OT: Parabola Memorial B.C. Lions Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
That was some time ago now. The problem with those cheap tickets is that, unless you actually prefer or enjoy the stadium atmosphere, you almost always get better viewing watching the game on HDTV. This is just my opinion of course, but to really get good viewing angles at the stadium you have to be in that 30-30 area. Good luck getting 2 of those tickets for less than $150 unless you deal directly through the Lions. Then you still have the gross concession prices and potential travel costs on top of it.

I agree wholeheartedly that the CFL has value. But the sad fact about the general public is that they don't share that same view and it's why we've seen empty stadiums the last 10+ years.

Same can be said about hockey though.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
It's a good start but unless Dad or Mom see's value in sitting at the complete end of the field and watching most of the game on the big screen I don't think it's going to change anything. Not everyone values the stadium atmosphere like myself or others so they probably think watching the game on HDTV is a better way to go.

That is something the league never had to face until TSN took over broadcasting rights. HDTV has become a major reason why most teams are finding it hard to get people in. The cost of good seats and concession loses out to the comforts of home and HDTV almost every time with the general public.

I've said it so many times and for so many years now that I truly believe the league has lost an entire generation of potential fans because they were never taken to games as kids like many of us were. They never had that chance to form a bond with the team and game. Talk to any late 20s and even early 30s about the Lions or the CFL and probably 9/10 of them laugh or honestly couldn't tell much about any of it. Real sad.

That's me though. I have a deep love for the Lions, as do quite a few of my friends. Problem is they are strewn across the country and none live in or around Vancouver. I think it started with my age group were less engrossed in the CFL than my parents generation or the one in between, but it's far worse with the later Millennials and kids growing up now.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
That's me though. I have a deep love for the Lions, as do quite a few of my friends. Problem is they are strewn across the country and none live in or around Vancouver. I think it started with my age group were less engrossed in the CFL than my parents generation or the one in between, but it's far worse with the later Millennials and kids growing up now.

You're just odd though.
(just like me :naughty:)

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
Yet people pay 3 times more for the ****** Canucks home games.

The difference between the CFL and NHL is one is a quasi-amateur league and the other is the pro's. The only players that end up in the CFL are those that are not good enough to make it to the NFL (for the most part). It's a second rate league (so to speak).

Now, I am not arguing that its not entertaining or that you should not watch it. I am just trying to explain why people can't get interested in it.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The difference between the CFL and NHL is one is a quasi-amateur league and the other is the pro's. The only players that end up in the CFL are those that are not good enough to make it to the NFL (for the most part). It's a second rate league (so to speak).

Now, I am not arguing that its not entertaining or that you should not watch it. I am just trying to explain why people can't get interested in it.

And it's this kind of ignorance that the league has to figure out how to change. It's not a second rate league. It's a different league from the NFL that suffers from a lack of funding. There are plenty of NFLers who come up here and flat out stink. They don't make it. It takes a certain skillset to be successful in the CFL, and that's a skillset that the NFL often overlooks. The NFL is full of bigger athletes, while the CFL puts an emphasis on speed and agility.

It's also no surprise to me that the NFL has shifted towards a CFL style in the past decade or so.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
The CFL comparable to the ECHL? That's just crazy. Perfect example of what my argument is all about. That person probably hasn't ever had a chance to take in the CFL because of prices. I guarantee if people were given a chance they would not only be be shocked at how enjoyable the game is, but how competitive it is as well.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The CFL comparable to the ECHL? That's just crazy. Perfect example of what my argument is all about. That person probably hasn't ever had a chance to take in the CFL because of prices. I guarantee if people were given a chance they would not only be be shocked at how enjoyable the game is, but how competitive it is as well.

Oh. I thought he was referring to the Canucks as playing ECHL level hockey. If he really thinks that the CFL is comparable to the ECHL...:laugh:

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Oh. I thought he was referring to the Canucks as playing ECHL level hockey. If he really thinks that the CFL is comparable to the ECHL...:laugh:

I had a 4 day weekend and fully admit to my comprehension skills being almost non-existent at this point but I took that as a shot at the CFL. It was probably a troll post but BS none the less.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
It's a good start but unless Dad or Mom see's value in sitting at the complete end of the field and watching most of the game on the big screen I don't think it's going to change anything. Not everyone values the stadium atmosphere like myself or others so they probably think watching the game on HDTV is a better way to go.

That is something the league never had to face until TSN took over broadcasting rights. HDTV has become a major reason why most teams are finding it hard to get people in. The cost of good seats and concession loses out to the comforts of home and HDTV almost every time with the general public.

I've said it so many times and for so many years now that I truly believe the league has lost an entire generation of potential fans because they were never taken to games as kids like many of us were. They never had that chance to form a bond with the team and game. Talk to any late 20s and even early 30s about the Lions or the CFL and probably 9/10 of them laugh or honestly couldn't tell much about any of it. Real sad.

Growing up in the 90s, the CFL was pretty much dead to people in my circle. Then, I remember Wally Buono came in and eventually, Casey Printers. This was the peak of the Lions popularity as I remember it. 2004-2005ish, I actually went to games whereas I didn't even go to games in the past with free tickets in my hand. Honestly, I had a good time whenever I went, but it also helped that the Lions were getting large crowds. It felt big league.

Now, my interest level is pretty much non-existent as it was back in the 90s. The last game I went to was when BC Place had just re-opened with the new roof. Bottom line, I belong to the generation that didn't give damn, but then did all of a sudden. It just takes a certain recipe that is hard to maintain. In the mid 2000s, the Lions were a massive powerhouse with great personalities. They had an exciting young QB that had people talking, along with another very good QB in Dickenson.

Or... I can just be massively over analyzing, and should credit this golden period to the NHL lockout. Whatever the case, I felt attached to this team during that time period.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Growing up in the 90s, the CFL was pretty much dead to people in my circle. Then, I remember Wally Buono came in and eventually, Casey Printers. This was the peak of the Lions popularity as I remember it. 2004-2005ish, I actually went to games whereas I didn't even go to games in the past with free tickets in my hand. Honestly, I had a good time whenever I went, but it also helped that the Lions were getting large crowds. It felt big league.

Now, my interest level is pretty much non-existent as it was back in the 90s. The last game I went to was when BC Place had just re-opened with the new roof. Bottom line, I belong to the generation that didn't give damn, but then did all of a sudden. It just takes a certain recipe that is hard to maintain. In the mid 2000s, the Lions were a massive powerhouse with great personalities. They had an exciting young QB that had people talking, along with another very good QB in Dickenson.

Or... I can just be massively over analyzing, and should credit this golden period to the NHL lockout. Whatever the case, I felt attached to this team during that time period.

The lockout helped the 2004 team for sure. But the Lions were still getting crowds in the mid 30k range in 2007 and 2008. Even after moving back to BC Place in 2011, crowds from 25-30k was the average. 2015 was when the crowds really dropped off.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
The interview with the new commish did nothing to instill my confidence in him. He seemed to want to talk more about how happy his family is that he got a job rather than what he hopes to do for the CFL.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
The interview with the new commish did nothing to instill my confidence in him. He seemed to want to talk more about how happy his family is that he got a job rather than what he hopes to do for the CFL.

I've always looked at the CFL Commish as more of a poster guy anyway. The league is run by a small number of owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->