Paquette vs. Richard vs. Peca

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Simple question who of those three do you think will end up the best player longterm? All three are well on their way to become pretty good 3rd liner/ energy guys.

Paquette obviously has a head start on the other three and has the most pro build game (hence his rather easy success in the AHL and his fast acclimation to the NHL).

Richard is IMO our most underrated prospect right now and I see pretty decent upside due to his obvious playmaking ability and he is learning to get under the skin of the opponents fast.

Peca is for me the wildcard. At his size he is far away from you prototypical energy guy and I fear that he will end up being Brown 2.0. But as it seems Pecas game is much more complete at the same age. But will his offense translate?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'll say Paquette. No guarantee the others will ever make the NHL - having already made the jump is a huge advantage.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
All three are very different players. Haven't seen much of Peca. Between Richard and Paquette seems Paquette is much closer to his ceiling. Richard has improved so much...like Nesterov. Richard is more skilled but also prone to TOs and giveaways. Still holds on to the puck a bit too much. Paquette makes the smart and safe north south play.

Richard is more skilled but feels like Paquette will be better at his role: fourth line center than Richard as third line Center. Both play LW and C...so maybe take a similar roster spot. Paquette wins in a fight vs Richard for whatever that's worth.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Peca is more skilled than the other two IMO, but Paquette has an obvious advantatge as he has proven he's already a NHL player

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Paquette has the most NHL style of game so it'll be easier for him to stick around the league. Richard disappointed last year but is having a much better season, don't like his goal scoring ability which to me will prevent him from staying in the league long. Peca is hampered by size a bit so he may not get the chances he needs which could lead him to heading overseas or career AHLer.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I think they all hang around as 3rd/4th Liners and AHL callups. The other will replace Brown and Morrow when the time is right.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Obviously Paquette has a huge head start in this poll and could IMO become one of those few players that could have a decent and long career as an energy guy. But at the same time I do think that both Richard and Peca have more upside. question is just, will they reach it?

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I feel Like I am the only person in the world that could see paquette as a decent 2-way 2C. I think he has more offense than people give him credit for, and that if given the chance could be a 40-55 point guy with decent wingers on a 2nd pp.. He may never get that chance on our team, but I definitely am a fan. In today's NHL the cutoff for a 1st line player is just 50 points.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I feel Like I am the only person in the world that could see paquette as a decent 2-way 2C. I think he has more offense than people give him credit for, and that if given the chance could be a 40-55 point guy with decent wingers on a 2nd pp.. He may never get that chance on our team, but I definitely am a fan. In today's NHL the cutoff for a 1st line player is just 50 points.

He's too streaky of a scorer and I don't think he can keep up regularly with top 6 forwards as his skating is a bit of a weak link. See a long time bottom 6 player with his physical play and ability to score in the dirty areas.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
He's too streaky of a scorer and I don't think he can keep up regularly with top 6 forwards as his skating is a bit of a weak link. See a long time bottom 6 player with his physical play and ability to score in the dirty areas.

Bergeron wasn't such a hot skater when he first hit the NHL either, nor the sedins. Rookies improve. And no, I'm not saying he will ever be close to those players.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Obviously Paquette has a huge head start in this poll and could IMO become one of those few players that could have a decent and long career as an energy guy. But at the same time I do think that both Richard and Peca have more upside. question is just, will they reach it?

I don't see a bigger upside for Richard than Paquette. One's a passer, one's a shooter. Paquette started playing his way out of Syracuse the moment he got there.

Peca might turn out the best of the three, but he still has a lot to prove. His numbers have been kind of stagnant for a few years. Hopefully we get a look at him with the Crunch.

Paquette looks like a quality 3C to me, and a guy who might score 20 goals someday even in that limited role. I don't see either of the other two being nearly the sure-bet that Paquette seems to be.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Paquette's shot release is legit, he's not scoring those goals by coincidence. 20 is not impossible for him, I agree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad