OT: Parabola Memorial B.C. Lions Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Lulay is too old, Jennings hasn't had a good season since 2016, secondary is bad, nobody can play man to man. Elimimian, Willis, Lemon, Herdman, Lokombo are the only defensive players worth keeping around. TJ Lee is garbage. Keep Orange and Rose from the secondary, everybody else can go.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
I was hoping for better things from this team but bottom line is they are just a bad team. Hopefully there are major sweeping changes on both sides of the ball and the sidelines this offseason.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Mike Reilly or bust. Hopefully he enjoyed his earlier time in Vancouver. Go get him!

Bo Levi Mitchell is a free agent too ;) Though I expect he'll get NFL interest or return to Calgary.

I think Lulay and Jennings have played their last downs for the Lions. Ditto with Jeremiah Johnson and Chris Rainey. I wouldn't at all be surprised if Arceneaux isn't back because of his injury, and wouldn't at all be surprised if Jovon Olafioye is cut and replaced with David Knevel.

Jordan Herdman played very well at middle linebacker for us and could be taking Solly's job. Solly makes a lot of money, so if we're looking to shore up our shortcomings elsewhere this could be a spot where you look to save some SMS dollars. I also wouldn't be surprised if they look for someone younger to take over Odell's spot.

I expect this team to be unrecognizable going into camp. Funny thing is, the offensive line might not see too much attention. Figueroa will retain his LT spot. I could see Foucault brought back. Pierson likely in at C over Husband. Steward brought back if his health permits, and Knevel at RT. Godber the key Canadian backup, and another import brought in from camp.

On the defensive line, Coleman and Lewis will anchor the interior, with Canadians Luke and Laurent rotating in as backups. I could see Shawn Lemon brought back, with someone else in for Odell's spot.

Linebackers should be Lokombo-Herdman-Foster. I had no complaints with any of them.

Our secondary...keep Orange and Rose around. Gary Peters wasn't bad either, but I'd definitely be looking to bring in some upgrades.

The receiving group also needs a major upgrade. Burnham's spot should be safe. Posey didn't impress me and clearly isn't someone you can rely on to lead the group. Time to replace Watson. Collins didn't impress me too much. He was okay, but I think we can upgrade there. Shaq Johnson is probably safe by virtue of being Canadian. It's a shame we haven't found any use for Vandervoort. A costly blown 3rd overall pick there.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Somebody pointed out that in Wally's last four playoff appearances they've been outscored something like 177=40. To his credit, Wallly did take some onus for the latest debacle, saying they were outplayed and 'out-coached'. But one common denominator to me is the QB position.

Lulay knows what to do and tries, but this is 2018 not 2011. And Jennings just gets totally overwhelmed by the moment and commits mistake after mistake.

I imagine Hervey will be all in on Mike Reilly. But why not make a splash and try to acquire Johnny Manziel?

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Somebody pointed out that in Wally's last four playoff appearances they've been outscored something like 177=40. To his credit, Wallly did take some onus for the latest debacle, saying they were outplayed and 'out-coached'. But one common denominator to me is the QB position.

Lulay knows what to do and tries, but this is 2018 not 2011. And Jennings just gets totally overwhelmed by the moment and commits mistake after mistake.

I imagine Hervey will be all in on Mike Reilly. But why not make a splash and try to acquire Johnny Manziel?

The only way you bring in Manziel is if Trestman is the HC, and I don't see Trestman coming here.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Because Johnny Manziel sucks

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Jordan Herdman played very well at middle linebacker for us and could be taking Solly's job. Solly makes a lot of money, so if we're looking to shore up our shortcomings elsewhere this could be a spot where you look to save some SMS dollars. I also wouldn't be surprised if they look for someone younger to take over Odell's spot.

I expect this team to be unrecognizable going into camp. Funny thing is, the offensive line might not see too much attention. Figueroa will retain his LT spot. I could see Foucault brought back. Pierson likely in at C over Husband. Steward brought back if his health permits, and Knevel at RT. Godber the key Canadian backup, and another import brought in from camp.

Linebackers should be Lokombo-Herdman-Foster. I had no complaints with any of them.
I don't really know much about CFL cap space to be honest. If we do have to move Elimimian to pick up solid WRs, a RB, and some corners, I would be okay with that. I thought Herdman and Lokombo were really strong this season, could see them anchoring the LB positions for many years like Bighill and Elimimian.

O-line was good this year I thought especially if they stayed healthy they would have been much better.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I don't really know much about CFL cap space to be honest. If we do have to move Elimimian to pick up solid WRs, a RB, and some corners, I would be okay with that. I thought Herdman and Lokombo were really strong this season, could see them anchoring the LB positions for many years like Bighill and Elimimian.

O-line was good this year I thought especially if they stayed healthy they would have been much better.

Yeah, the CFL cap numbers aren't published as openly as NHL cap numbers, but I do know that Solly is the highest paid LB in the league (or second highest, not sure what Singleton is at). By my estimation we could save roughly $100-120k by replacing Solly with Herdman, and that money alone could bring in a very good free agent defensive back (or at least a large chunk of what one would cost).

Lulay and Jennings salary combined will likely go to Mike Reilly. We'll also save a lot by replacing Olafioye with David Knevel as well. Arceneaux was also a high paid receiver who, as I mentioned before I don't expect will be back (or if he is it'll be on a bonus laden contract with low base salary for 2019) so there will be money to play with.

A couple more things to consider: the CBA is up so there's likely to be a new cap number for next season. No idea what that will look like. Also, the CFL is implementing a cap on coaching salaries and positions so that's a new wrinkle for Hervey to deal with.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Has Reilly peaked though? I would like to see him come here and Lulay signed as a back up, as he was for Jennings.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
How long have the Lions been on the selling block? Years it seems to me. Every year we hear that David Braley, who might have health issues, is looking for local buyers. And every year the team enters the Bermuda Triangle of flagging interest in the stands and an absentee owner who doesn't live Vancouver and never will.

So Ed Hervey can play musical chairs with the playing personnel and make sweeping changes...but without change at the top it likely won't matter.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Ha ha, I have been asking that for years! I had a high school football coach who did the same thing, as if it gave him some authenticity as a football expert.
Yeah, you know, it's interesting the way this has kind of crept into the Canadian football culture. If you watch old Grey Cup videos on youtube you'll notice the CFL football broadcasters all spoke with Canadian accents in Canadian dialect and mostly absent any American jargon. The word route was pronounced in the Canadian way, for example, unlike on today's broadcasts. And Canadian football was a much bigger deal back then than it is now.

Hard to believe we have come from there, to here today, with guys from North Vancouver saying I flat out tell you what in a southern drawl in what is living memory for some of us here.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Not too different in soccer, er football when the teams in the MLS take the pitch (what used to be called the field). Of course every soccer panel and colour man on the broadcast must have a British accent to sound authentic. I guess it happens in all walks of life (Madonna's British accent, Hilary Clinton's southern drawl when campaigning in Georgia).

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Not too different in soccer, er football when the teams in the MLS take the pitch (what used to be called the field). Of course every soccer panel and colour man on the broadcast must have a British accent to sound authentic. I guess it happens in all walks of life (Madonna's British accent, Hilary Clinton's southern drawl when campaigning in Georgia).
Yeah, some of the soccer guys even spend some time over in Old Blighty and then they're a lost cause accent wise. It's become ingrained in them.

Funny you should mention US politics, there was a documentary on George W Bush a few years ago that featured some rare footage of an early failed bid for US congress by W with a very young GWB campaigning door to door in Texas with an effete upper crust New England blue blood accent. Of course it failed badly for him. Hence the transformation into W the plain talkin' Texan.

And of course the rest (regrettably) is history.

Reactions: cabinessence

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Happy Grey Cup Sunday!
*crickets chirping*

TightAdmiredAplomadofalcon-small.gif

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
https://www.tsn.ca/qb-tracker-reilly-set-to-be-biggest-prize-in-off-season-1.1246100

Article on the crazy QB situation around the CFL. If we get Reilly I'm actually going to buy tickets to the season opener. The Lions need to spark some interest badly and this would at least get that ball rolling.

I don't expect the Lions to sign Riley once Braley finds out how much he'll cost.

But if they do, I'll he intrigued to go to the opener as well. Haven't gone to one since 2012 when Geroy broke the all time yards record. If they can get some excitement going, maybe they'll get the crowd above 18,000!

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I think the Lions have a very good chance at signing Reilly. He lives in Seattle. His family lives down there during the season most of the time. It would be a lot easier for him to commute from Seattle to Vancouver than to Edmonton or Regina. Either way though he's going to get paid. I'm thinking $500-700k. We have been spoiled by having cost effective QB's for years now, but Reilly is the best QB in the league and he's going to be paid like it. It means we won't have enough money for an experienced backup (like we're used to) but that's fine. Reilly and Rickey Lloyd will be better than Lulay and Jennings.

The other report I heard is that Hervey is looking to continue beefing up our offensive line. I wouldn't be surprised if Sukh Chungh is a target. He's played with Winnipeg for a few years. Matthias Goosen was also a candidate, though he retired today.

Reactions: lindgren

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Some news today: the reason the Lions haven't re-signed any of their big ticket free agents is because they're waiting to see what their cap situation will look like after the Reilly contract. It's also entirely possible they trade for Reilly before the free agent deadline and re-sign him early without having to worry about a bidding war. He's likely to be in the $600-700k per year range (and the number I think was being thrown out there for BLM yesterday was $700k.

Situation with Manny is iffy, Hervey may look to make an upgrade there. Burnham will probably be re-signed after Reilly is sorted out.

Reactions: lindgren
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->