OT: Parabola Memorial B.C. Lions Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
That decision to kick a FG rather than go for the TD there by Maas was fire worthy. Talk about a dumb decision.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
That decision to kick a FG rather than go for the TD there by Maas was fire worthy. Talk about a dumb decision.

No it wasn't. They needed 10 points regardless. Who cares which order it comes in? Rather than use up time on the clock, take the 3 immediately. What was odd was not going for the onside kick. That is questionable, not the FG.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
No it wasn't. They needed 10 points regardless. Who cares which order it comes in? Rather than use up time on the clock, take the 3 immediately. What was odd was not going for the onside kick. That is questionable, not the FG.
You only need to get to like the 45 yard line to get a FG. The Eskimos were at the 33. You go for the touchdown while you have field position on your side. It was a dumb play. You grab a touchdown, all you need is an onside kick recovery or a 2 and out by the Lions, and you have all day to tie the game.

It definitely mattered in this case what order it came in, as you could have took the FG more than 10 yards further the drive afterwards.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I don't get it. They still had downs available so they could still be going for the TD and then the field goal if they get to third down. On the next possession they might stall and be on third down but with the field goal still an option.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You only need to get to like the 45 yard line to get a FG. The Eskimos were at the 33. You go for the touchdown while you have field position on your side. It was a dumb play. You grab a touchdown, all you need is an onside kick recovery or a 2 and out by the Lions, and you have all day to tie the game.

It definitely mattered in this case what order it came in, as you could have took the FG more than 10 yards further the drive afterwards.

I agree you go for it there not just due to field position but also because making it puts BC on the back foot a little. Maybe they get a little nervous and you get the ball back just a little easier. Instead, you get 3 and now you're the one that's anxious wondering if you'll get the ball back in range for a TD.

-----

On another topic, it's yet another season where the playoffs should be 5 teams from the west and only the winner from the East. I get that ownership and attendance are issues out east but you can't have one half of the league with no team worse than 1 game under .500 and the other where the best team is just barely over .500 year after year. I get that east versus west championship are more exciting but the longer the east is a joke the worse the league looks.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC

I still think not going for the onside kick was the dumbest part of it all. I think Maas panicked and was trying to preserve as much clock as possible, thus the FG.

But yeah, at the very least, they should have thrown it to the endzone at least once before kicking.

Either way, glad Maas is coaching Edmonton. Just hope Hervey doesn't hire him to replace Buono.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Good game. Posey had a big one, they seemed to leave him wide open in the second half.

Great game by Sutton on the ground too.

They really ran that zone blitz into the ground and the O-line held their own in the second half giving Lulay time to find Posey down the field. The short passing game wasn't there at all but if you look at those second-half passes almost all of them were aimed deep where the Eskies didn't have coverage.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A nice win by the Lions to earn a playoff spot...and there's still a chance they could host the Western Division semi-final, depending on the results in the last weekend of the schedule. But if they have to go on the road, they're probably not winning. Would almost be better for them to be the crossover team. But over the years their record in the East in November might actually be worse. It's a conundrum to the sure.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
What a game! We're in the playoffs, but now we have a chance to host a playoff game. For that to come to fruition here's what needs to happen:

1) Lions win out AND Calgary beats Winnipeg.
-This would set-up a Lions-Bombers semi-final IF Winnipeg beats Edmonton in their final week. If Winnipeg loses to Edmonton then we would host Saskatchewan, and Edmonton would leapfrog Winnipeg for 4th.

2) The Lions beat Saskatchewan (by 4 or more points), Lose to Calgary, and Winnipeg loses to Calgary and Edmonton.
-This would also set-up a Lions-Riders Western Semi-Final, and Edmonton would get the cross-over.

Technically we could still host if we win out, Winnipeg beats Calgary but loses to Edmonton, but if Winnipeg beats Calgary that eliminates Edmonton so you can ask how motivated would Edmonton be to play that game, while Winnipeg will be looking to win it to host the West semi's.

IF BC and Winnipeg both win out, we finish 3rd and travel to Winnipeg for the West semi's.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
MeekQueasyEuropeanpolecat-size_restricted.gif

Playoffs, here we come!

And great.......-ish game. Clearly room to improve in some areas, but at least some good pieces are there.

Sutton gives the team a genuine first-down rushing option up the gut, and damn I've been missing that. Lulay's still looking a bit fragile...but that's still better than Jennings.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
So what happens with Calgary losing to the Riders @y2kcanucks ?

I was considering this very question earlier today and came to the conclusion that Saskatchewan winning is probably better for the Lions anyway. As long as we beat the Riders by 4 or more points we'll win the season series. They have 11 wins, we currently have 9. Their final game is against us, while we also play Calgary in the final week of the season.

Calgary plays Winnipeg and us. If Saskatchewan beats us, and Calgary loses out, Calgary falls to 2nd. If Calgary beats Winnipeg they clinch first. Losing to Saskatchewan means they'll be playing harder against Winnipeg. All we need is for Calgary to beat Winnipeg, and for the Lions to win out to clinch 2nd.

Now, Calgary has been reeling from all their injuries so going into Winnipeg (after losing 2 straight at home, and looking poor against Montreal prior to that) and winning isn't going to be easy. But they can sense first place slipping away to maybe that will be enough for them to play harder and sneak out with a win. BC/Saskatchewan will be a beauty of a game. That one won't be easy for us, but we are the hottest team in the league right now so I wouldn't rule it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->