Proposal: Parise + 1st for future considerations

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
The acquiring team can buy out the final three years easily, when Zach will only get 4M in actual money. The cap recapture penalties will have a very minor effect on any team but the Wild, who will get hammered with them.

That's why this trade is such a bad idea for MN. They will have no control on whether the other team will buy him out, whereas, if they keep him, they can arrange for a LTIR, similar to Seabrook and Hossa. The other team has no incentive to LTIR him, and will buy him out instead for a paltry 2.66M after next year.

It's not like Parise doesn't have physical issues. He could barely walk for a couple of years, and has already had a discectomy. The man's back doesn't allow him to skate.

'easily'

51796.jpg

Like I said, it's buyout-proof. You can't buy it out without a cap hit close to his AAV.

What team wants to carry those cap hits for 4 years?

Reactions: banks

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Barring being able to LTIR him, we’ll want to free up his 7.53 million/year cap hit in the coming years. He’s due 6 million in actual dollars next year, but just 2 Million, 1 million and 1 Million over the final three years. Could be enticing to a team that never pushes the cap ceiling like AZ and could get them a first rounder back. Would likely be our own first.

This is at the point where he’s not breaking into our lineup so he’s willing to waive his NMC

You need to familiarize yourself with AZ's cap situation the last few years.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I mean, I would. He's just going to retire or LTIRetire in a year or two, so who cares?
That's a risk banking on LTIR and retirement. If he decides not to retire then another 2 x 1st round picks should be sacrificed, if conditions were allowed.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Barring being able to LTIR him, we’ll want to free up his 7.53 million/year cap hit in the coming years. He’s due 6 million in actual dollars next year, but just 2 Million, 1 million and 1 Million over the final three years. Could be enticing to a team that never pushes the cap ceiling like AZ and could get them a first rounder back. Would likely be our own first.

This is at the point where he’s not breaking into our lineup so he’s willing to waive his NMC
First off there's zero chance he'd waive for AZ, Rumors have it that he'd only waive for the New York islanders seeing that his Dad was with them at one time.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
That's a risk banking on LTIR and retirement. If he decides not to retire then another 2 x 1st round picks should be sacrificed, if conditions were allowed.

We've seen players just about forced onto LTIR by their clubs. I would not be concerned about this. 38 year old Zach Parise is not going to fight tooth and nail to stay in the league as his abilities are declining and fans are turning hostile. Just not going to happen.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't see Minnesota paying someone to take Parise, especially for what it'd likely cost. The guy's lower back is all Elmer's glue and popsicle sticks so legitimately ending up on LTIR for the last year or two of the deal is all but inevitable. Until then he'll have to earn the minutes he gets, like anyone else. Thankfully.

The biggest obstacle he presents right now is the expansion draft slot, and at this point he has nothing to gain from refusing to waive.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't see Minnesota paying someone to take Parise, especially for what it'd likely cost. The guy's lower back is all Elmer's glue and popsicle sticks so legitimately ending up on LTIR for the last year or two of the deal is all but inevitable. Until then he'll have to earn the minutes he gets, like anyone else. Thankfully.

The biggest obstacle he presents right now is the expansion draft slot, and at this point he has nothing to gain from refusing to waive.

tenor.gif

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
First off there's zero chance he'd waive for AZ, Rumors have it that he'd only waive for the New York islanders seeing that his Dad was with them at one time.
Basically the excuse he used after the deal fell through to make it seem like he wasn't wanting out for a contender.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

I mean it kind of depends on who else MIN exposes. Yes they could expose another good player like Greenway or Fiala or Dumba, but if they somehow find a way to protect all of them, I could see SEA taking Parise as a marketing piece. Like you said he could easily be LTIRed in a few years so it wouldn't be that bad of a cap hit.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I mean it kind of depends on who else MIN exposes. Yes they could expose another good player like Greenway or Fiala or Dumba, but if they somehow find a way to protect all of them, I could see SEA taking Parise as a marketing piece. Like you said he could easily be LTIRed in a few years so it wouldn't be that bad of a cap hit.

Yeah I can't think of a better way to market a new franchise than a 37 year old piece of severely overpaid macaroni art that's going to have to be LTIRetired in as little as a year or two.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
1st isn't enough, it took a 1st for one year of Marleau and that was pre-COVID. Only option in a trade is for a bad contract in return (e.g. Ladd).

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020

There is zero chance wild are exposing fiala or dumba

Bye bye Greenway . Wild need room.fir Matt boldy, & Adam Beckham

Can't believe you put fiala on here

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
1st isn't enough, it took a 1st for one year of Marleau and that was pre-COVID. Only option in a trade is for a bad contract in return (e.g. Ladd).

Ladd whose not even playing in NHL?

Wild aren't trading parise or buying him out. Wild didn't buy out Rask this past summer. Doesn't seem like we have a GM who will buy out players, or trade assets with them

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'd like to hear an argument for them taking the 2021 version of Zach Parise over Carson Soucy, Marcus Foligno or... literally anyone else. This is especially true if Seattle is looking even a little bit toward Vegas as a model for success: old, slow players with heavy contracts should be considered poison to them. There's no marketing to extract from the guy at this point, if there ever was outside of Minnesota.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
There is zero chance wild are exposing fiala or dumba

Bye bye Greenway . Wild need room.fir Matt boldy, & Adam Beckham

Can't believe you put fiala on here
I mean it really depends on what they go with. They currently have to protect Parise and Zucc, I feel like JEE is a lock and I would think Fiala is probably the other but Greenway has scored 15 points in 20 games and is a power forward while Fiala is at 9 in 17. Dumba is only if they go 731 which I doubt.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Thanks, I'm aware that Minneapolis is colder than NJ. I wasn't aware that Parise actually didn't like warm weather, haha, that's not one that I've heard a lot. Anyway, before I knew that my thinking was that if he was going to waive it would be to go to a more comfortable place to play than NJ and his priorities may have shifted since he signed that contract 9 years ago.

Hockey players aren't usually like football, basketball players when it comes to weather. They were born and raised in the cold. They desire the changing seasons.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona

Interesting.

Norwegianoiler

Nov 17, 2014
Disregarding the "negotiations" going on here - it's not surprising to see these sort-of-circumventing contracts catch up to teams. Still, Parise's delivered some solid years in MIN and I've always regarded him as a hard-working gritty, but skilled player. I'd love to have the less injury riddled version on the Oilers, but the salary cannot be worth it for any team in the present situation.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I mean it really depends on what they go with. They currently have to protect Parise and Zucc, I feel like JEE is a lock and I would think Fiala is probably the other but Greenway has scored 15 points in 20 games and is a power forward while Fiala is at 9 in 17. Dumba is only if they go 731 which I doubt.

This is exactly why basing an argument off stat watching is so bad. If the choice comes down to Fiala or Greenway, Greenway is gone with no hesitation.

Reactions: KaprizovEntitlelist

TBF1972

May 19, 2018

LOL
Arizona was basically forced to buyout Grabner to get under cap to start the season and only the Stepan trade, shortly before the season started, brought them safely below the cap limit.

The Parise cap hit is an issue for every NHL team to fit in. So the compensation for 4+ seasons will be way more than one 1st round pick. I assume not even Kaprizov could save you here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad