OT: Parabola Memorial B.C. Lions Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Fun game to be at last night!

Empty stadium but I thought the people that were there actually created one of the better atmospheres of the season.

Reilly looked a lot more comfortable after having both an early lead and extra time in the pocket for the majority of the game.

Sad to see how far Jennings has fallen as a QB.

Would be really nice to see BC build on this. They don’t need to scorch the earth but if they could win three or four more games to end the season it’ll help build something for nest season.

You're not kidding, Surely that had to be the smallest crowd in B.C. Lion history. Looked to me to be no more than 12,000-13,000 in the stands. Figured a win over Ottawa and former Lions QB Jennings was a virtual guarantee. Can't lose 'em all at home.

Reactions: 3rd Sedin

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Lions have found the only team in the CFL worse than they are....back to back blowouts of the RedBlacks....truly an awful football team. Looks like Reilly will play ever down of every game this season. Zero snaps for the backup.

Lions better pray Reilly stays healthy next season because there's nobody backing him up with an ounce of CFL experience.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Amazing. BC does all they can to hand the game away (Duron Carter, you stupid *******...) but in the end Khari Jones does us a solid and faceplants his own team. GJ, guys.

This is such a lost season.
The craziest thing is that it will be October before the season is officially done. Amazingly if we win out and Edmonton loses out, we will have the cross over. Yippee.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The craziest thing is that it will be October before the season is officially done. Amazingly if we win out and Edmonton loses out, we will have the cross over. Yippee.
That's the CFL for you.....you can basically suck all summer but go on a roll in September-October and challenge for a playoff spot.

But you have to put the last three wins in perspective--beating a truly awful Ottawa team twice and edging an under-manned Montreal team playing their backup QB. Not a chance they'd win that game with Vernon Adams at QB for the Als. And even at that at, it took a bonehead decision by the Al's in the last minute to eke out a two-point win.

Big story of the game was the crowd. Was anybody even in the stadium watching this game? Yikes!

Reactions: lindgren

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
That's the CFL for you.....you can basically suck all summer but go on a roll in September-October and challenge for a playoff spot.

But you have to put the last three wins in perspective--beating a truly awful Ottawa team twice and edging an under-manned Montreal team playing their backup QB. Not a chance they'd win that game with Vernon Adams at QB for the Als. And even at that at, it took a bonehead decision by the Al's in the last minute to eke out a two-point win.

Big story of the game was the crowd. Was anybody even in the stadium watching this game? Yikes!
Maybe my sarcasm didn't come through very well, but I am well aware of how little should be taken from these last few wins.

Reactions: MikeK

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
So nobody tuned in for the complete destruction of Toronto last week? Too bad. That was obviously the high point of the season. Reilly just broke his left wrist. Was only a matter of time with the O Line's total inability to protect him came back to haunt them.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
So nobody tuned in for the complete destruction of Toronto last week? Too bad. That was obviously the high point of the season. Reilly just broke his left wrist. Was only a matter of time with the O Line's total inability to protect him came back to haunt them.

Yep. If there was any doubt before it's all but over now.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Turn out the lights, the party's over. Reilly is done for the season anyway. But what gets me is that this could just as easily happened in the third game of the season as in the 16th....and the Lions have gotten zero reps for their backup QB. What happens if Reilly goes down early next season? Are they going to write off another year as well with an inexperienced backup?

I guess the depth chart QB's will at least get some game action as the Leos play out the string. Then the housecleaning needs to begin.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Turn out the lights, the party's over. Reilly is done for the season anyway. But what gets me is that this could just as easily happened in the third game of the season as in the 16th....and the Lions have gotten zero reps for their backup QB. What happens if Reilly goes down early next season? Are they going to write off another year as well with an inexperienced backup?

I guess the depth chart QB's will at least get some game action as the Leos play out the string. Then the housecleaning needs to begin.
The fundamental problem isn't not having a quality backup QB ready to go. The problem is being unable to protect the QB. That's the fatal failure that's stalked the Lions since 2011.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Tonight was the first time I actually remembered to watch most of a game, but of course it was a dud with awful backup QBs struggling to not be awful.

That said, I saw the Sportscentre highlights that showed all the players wearing masks during the pre-game and now I need to know which Lion is the anime weeb wearing the Bleach mask :laugh:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The market is almost completely apathetic; the team is for sale (we think); QB's are going down like flies; and the guy they're using as the backup QB is unlikely to even earn a contract for next season. Now that's the ultimate definition of 'playing out a string'.

But I suppose when you hit rock bottom--there's nowhere to go up, as long as you stop digging a hole.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
The market is almost completely apathetic; the team is for sale (we think); QB's are going down like flies; and the guy they're using as the backup QB is unlikely to even earn a contract for next season. Now that's the ultimate definition of 'playing out a string'.

But I suppose when you hit rock bottom--there's nowhere to go up, as long as you stop digging a hole.
What do you think it'll take to revive the CFL in BC? I haven't lived in BC for 6 years, but have been back periodically. I feel like a lot of the problem is marketing, but perhaps it runs deeper? Demographics? The young people are tuning into NFL instead?

I always thought it was odd how so many people prefer the NFL in BC. I think the CFL is the superior product due to game style and so many close games, but to each their own.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I'm sorry but if you forget something is on, you're not a fan. Simple as that. And I honestly don't think you could ever claim to be a fan considering CFL football is always on Friday and Saturdays, with the odd Sunday game, and pre-Labour day Thursday nights. But for some reason there's a problem in Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal where people just don't bother supporting football. We're a fickle city on top of that. Bandwagon city if you will.

Anyway, was at the game tonight. Embarrassed by how many Rider fans there were vs. Lions fans vs. empty seats. Didn't expect much out of the team though. Big changes certainly are needed, starting with the owner. On the field we need major upgrades to our D-line, O-line, and as much of a fan I am of Duron Carter's we definitely need an upgrade there. Also at RB...White has done well running the ball but he's awful at picking up blocks and that has led to some sacks.

Reactions: lindgren and clunk

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I'm sorry but if you forget something is on, you're not a fan. Simple as that. And I honestly don't think you could ever claim to be a fan considering CFL football is always on Friday and Saturdays, with the odd Sunday game, and pre-Labour day Thursday nights. But for some reason there's a problem in Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal where people just don't bother supporting football. We're a fickle city on top of that. Bandwagon city if you will.

Anyway, was at the game tonight. Embarrassed by how many Rider fans there were vs. Lions fans vs. empty seats. Didn't expect much out of the team though. Big changes certainly are needed, starting with the owner. On the field we need major upgrades to our D-line, O-line, and as much of a fan I am of Duron Carter's we definitely need an upgrade there. Also at RB...White has done well running the ball but he's awful at picking up blocks and that has led to some sacks.
Honestly, I wish I was in BC right now. I'd have attended every game I could. I love the atmosphere at Lions games, but it's been so long since I've attended. Still watch as many as I can despite the time zones here.

It really is a shame how many people just don't care anymore. It used to be a lot better.

Though, I do think the team could be marketed a lot better. The Whitecaps suffer the same problem. Both terrible marketing departments imo that don't give you a lot of faith that either organisation wants to improve, even if they do.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Honestly, I wish I was in BC right now. I'd have attended every game I could. I love the atmosphere at Lions games, but it's been so long since I've attended. Still watch as many as I can despite the time zones here.

It really is a shame how many people just don't care anymore. It used to be a lot better.

Though, I do think the team could be marketed a lot better. The Whitecaps suffer the same problem. Both terrible marketing departments imo that don't give you a lot of faith that either organisation wants to improve, even if they do.

I can't disagree there. Even how they treat their season ticket holders this year was awful. Typically they'll set up some kind of open practice and a BBQ, and an opportunity to meet the players. Didn't do that this year. Instead we got mailed a coupon for a free slice of pizza.

Reactions: lindgren and clunk

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I can't disagree there. Even how they treat their season ticket holders this year was awful. Typically they'll set up some kind of open practice and a BBQ, and an opportunity to meet the players. Didn't do that this year. Instead we got mailed a coupon for a free slice of pizza.

That is ... impressive.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I'm guessing even the slice of pizza is going to be crappy (ala Pizza Hut/Dominos).:laugh:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
One more game before this awful CFL season mercifully ends. And the dwindling fan-base hoping for an ownership change might be disappointed...David Braley saying that so far, nobody has stepped up with a concrete offer to buy the team.

If I was a betting man, I'd say the current lame-duck ownership could continue for awhile yet. I guess that even with support cratering in the market and an empty stadium, the guys who own and run the franchise don't seem too concerned about it.

So it could be more of the same next season, particularly if their only legitimate QB who'll be pushing 35 next season goes down with an injury early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad