Parent refusing to wear mask

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Ya that’s probably true, but I suspect he will pull her out of the program if the owner bans him, just as an FU.

She plays for another team, under a different association, so he would probably just keep her there going fwd out of spite.

Again, just me speculating based on what I know about him...

Just many angles I have to consider or I would have already told the owner.

The good news is he had his mask on yesterday.

So I don’t know if the team manger said something to him again or what, but I’m hoping he finally got the msg through his thick skull.
I would feel a lot less bad about finding a way to kick him out if he backslides on that. I mean, they've got another team AND sound crazy enough that they'd still find a way to fill up her calendar with hockey? I wouldn't even think twice about proceeding with any and all manner of reporting the guy if he goes back to flouting the rules. Sounds like his girl is not going to miss out, even if they ended up being kicked out.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I would feel a lot less bad about finding a way to kick him out if he backslides on that. I mean, they've got another team AND sound crazy enough that they'd still find a way to fill up her calendar with hockey? I wouldn't even think twice about proceeding with any and all manner of reporting the guy if he goes back to flouting the rules. Sounds like his girl is not going to miss out, even if they ended up being kicked out.

With cases going up around where we live, I’m starting to lean towards telling the owner if he acts like a douche nozzle again.

It’s basically weighing one little girl maybe getting screwed over vs everyone else at the rink being put at risk.

That’s what I’ve been telling myself so I feel better about it.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Sick people and these same germs existed 2 years ago, why didn’t you wear masks then??

Congratulations! You just made one of, if not the dumbest posts in HFB history. Quite a feat actually.

These “germs” didn’t exist ‘years ago’. The virus that causes COVID-19 jumped from bats to an intermediary animal and mutated in order to infect humans only as early as 10-11 months ago, when the pandemic happened.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think you and the rest of the parents are being too kind. There's just so many chances you can give someone before they should face the consequences. And, IMHO, if part of those consequences is him having to explain to his daughter why she can't play hockey anymore, that could be a good thing. It might make him smarten up or at least start following protocols. If no consequences come down, what incentive does he have to follow them?

Yes, it'll suck for his daughter, but in terms of big picture, it's not like she's being denied something vital. Imagine your daughter coming up and asking you "Why won't you wear a mask, so I can play hockey?"

If he's not the type of parent that would make that small sacrifice for the happiness of his daughter, maybe it's good that they learn that sooner rather than later.

Might come down to this, unfortunately. Remember though @Mr Jiggyfly , no matter how many times he's been talked to, you will catch more flies with honey than vinegar. When you approach him on the subject that he clearly shows a bias to, you have a narrow window to make your case. If you let your emotions get the better of you (or approach with the tone and manner a lot here have) and instantly start with a negative, you will lose the battle in the first seconds and strengthen his resolve towards the behavior. In his mind, it reaffirms that he is not the asshole but rather you (or whoever talks to him) is and that's the opposite of what you want. Perception is reality and reality is subjective.

The messaging behind masks has been a complete and utter failure and everyone has played their role in making that happen. We are all way too quick to assign and categorize people as good or bad based on little information. And please, don't say something like "believe in science". That makes you look stupid, ironically. That's both from that guy's POV and from a general POV. So this goes back to my original statement, a lot matters on how you approach a defiant person on the subject. If you immediately attack and he gets defensive, you have yourself to blame for the interaction. Too often, people don't understand what a person is actually responding to.

Here is an approach that I have found that works more often than not and I think will be of some help. I'll call him Jack and the daughter Kate and your daughter Jade.

"Hey Jack, how's it going? Blah blah blah (something about the weather or recent events that he would relate to). How's Kate enjoying the season? Pretty crummy with COVID, eh? How's it going for you guys on that front? How's work been? (*it is at this point you actively listen to what he has to say from an objective stance. You can disagree but still listen like a good person*). Yeah, I hear ya. Works been tough, the kids are certainly sick of it, and schools been (however school has been going - likely his daughter is going through the same). Thankfully though we can still come here though, right? Yeah, it's nice that the league/rink was able to keep this going. I know Jade really enjoys being able to play and we certainly love being able to watch. Hey listen, Jack, on that subject, the parents got together and asked me to talk to you. There are several people that get uncomfortable when you put the mask under your chin. (*At this point, let him respond but remember to keep your cool or you'll blow it*). Yeah, I understand your position on it. Everyone has a different point of view. But here's the thing Jack, each parent wants to come here and enjoy watching their kid. That's why we're all here, right? You love coming here and watching Kate. When you put that mask under your chin, which is against what has been asked, it causes the other parents not to enjoy their time watching their kid. And yeah, I get it that some people are absolutely ruined mentally by this thing (meaning COVID), I do. In reality though, we are all doing our best to manage with it and that means different things to different people. One of the things we are asking is that you wear the mask properly so that it doesn't add to the mental anguish/frustration. This is supposed to be a place where we come for some relief and some good times. When you don't wear your mask properly, you are taking that away from some of the other parents, which is why I've been asked to talk to you. We're not mad, we still like you, we still want you and Kate to come here obviously, but we would like for you to wear the mask properly. It may or may not help with the actual virus exposure, I don't know, it may or may not. But what it does help with is calming and providing comfort to the other parents that come to watch their kids.

*Here is where you can go a step further - what type of mask does he wear? If all you see are those garbage second rate china "surgical masks", then you may opt to purchase him a better one. Hell, at Coscto, you can get a 4 pack of nice ones for like $10. You can get the balaclavas to do the trick cheap as well. "ramble ramble ramble not MY job to buy the asshole masks!" Yup, totally right, but if he sees that you've gone out of your way to get him one, that elicits a subconscious response in him that you care. Whether that manifests into shame, anger, or thankfulness is up for debate - keep in mind, your approach and tone will heavily weight into this. If you are that hard up for cash, let me know, and I'll buy and send you one myself.*

"Here Jack, we thought this mask/balaclava/etc, would work a little better or be more comfortable. We got it because we want you to be able to come and enjoy watching Jade and help other parents feel more comfortable too. The rink manager was suggesting that they may no longer allow Jade to come if it continues. And the other parents don't want that."

In this conversation, you approached it from a non-threatening manner. You didn't start on the offense and put him on the defense to start. That ruins any and all ability to influence change. Instead, you talked to him like a decent person, let him explain his position, and most importantly, you didn't rage against his opinions (like so many people do). Each time he directs it towards reinforcing his behavior, acknowledge and accept and then redirect towards the reasons I mentioned above. And you've kept your cool because you understand that tone and manner is paramount. When you use those points, it's not an "us vs you and you better conform to us or else" but rather a "Hey, we're all in this together and we want you here". The "us vs you and 'you're selfish' and 'blah blah blah science!'" and all that...toxic. To both causes.

I think Jiggy remembers what I do for a living. For the rest of you, this is what I do for a living. 2 BSs, 2 MSs, a bunch of letters after the name, and over 8 months of helping 50+ companies with tens of thousands of employees navigate this stuff. Here's a couple of tidbits I can share with you: 1. Remember, 99.9% of people don't know what the f*** they are talking about so be careful with how confident you are in berating others for having different opinions. The person who knows how to put on a bandaid thinks he's smart until he talks to an EMT. The EMT thinks he's smart until he talks to a paramedic. The paramedic thinks he's smart until he talks to the doctor. 2. Every person is struggling. Some more than others. Deciding good vs bad using your viewpoint as the standard puts you in the bad category more often than not. 3. Sometimes defiant behavior is a defense mechanism in which the person is exerting control over something they can actually control...while living in a world full of things they can't. He may not be a "selfish, science-denying asshole"...he may just be scared. Have empathy and compassion for people. We all come from different places. What's "easy" to you may not be "easy" to the next person. Smoking to me is easy not to do especially with all the evidence out there and yet...people smoke. Making "good decisions" seems relatively easy to me...to others, obviously, not so easy. We, as a society, are filled with different perspectives and viewpoints. 4. It's not that hard to be a good guy. Help others. Especially now.

I came this forum to get advice on sticks...that's where I will return to.

Reactions: its josh

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Might come down to this, unfortunately. Remember though @Mr Jiggyfly , no matter how many times he's been talked to, you will catch more flies with honey than vinegar. When you approach him on the subject that he clearly shows a bias to, you have a narrow window to make your case. If you let your emotions get the better of you (or approach with the tone and manner a lot here have) and instantly start with a negative, you will lose the battle in the first seconds and strengthen his resolve towards the behavior. In his mind, it reaffirms that he is not the asshole but rather you (or whoever talks to him) is and that's the opposite of what you want. Perception is reality and reality is subjective.

The messaging behind masks has been a complete and utter failure and everyone has played their role in making that happen. We are all way too quick to assign and categorize people as good or bad based on little information. And please, don't say something like "believe in science". That makes you look stupid, ironically. That's both from that guy's POV and from a general POV. So this goes back to my original statement, a lot matters on how you approach a defiant person on the subject. If you immediately attack and he gets defensive, you have yourself to blame for the interaction. Too often, people don't understand what a person is actually responding to.

Here is an approach that I have found that works more often than not and I think will be of some help. I'll call him Jack and the daughter Kate and your daughter Jade.

"Hey Jack, how's it going? Blah blah blah (something about the weather or recent events that he would relate to). How's Kate enjoying the season? Pretty crummy with COVID, eh? How's it going for you guys on that front? How's work been? (*it is at this point you actively listen to what he has to say from an objective stance. You can disagree but still listen like a good person*). Yeah, I hear ya. Works been tough, the kids are certainly sick of it, and schools been (however school has been going - likely his daughter is going through the same). Thankfully though we can still come here though, right? Yeah, it's nice that the league/rink was able to keep this going. I know Jade really enjoys being able to play and we certainly love being able to watch. Hey listen, Jack, on that subject, the parents got together and asked me to talk to you. There are several people that get uncomfortable when you put the mask under your chin. (*At this point, let him respond but remember to keep your cool or you'll blow it*). Yeah, I understand your position on it. Everyone has a different point of view. But here's the thing Jack, each parent wants to come here and enjoy watching their kid. That's why we're all here, right? You love coming here and watching Kate. When you put that mask under your chin, which is against what has been asked, it causes the other parents not to enjoy their time watching their kid. And yeah, I get it that some people are absolutely ruined mentally by this thing (meaning COVID), I do. In reality though, we are all doing our best to manage with it and that means different things to different people. One of the things we are asking is that you wear the mask properly so that it doesn't add to the mental anguish/frustration. This is supposed to be a place where we come for some relief and some good times. When you don't wear your mask properly, you are taking that away from some of the other parents, which is why I've been asked to talk to you. We're not mad, we still like you, we still want you and Kate to come here obviously, but we would like for you to wear the mask properly. It may or may not help with the actual virus exposure, I don't know, it may or may not. But what it does help with is calming and providing comfort to the other parents that come to watch their kids.

*Here is where you can go a step further - what type of mask does he wear? If all you see are those garbage second rate china "surgical masks", then you may opt to purchase him a better one. Hell, at Coscto, you can get a 4 pack of nice ones for like $10. You can get the balaclavas to do the trick cheap as well. "ramble ramble ramble not MY job to buy the asshole masks!" Yup, totally right, but if he sees that you've gone out of your way to get him one, that elicits a subconscious response in him that you care. Whether that manifests into shame, anger, or thankfulness is up for debate - keep in mind, your approach and tone will heavily weight into this. If you are that hard up for cash, let me know, and I'll buy and send you one myself.*

"Here Jack, we thought this mask/balaclava/etc, would work a little better or be more comfortable. We got it because we want you to be able to come and enjoy watching Jade and help other parents feel more comfortable too. The rink manager was suggesting that they may no longer allow Jade to come if it continues. And the other parents don't want that."

In this conversation, you approached it from a non-threatening manner. You didn't start on the offense and put him on the defense to start. That ruins any and all ability to influence change. Instead, you talked to him like a decent person, let him explain his position, and most importantly, you didn't rage against his opinions (like so many people do). Each time he directs it towards reinforcing his behavior, acknowledge and accept and then redirect towards the reasons I mentioned above. And you've kept your cool because you understand that tone and manner is paramount. When you use those points, it's not an "us vs you and you better conform to us or else" but rather a "Hey, we're all in this together and we want you here". The "us vs you and 'you're selfish' and 'blah blah blah science!'" and all that...toxic. To both causes.

I think Jiggy remembers what I do for a living. For the rest of you, this is what I do for a living. 2 BSs, 2 MSs, a bunch of letters after the name, and over 8 months of helping 50+ companies with tens of thousands of employees navigate this stuff. Here's a couple of tidbits I can share with you: 1. Remember, 99.9% of people don't know what the f*** they are talking about so be careful with how confident you are in berating others for having different opinions. The person who knows how to put on a bandaid thinks he's smart until he talks to an EMT. The EMT thinks he's smart until he talks to a paramedic. The paramedic thinks he's smart until he talks to the doctor. 2. Every person is struggling. Some more than others. Deciding good vs bad using your viewpoint as the standard puts you in the bad category more often than not. 3. Sometimes defiant behavior is a defense mechanism in which the person is exerting control over something they can actually control...while living in a world full of things they can't. He may not be a "selfish, science-denying asshole"...he may just be scared. Have empathy and compassion for people. We all come from different places. What's "easy" to you may not be "easy" to the next person. Smoking to me is easy not to do especially with all the evidence out there and yet...people smoke. Making "good decisions" seems relatively easy to me...to others, obviously, not so easy. We, as a society, are filled with different perspectives and viewpoints. 4. It's not that hard to be a good guy. Help others. Especially now.

I came this forum to get advice on sticks...that's where I will return to.

Hey Seal...

Ya I decided agt talking to him that day because I was raging and knew I would say something that would make the situation worse.

We had the team manager handle it... it seemed to work, but the guy pouted. Then the next game he was back to wearing the mask under his chin.

That put me in a bad spot because I knew I could get him banned, but suspect he would pull his daughter out of the association.

She (and my daughter) are why I kept my cool, and also tried to find a way to solve this issue without a ban.

He had his mask up the other day, so maybe the team manager warned him again.

The coach’s wife is a nurse and wrote a blistering post on FB about Covidiots today.. then this dad made a counter post about his liberties and freedoms, etc etc.

Suffice it so say, the coach and this dad have aired out some anger at ea other on FB since the pandemic started.

So while I’m hopeful this dad will keep wearing his mask, I suspect I’ll have to talk with the owner or his son at some point about the situation.

Then just deal with my guilt by knowing I’m trying to keep others safe when the virus is raging in our area.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Is this guy still not wearing a mask, and attending the rink? Thought by now he’d be dropping his daughter off, and picking her up after.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Hey Seal...

Ya I decided agt talking to him that day because I was raging and knew I would say something that would make the situation worse.

We had the team manager handle it... it seemed to work, but the guy pouted. Then the next game he was back to wearing the mask under his chin.

That put me in a bad spot because I knew I could get him banned, but suspect he would pull his daughter out of the association.

She (and my daughter) are why I kept my cool, and also tried to find a way to solve this issue without a ban.

The coach’s wife is a nurse and wrote a blistering post on FB about Covidiots today.. then this dad made a counter post about his liberties and freedoms, etc etc.

So while I’m hopeful he will keep wearing his mask, I suspect I’ll have to talk with the owner or his son at some point.

Then just deal with my guilt by knowing I’m trying to keep others safe when the virus is raging in our area.
The idiot parent believing wearing a mask is infringing upon his person freedoms is a moron. Does he speed his puck-up through school zones? Does he shoot his gun at trees in the park? He’s clearly just a selfish goof, who could care less about the safety of others. God, wear the mask for his daughter’s sake, so she can play and not be worrying about him acting the fool.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Is this guy still not wearing a mask, and attending the rink? Thought by now he’d be dropping his daughter off, and picking her up after.

He did when the team manager asked him... but went to his corner and pouted.

The next game he was back to being the great chin man.

Then last practice he wore it properly.

So I guess I’ll see next practice if he’s smartened up, but based on his rant on FB today, that’s very likely a fools hope.

Reactions: Luckylarry

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Hey Seal...

Suffice it so say, the coach and this dad have aired out some anger at ea other on FB since the pandemic started.

So while I’m hopeful this dad will keep wearing his mask, I suspect I’ll have to talk with the owner or his son at some point about the situation.

These attitudes (and reactions) don't help. Both the nurse wife and the dad should be told to STFU. Both behaviors strengthen the resolve of the other. Dumbest people I've met during this pandemic have been nurses. They don't have magic immunity from stupidity and are often the ones to get themselves in a pickle with arrogance. Raging against people with different opinions doesn't help when your goal is to influence change in behavior.

Glad to hear you seem to be keeping your cool.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
These attitudes (and reactions) don't help. Both the nurse wife and the dad should be told to STFU. Both behaviors strengthen the resolve of the other. Dumbest people I've met during this pandemic have been nurses. They don't have magic immunity from stupidity and are often the ones to get themselves in a pickle with arrogance. Raging against people with different opinions doesn't help when your goal is to influence change in behavior.

I don’t do FB... my wife told me what happened, so I didn’t have a chance to respond to either post.

However, I’m not really going to tell people how they should feel and push my own feelings via social media about masks.

I’m obviously pro mask wearing and think people who aren’t wearing them are being selfish, but ya, I know 99% of them are entrenched in their beliefs.

So that was a big part of my reasoning not to talk to this dad myself.

All that said... People do need to follow rules though. It doesn’t matter what your opinion is, if a business has a rule, it needs to be followed.

The rink owner has now put up a huge sign outside that threatens anyone not wearing a mask.

It basically says you will be removed if you refuse to wear a mask.

So this dad best understand his “liberties and freedom” ends the moment he walks through that owner’s doors.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

This isn't a simple matter of "opinion". It's not like if you like Pepsi instead of Coke you should be shouted down. Or told to STFU for liking one and not the other. You managed to identify the wrong group as the dumbest people in this, in general. People who refuse to wear masks in these situations... and those who claim it's just a matter of opinion... ARE the dumbest ones. The best way to get them to change their behavior is to start enforcing rules, mandates, and laws. Hit them in their pocketbook with heavy fines. Kick them out of places like this rink. We don't have time to gently give them the education they missed out on over however many decades of their lives to date. We need compliance, period.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
He did when the team manager asked him... but went to his corner and pouted.

The next game he was back to being the great chin man.

Then last practice he wore it properly.

So I guess I’ll see next practice if he’s smartened up, but based on his rant on FB today, that’s very likely a fools hope.

Leave a nasty note on his windshield. Watch to see his reaction, incognito of course.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Leave a nasty note on his windshield. Watch to see his reaction, incognito of course.
And be sure to include this at the end of your note: "BTW, I let the air out of one of your tires, too." Then you'll have some fun watching him stomp all the way around the car. :naughty:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don’t do FB... my wife told me what happened, so I didn’t have a chance to respond to either post.

However, I’m not really going to tell people how they should feel and push my own feelings via social media about masks.

I’m obviously pro mask wearing and think people who aren’t wearing them are being selfish, but ya, I know 99% of them are entrenched in their beliefs.

So that was a big part of my reasoning not to talk to this dad myself.

All that said... People do need to follow rules though. It doesn’t matter what your opinion is, if a business has a rule, it needs to be followed.

The rink owner has now put up a huge sign outside that threatens anyone not wearing a mask.

It basically says you will be removed if you refuse to wear a mask.

So this dad best understand his “liberties and freedom” ends the moment he walks through that owner’s doors.
Any update on the “Maskchinian”?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Any update on the “Maskchinian”?

He hasn’t been around since before Thanksgiving (US).

The owner though just released a memo that only one parent is allowed at games-practices now.

He’s also posted massive signs with basic threats that you will be removed from the building without a mask.

We heard from the team manager the rink we have to travel to this weekend, they are a bunch of anti-maskers and no one wears masks there.

So, can’t win I guess.

No clue how they can get away with that since it’s a state law to wear masks not only indoors, but outdoors now as well.

Pretty much dreading Sat and may just leave if the team manager is right.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
As I keep seeing the thread title "Parent refusing to wear ma...", there's an irony that Bernie Parent is the second longest-tenured goaltender who never went barefaced in the NHL. Parent debuted in November 1965 with a mask and wore one his entire career.

(Bob Champoux is actually the longest-tenured, debuting in the 1964 Stanley Cup playoffs before popping up almost a decade later with the Seals.)

No idea what you'll do with this information, but it's somewhat ironic that this thread is about Parent refusing to wear mask.

Carry on.

The_Windsor_Star_Fri__Dec_17__1965_.jpg

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
As I keep seeing the thread title "Parent refusing to wear ma...", there's an irony that Bernie Parent is the second longest-tenured goaltender who never went barefaced in the NHL. Parent debuted in November 1965 with a mask and wore one his entire career.

(Bob Champoux is actually the longest-tenured, debuting in the 1964 Stanley Cup playoffs before popping up almost a decade later with the Seals.)

No idea what you'll do with this information, but it's somewhat ironic that this thread is about Parent refusing to wear mask.

Carry on.

View attachment 377795

I guess you mean after masks started
Cause no one wore them before.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I'm not sure what you mean, but my statement is correct as stated - Champoux and Parent are the longest tenured NHL goaltenders who never went barefaced in a game.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I'm not sure what you mean, but my statement is correct as stated - Champoux and Parent are the longest tenured NHL goaltenders who never went barefaced in a game.

What about Marty Brodeur then, the criteria is not well laid out I guess.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
What about Marty Brodeur then, the criteria is not well laid out I guess.

Bernie Parent started his NHL career well before Martin Brodeur.

Let me state it differently - among goaltenders who played in the NHL, no one started their career before Bernie Parent (other than Champoux) and played their entire career with a mask.

I feel like we've derailed this topic long enough.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad