draft for both without taking some risk, and that's why they picked Pouliot.

I think they Oilers scouting staff knew of Parise's ability as an offensive player with good hockey sense but they felt he could only help them to a certain extent. Getting two larger bodies (Poluiot and Jacques) would add size and perhaps some skill into the Oilers system.

GXL

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Asiaoil said:
Parise's production in the AHL this year is very telling - it's pretty good but it looks like he will be a smaller 2nd line player similar to Comrie, York or Briere. History does not suggest that his AHL performance will translate into a top line player - and that's why the trade was made from an Oiler perspective irrespective of McGuire's rants.

We will know a lot more after Pouliot and JFJ actually play their first year of pro hockey. They look like they are developing well - but next year is when you will know who won or lost. Could be the deal worked for both sides - and who could have a problem with that. Most Oiler fans would not undo the deal right now - and neither would the NJD crew.
You obviously never seen Parise playa since you are comparing him to one dimentional forwards.

zamboni

Apr 25, 2003
Visit site
Guy Flaming said:
I have. you're wrong.

Geez. Talk about getting told. :)

Sure, Pouliot and JFJ haven't proven anything in the AHL. However, all 3 have yet to prove a thing in the NHL. It will take a few years to see who won this trade.

As for the Mike York being one dimensional thing, give your head a shake.

Dallas

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
I think York is about the best comparison there is for Parise. I don't see why some people have a problem with that... York is a great player.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
"Despite being a smaller player"..........

Zach Parise Center
Height 5.11 -- Weight 185

Joe Sakic Center

Steve Yzerman Center

Adam Oates Center
Height 5.11 -- Weight 190

"Despite being a smaller players" These guys had pretty good careers.

I wonder why I never heard ONCE heard on these boards despite being a smaller player Crosby is pretty good???

Sidney Crosby Center
Height 5.10 -- Weight 175 -- Shoots L

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
JimEIV said:
"Despite being a smaller player"..........

Zach Parise Center

Joe Sakic Center

Steve Yzerman Center

Adam Oates Center
Height 5.11 -- Weight 190

"Despite being a smaller players" These guys had pretty good careers.

I wonder why I never heard ONCE heard on these boards despite being a smaller player Crosby is pretty good???

Sidney Crosby Center
Height 5.10 -- Weight 175 -- Shoots L

Actually, arent we hearing about 5 times a week about how Crosby is too small and it could hurt him? I'm pretty sure it's something we do heard a plentora of time...

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
dallas81838 said:
I think York is about the best comparison there is for Parise. I don't see why some people have a problem with that... York is a great player.

I think that young Parise reminds me more of a young Dougie Weight with a touch of Peter Forsberg thrown in there rather than Mike York...

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
A couple things:

1. I recall Lowe's comments being pretty much what speeds detailed earlier. We can certainly call it "spin" but the Oilers clearly felt comfortable with Pouliot on draft day.

2. Parise had a very good AHL season as a 20 year old. igor on the Oiler board has suggested that often a 20 year old with a 1/1 gp/ppg ratio has projects as a top 2 line player at the NHL level (I don't want to misrepresent it but imo that's basically the idea).

If we give a little extra credit to Parise for playing in a better than normal AHL this season it could reasonably be argued that he projects as a guy who is going to be successful on the skill lines at the NHL level.

I don't think he's Bobby Clarke gritty or anything but from what little I've seen he isn't a perimeter player either.

MAP's 20 year old season is straight ahead. If you asked me to bet a fin on Pouliot having better AHL numbers next season than Parise did this season I don't think I would take that bet.

Still like the deal as an Oiler fan, though.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
GorillazXL said:
I don't think its any slant against Parise to say he plays like Mike York.

GXL
Sorry, I only read the Comrie and Briere then went off since this guy only bashes Parise. I actually think Parise will be a clone of York with more plymaking skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad