OT: Parabola Memorial B.C. Lions Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Missed most of the game, but season finale clashed with the Canucks on TV. And by the look of the stands, most people stayed home in front of the tele as well. Miserable CFL season finally, mercifully over.

The TSN Radio guys, who's job it is to make a purse out of a sow's ear, were pumping the tires on Brandon Bridge a reclaimed Canadian QB...but the guy throws the football like somebody heaving a shot-put. I imagine the search for a true backup QB will continue well into the off-season.

It's now over to owner David Braley, to either sell out or clean house.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I can, it was Jennings' 2nd season as the starter, coming off of a very good first season.

Not for me. I wasn't as hyped that year as I was this year. I had high expectations heading into this season. More than I have in recent memory. I certainly wasn't expecting such a disaster of a season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I can, it was Jennings' 2nd season as the starter, coming off of a very good first season.
Agreed, Jennings was a huge letdown in his second season, but you can't really compare any of Wally Buono's teams with with the $^%# show we witnessed this season.

I actually felt a twinge of sympathy for vets like Burnham, White and Reilly who battled to the bitter end, despite the dismal supporting cast around them.

But repairing the on-field product is one thing.....Lions have lost the marketplace....that recovery will take a lot more time.

Reactions: MikeK

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
But repairing the on-field product is one thing.....Lions have lost the marketplace....that recovery will take a lot more time.

Agreed. It all starts with ownership. That issue has to get resolved. We need an owner who wants to be an owner and has long term goals. Until that situation is resolved nothing positive will happen in the community.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Ownership seemingly not fully committed to the team and the market for the last decade or so has definitely hurt them.

Spur1

Sep 12, 2019
Ownership seemingly not fully committed to the team and the market for the last decade or so has definitely hurt them.
I agree. I think the only reason Braley hasn’t sold the team is that he is intentionally keeping the team worse than the team he really cheers for, the Ti-cats.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I agree. I think the only reason Braley hasn’t sold the team is that he is intentionally keeping the team worse than the team he really cheers for, the Ti-cats.
I highly doubt it, since all it is doing is hurting his sell price.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
According to TSN, Cody Fajardo and Vernon Adams have 'arrived' as legitimate 'stars' to the CFL. What do they both have in common? It was Wally Buono and the B.C. Lions who scouted and signed them, and brought them to the CFL in the first place.

Now sure how Wally did it--uncovering QB's....but nobody in the history of the CFL was better at it.

Reactions: MikeK

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth

This is nonsense. If it wasn't for Brailey we may not even have a league. He stepped up and bailed multiple teams out of financial troubles that could have folded them. He is one of the biggest CFL fans there has ever been. Does he have a favorite team? Maybe. But to say he is intentionally keeping a team bad so others can flourish is just wrong.

Reactions: Hit the post

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Hoping for Rick Campbell to be honest. Though I have a feeling he probably has his eyes on Edmonton's job with the assumption that Jason Maas is fired (there's no way he can survive this year if they are bounced easily on Sunday which I expect will happen).

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Hoping for Rick Campbell to be honest. Though I have a feeling he probably has his eyes on Edmonton's job with the assumption that Jason Maas is fired (there's no way he can survive this year if they are bounced easily on Sunday which I expect will happen).

Makes sense... and given the way Harvey eluded to teams still in the playoffs and possible candidates I suspect Mass may be the guy he has in mind.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'm somehow both surprised and not by this news. On the one hand, the issue seemed to go beyond simply coaching problems for the team. On the other hand, with the abject failure of this season there needed to be some kind of significant change to signal that management isn't sitting on their hands after what went down. And "fair" or not, changing the coach is one of the most visible, high-ceiling, high-floor type moves that a GM can make without falling on the sword himself. And it's not like Claybrooks did anything that will make people go "he didn't deserve that, he was a victim of everything around him" because it certainly never appeared that they were failing in spite of him. Just that they also weren't failing entirely because of him.

Makes sense... and given the way Harvey eluded to teams still in the playoffs and possible candidates I suspect Mass may be the guy he has in mind.

Maas seems like a decent bet given they would have a history together in Edmonton.

Reactions: lindgren and MikeK

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Maas seems like a decent bet given they would have a history together in Edmonton.

Yep. I'm sure Reilly's vote won't hurt either so if he and Maas had a good working relationship I would be willing to bet that's exactly who they are gunning for. Familiarity always feels safe.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Yep. I'm sure Reilly's vote won't hurt either so if he and Maas had a good working relationship I would be willing to bet that's exactly who they are gunning for. Familiarity always feels safe.

Yeah, I totally didn't think of that. That makes it make even more sense.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Even though they were very similar in records I still think WPG knocking off CGY was an pretty good upset. I wasn't expecting that at all. Especially doing it in CGY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->