OT: Parabola Memorial B.C. Lions Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Disappointing comments from GM Ed Hervey about departing coach Devon Claybrooks....said basically that the coach was 'too soft' on the players and "they took advantage of him". So who hired the guy in the first place? And what does it say about the character of the players that he recruited as GM, "that they took advantage of a genial coach"?

I get the fact that the GM's job after such a dismal season is to come up with excuses and vow changes. But if the Lions are making real change, they need to think seriously about the executive booth.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
https://www.tsn.ca/bc-lions-expected-to-name-rick-campbell-head-coach-1.1406838

No idea what to think about this, team was racked by injuries last year but made some very poor adjustments. Guess we get to wait and see

I'm very excited about this hiring. Campbell is a proven winner, with his two dismal seasons coming in an expansion year, and this past year where that Ottawa team was gutted. No one was having success with that Ottawa team. Those two seasons aside, Campbell got his team to the Grey Cup in 3 of the other 4 seasons, winning it once.

I would have also been happy with Paul LaPolice, but there's no word on if he's even interested in coming here. Rick Campbell is a very good coach, and the rumours are that Jason Maas will join him as the new offensive coordinator which is another huge upgrade to our team.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I also have no issues with the Campbell hire. He's a legitimate CFL Head coach who knows what it takes. The rumors about Maas being courted by Reilly to potentially come onboard as OC is also intriguing. The Lions could end up having quite the coaching staff. One thing is for sure in that there will be a different atmosphere and aura surrounding the team next season for sure.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
I also have no issues with the Campbell hire. He's a legitimate CFL Head coach who knows what it takes. The rumors about Maas being courted by Reilly to potentially come onboard as OC is also intriguing. The Lions could end up having quite the coaching staff. One thing is for sure in that there will be a different atmosphere and aura surrounding the team next season for sure.

There NEEDS to be a different atmosphere. You can't just come out of the gate, unproven, and act like you have all the swagger in the world.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
What time? Assuming no T.V. ?
This was Eddy's final post before he passed away a little more than two months later at age 48. I guess it's fitting that he made it in Parabola's memorial thread.

Eddy, you and your puns always made me laugh and I never saw you say a bad thing about anyone. You were always happy and you made me happy to be around you.

Rest in peace Eddy.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
News about the B.C. Lions has basically sunk like a rock in a pond. Are the front office types even being paid right now? And if they are, I can't imagine it's much more than a percentage of their salary. I feel certain that salary considerations and the uncertainty around the future of the league, probably weighed on Hervey's decision.

And the Lions president also admitted that there are no plans to replace Hervey for the time being. So what happens in terms of scouting, the draft and player recruitment?

Even if the CFL gets going in June of 2021 it'll have been off the field for more than a year and a half.....makes you wonder about players, contracts and everything else.

The CFL has survived financial crisis in the past....but you wonder if this time, it's just too much.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The TSN article indicates that coach Campbell and the Lions' director of Football Ops will work with the rest of the front office staff to form some sort of GM by committee for the time being. Not that any of it matters at the moment since there's no football until next summer and the roster is already more or less set for now.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Gonna bump this thread as to not further derail the sports media thread with CFL talk.

Go Lions!!
What platform would be best for Lion’s games in hopes younger people would tune in? Clearly radio isn’t working. And 1040 is dead now anyway, so there is no radio for the Lions.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
What platform would be best for Lion’s games in hopes younger people would tune in? Clearly radio isn’t working. And 1040 is dead now anyway, so there is no radio for the Lions.
I mean TV obviusly. That's already happrning. Radio is necessary for the same reason Canucks on the radio is necessary.

I don't know if a new "platform" is the way the CFL is gonna reach younger demos. Unless YouTube or twitch gets the rights to stream games live or something.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I mean TV obviusly. That's already happrning. Radio is necessary for the same reason Canucks on the radio is necessary.

I don't know if a new "platform" is the way the CFL is gonna reach younger demos. Unless YouTube or twitch gets the rights to stream games live or something.
TV ratings for the CFL are pretty good I think. It’s getting butts back into the seats that’s really needed. Maybe cheaper tickets or something like that might get younger families out?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
TV ratings for the CFL are pretty good I think. It’s getting butts back into the seats that’s really needed. Maybe cheaper tickets or something like that might get younger families out?

Brook Ward tweeted today that CKNW might be interested in picking up the broadcasting rights.

I agree with you Larry. The key to getting more butts in seats is definitely ticket pricing. During their 2005-2012 run ticket prices were very affordable, but they got greedy and kept raising them every year until eventually those 30k crowds dropped to under 20k. The team's performance had a lot to do with it too of course, but the ticket prices didn't help.

I'm on the fence on the team this year. I was super excited about the makeup of our D-line last year and it's a shame we never got to see what they could do. Losing Micah Johnson and Ryan Brown is going to hurt though. It sounds like the plan is to go with 2 rookies in the interior which I'm very iffy about. Ryan Rigmaiden returned to the front office though and he's done a great job of recruiting in the past so there's some hope. Our secondary looks good, and I'm very intrigued by going with 2 Canadians at linebacker. They're linked to Cam Judge too depending on if he gets an NFL look or not.

On offence I'm very excited about Shaq Cooper. He looked very good in Edmonton when Gable got hurt and he could be a very dangerous weapon out of the backfield. We have a lot of talent and Ryker Matthews should help solidify our offensive line and protect Reilly. The major improvement we need is our offensive schemes and play calling, and reuniting Reilly with Jordan Macsymic should help.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC

Aside from TV, YouTube and Twitch would be two platforms I really hope the CFL looks into if they want to attract younger fans.

Brook Ward tweeted today that CKNW might be interested in picking up the broadcasting rights.

I agree with you Larry. The key to getting more butts in seats is definitely ticket pricing. During their 2005-2012 run ticket prices were very affordable, but they got greedy and kept raising them every year until eventually those 30k crowds dropped to under 20k. The team's performance had a lot to do with it too of course, but the ticket prices didn't help.

Ticket pricing could definitely be reeled in, or at least offer some incentives with the current pricing. However, i don't think ticket pricing the main culprit here (although there are so many that one's #1 issue may not someone else's) but I feel this franchise has been detached from the Lower Mainland since Bobby Ackles passed away. His legacy got us through till about 2013 I'd say, and then the wheels started falling off. Large part of that has to do with an owner who, despite his best intentions, did not have a pulse on the local scene, and from what I've seen over the last 5-6 years, neither has ANYONE who's been hired to work in the front office.

When new (hopefully local) ownership finally arrives, first thing they need to do is relieve Rick LeLacheur and George Chayka of their duties. Yes, I realize Chayka has been around for decades and worked under Ackles, but it's also been under his watch that the Lions are they are in this market. The new owners need to think big, and I'd love to see them try to lure people over from the Canucks to be the new President and VP of Business operations.

With the right people in place, I don't see why this team can't have a fan base on par with the likes of Ottawa or Winnipeg, and get us back to filling the lower bowl on most nights. Despite all of us also being NFL fans.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
TBH this may be the only way the CFL survives. It has been a boutique league for so many years and has great history and nostalgia. But in today's world of all access entertainment they need to be superior at marketing. It's a great product. The talent is fantastic. They just need to be able to show North America that it's worth the time investment in the face of a thousand other distractions.
The Rock may be just the ticket to achieve this.

Reactions: m9

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
So whats up with the CFL? I heard they partnered with the XFL or something. Does that mean some of the rules changed if so? Cause i hope not.

3rd Sedin

Dec 15, 2010
Vancouver
Found out I was moving to Regina in March 2020 for my girlfriend’s work. While Saskatchewan may not jump out as an exciting place to live I was so pumped to be in a CFL crazy market… then Covid hit. Fast forward to now and the Lions open up the season at Mosaic! Can’t wait to be there August 6 and embrace the hate from the Pilsner swigging, melon wearing locals :thumbu:

Reactions: NomadicCanadian
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->