Parise--Albany

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Parise has 8 points in 6 games in the AHL...How do people feel about his adjustment to professional hockey...?

Is the AHL a significant step up from North Dakota, college hockey?

Physically it would appear he is still able to survive enough to score points at the AHL...if he can put up close to a point a game in the A, then you would think he would be able to translate his game to the NHL, even though it is increasingly more physical...

what do we all think...?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
eh not necessarily...putting up points in the AHL is a lot different that putting up points in the NHL. many an AHL scorer has flopped miserably in the NHL

parise will probably be a good player in the NHL though, i'm just pointing out that AHL success doesn't have a direct correlation to NHL success

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Qubax said:
Parise has 8 points in 6 games in the AHL...How do people feel about his adjustment to professional hockey...?

Is the AHL a significant step up from North Dakota, college hockey?

Physically it would appear he is still able to survive enough to score points at the AHL...if he can put up close to a point a game in the A, then you would think he would be able to translate his game to the NHL, even though it is increasingly more physical...

what do we all think...?

The AHL is a significant step up from college hockey. The AHL is arguably the second best professional league in the world (depending on how one views the European elite leagues like the RSL, SEL etc). The fact Parise is averaging over a point-a-game, in a league that is similar to the NHL in style is a good sign. I don't think he'll have any problem translating his success to the next level.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Rabid Ranger said:
The AHL is a significant step up from college hockey. The AHL is arguably the second best professional league in the world (depending on how one views the European elite leagues like the RSL, SEL etc). The fact Parise is averaging over a point-a-game, in a league that is similar to the NHL in style is a good sign. I don't think he'll have any problem translating his success to the next level.
I'm sorry but I rather see the Kings prospects put up points in the SEL, SM-Liiga, RSL etc. than in the AHL.

PEli*

Frolov 6'3 said:
I'm sorry but I rather see the Kings prospects put up points in the SEL, SM-Liiga, RSL etc. than in the AHL.

Why? Europeans are playing against the best players of their country. Not the second best players in the world.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
PEli said:
Why? Europeans are playing against the best players of their country. Not the second best players in the world.
I didn't know they were the second best players in the world, that's news to me.

Like Levitate said, many AHL scorers have flopped miserably in the NHL. Only the "can't miss" Euro prospects are coming over to N-A but that doesn't mean that many other prospects/players can't put up points in the NHL. If a prospect scores a lot of points in for instance the RSL then I would take him any day over somebody from the AHL.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Levitate said:
eh not necessarily...putting up points in the AHL is a lot different that putting up points in the NHL. many an AHL scorer has flopped miserably in the NHL

parise will probably be a good player in the NHL though, i'm just pointing out that AHL success doesn't have a direct correlation to NHL success

I agree with everything you said.

That being said, like you, I expect him to be a good player in the NHL. I really, really like Parise and think he will one of the best NHLers of the 2003 draft in the next 10 years.

The fact he is one of the AHL scoring leaders among rookies is always enouraging but it is not an absolute proof of anything.

Concerning Euro league, they are not a big step below or above the AHL for a developing player, IMO. Each league is its own universe with strengths and weaknesses and ultimately, whether you were producing in the SEL, AHL or RSL, you still have to adjust to the NHL game.

The player is much more important than the league he plays in so I've never understood the silly debates on which league is best.

This season, the AHL should be particularly strong with a couple of guys who should be in the NHL, so it is a special year. It's great to see Zach doing well statistically under those circumstances, although this is only a small sample of games.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The fact Parise is averaging over a point-a-game, in a league that is similar to the NHL in style is a good sign. I don't think he'll have any problem translating his success to the next level.

it's a good sign but also consider that chad wiseman and dominic moore of the rangers are averaging a point per game in the AHL too...does that mean they won't have any trouble translating their success to the NHL?

that's just kinda the point i'm tryin to make. parise can average a point per game in the AHL and still flop in the NHL (though i doubt that'll happen) it's definatly good that he's not doing crappy in the AHL of course, but again...there's not an iron clad correlation between success in the AHL and the NHL. I expect parise will struggle like most rookies when he gets his first NHL action

i'm just nitpicking though

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
what makes Parise's accomplishments a little more important than wiseman or someone like that is the fact he is 20 years old putting up those kinds of numbers in the AHL. It's a little different for a 1st year pro to be doing this than a guy whose been floating around the minors for a number of years.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Levitate said:
it's a good sign but also consider that chad wiseman and dominic moore of the rangers are averaging a point per game in the AHL too...does that mean they won't have any trouble translating their success to the NHL?

that's just kinda the point i'm tryin to make. parise can average a point per game in the AHL and still flop in the NHL (though i doubt that'll happen) it's definatly good that he's not doing crappy in the AHL of course, but again...there's not an iron clad correlation between success in the AHL and the NHL. I expect parise will struggle like most rookies when he gets his first NHL action

i'm just nitpicking though

I agree with what you're saying. I'm a big fan of Parise's though, and think that what he brings to the table will translate well to the NHL, and he will be if not a star player, a very good one. He doesn't have alot of weaknesses, and IMO, his desire and dedication should overcome those.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Frolov 6'3 said:
I didn't know they were the second best players in the world, that's news to me.

Like Levitate said, many AHL scorers have flopped miserably in the NHL. Only the "can't miss" Euro prospects are coming over to N-A but that doesn't mean that many other prospects/players can't put up points in the NHL. If a prospect scores a lot of points in for instance the RSL then I would take him any day over somebody from the AHL.

The problem with your argument is the RSL isn't that much better than the AHL, if at all.

Double O Soul

Apr 1, 2004
Raleigh NC
Vlad The Impaler said:
There was at least a game where he didn't have a point. I think it was in the last three (am I anal or what? :D )

well, I had to be doubly anal :)shakehead ) and check it out, and he has scored a point in every game hes played. He was a healthy scratch for one game....

but feel free to go for the unprecedented triple anal and recheck :D

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
moonstomper said:
well, I had to be doubly anal :)shakehead ) and check it out, and he has scored a point in every game hes played. He was a healthy scratch for one game....

but feel free to go for the unprecedented triple anal and recheck :D

No thanks! I'm afraid if I did, I might have to go see a therapist three times a week :D

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
After seeing him play a few times, I think his downside is Daymond Langkow, while his upside is Doug Weight.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
X-SHARKIE said:
Parise numbers IMO are very impressive, the kid can play, and if you think he wont be able to do it in the NHL.....you'll eat your words in a couple years.

Thomas Vanek on the other hand....UGLY numbers.
Very valid point you make there Sharkie. I would not call Vanek a lesser player than Parise, but they are different. In being different people still choose to compare what each will bring to his team once in the NHL. I think Vanek will be a very good sniper for Buffalo, but Parise has a very polished game all around, that with some experience will really flourish. Vanek is to a very large extent a one dimensional guy...but when he is on, what a dimension.

ManuelCalavera

La-La-La-Locked Out
Apr 7, 2003
Rochester, NY
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Thomas Vanek on the other hand....UGLY numbers.

In his defense, however, he apparently has been struggling mightily with a groin injury, and begged the coach to stay in despite doctor's recommendations. They finally sat him last game, and hopefully he'll heal soon. Oh yah, another point: the Amerks have absolutely imploded thus far...

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Vlad The Impaler said:
Concerning Euro league, they are not a big step below or above the AHL for a developing player, IMO. Each league is its own universe with strengths and weaknesses and ultimately, whether you were producing in the SEL, AHL or RSL, you still have to adjust to the NHL game.
Just a question of interest... How many NHL playeyers with more than 300 games played in the NHL have played more than a full season in the AHL (not counting like several stints in the AHL etc.).

edit: I can think of Satan.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Danny Briere? Im not sure if he's played a full AHL season but he spent parts of several seasons there.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
mattihp said:
Just a question of interest... How many NHL playeyers with more than 300 games played in the NHL have played more than a full season in the AHL (not counting like several stints in the AHL etc.).

edit: I can think of Satan.

Theodore

Well one season of 53 games, plus two 26-27 ones... not sure if it counts

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
not saying that parise won't succeed, but i don't think he's gonna match his AHL production in the NHL...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad