Pants are off as the Habs blow out the Sabres edition

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Despite all the opinions offered on this board about Prust being overpaid, from what I've seen so far he is worth every nickel.

From what I recall also, when the Habs signed him, pretty much every visiting Ranger poster said the same thing.

I love this guy's game. And make no mistake, playing with him gives Agall and Bgall confidence and they are playing far less tentatively than they would with any other linemate.

Oh, I still think "in a vacuum" he's overpaid. Thing is, you never know who is going to respond best to the influence of a player like him, and you never know if it's going to be a guy that you want to put on the ice at the same time. Given the situation, though (two young rookies earning full time spots and needing a vet to round out the line - which couldn't have been anticipated/predicted at the time of Prust's signing), and seeing the short term results, I'm letting his price tag slide at this point. Keep in mind, he could very well have ended up on a line with guys like Moen and Nokes, which wouldn't necessarily have had nearly the impact that he has had on the rookies, yet the price tag would be the same.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Oh, I still think "in a vacuum" he's overpaid. Thing is, you never know who is going to respond best to the influence of a player like him, and you never know if it's going to be a guy that you want to put on the ice at the same time. Given the situation, though (two young rookies earning full time spots and needing a vet to round out the line - which couldn't have been anticipated/predicted at the time of Prust's signing), and seeing the short term results, I'm letting his price tag slide at this point. Keep in mind, he could very well have ended up on a line with guys like Moen and Nokes, which wouldn't necessarily have had nearly the impact that he has had on the rookies, yet the price tag would be the same.

You make some great points but I think MB knew exactly what he was getting. Prust is only a 4th liner on very deep teams. He has very good hockey skills, is all energy, and is a tough MF.

When the Habs make the playoffs he will see an awful lot of ice time.

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007

My feeling is unused cap space doesn't play. From what I've seen of the NHL, cap problems are something only winning teams have really had to worry about - N.J., Chicago, have paid for cap problems. But NYR have been by far the most stupid with contracts in the cap era, and haven't really lost anything in terms of on-ice compromises, they either got suckers (us) or spent their way out. So far I think yes Prust is overpaid and yes I'm glad we decided to overspend for a guy like him. Who knows how it'll look long terms but he is on hell of a useful team player. How many guys in the league could you even consider putting with two rookies, one 18 and the other tiny, and actually create a credible line while actually providing serious protection? There aren't that many of them, actually.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
It's quite often true. Not always, but quite often. Definitely one of the bigger surprises vs my expectations so far this year, and I give Prust a lot of credit for making him feel comfortable and confident enough to just go out and play like he can.

Yeah, that's true !

I remember that after being drafted the consensus on this board and I had the same opinion after watching 2-3 on his games was that his skating was lacking in speed and he wasn't really quick. Alot of peoples were worried that it could prevent him to make an impact in the NHL. He still was a really productive, dominant player that played a gritty game in a pretty tough junior league. Kudos to him for working so much on his skating.

I see him as a future Brad Marchand has much as I want to punch that guy. A small gritty, energic top-6 player that can play a two-way physical game while being a pest and that can add speed and scoring to any line.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
Yeah, that's true !

I remember that after being drafted the consensus on this board and I had the same opinion after watching 2-3 on his games was that his skating was lacking in speed and he wasn't really quick. Alot of peoples were worried that it could prevent him to make an impact in the NHL. He still was a really productive, dominant player that played a gritty game in a pretty tough junior league. Kudos to him for working so much on his skating.

I see him as a future Brad Marchand has much as I want to punch that guy. A small gritty, energic top-6 player that can play a two-way physical game while being a pest and that can add speed and scoring to any line.
Gallagher lacks the rat gene that Marchand has, which is good.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Gallagher's a larger version of gionta--feisty, quick, quick release...and he plays with him so he will be able to model his game after him even more

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
Gallagher lacks the rat gene that Marchand has, which is good.

Don't worry he's the number one guy on my ''Peoples I want to punch in the face'' list, but I can acknowledge that there is some similarities and that Marchand is a pretty good and useful player and pest. I think Gallagher will be viewed the same way by others teams fans.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
You make some great points but I think MB knew exactly what he was getting. Prust is only a 4th liner on very deep teams. He has very good hockey skills, is all energy, and is a tough MF.

When the Habs make the playoffs he will see an awful lot of ice time.

True enough. But still, on a line with Moen and Nokes (for example), Prust would represent over half the cap hit of the line. Without the trickle down effect to the rookies, the production boost from having kids like them beside him, or the renewed hopes for a post season, it's unclear as to whether or not we'd be looking on Prust's 2.5M quite the same. Hindsight making Bergevin look extra clever targeting him, and I'm personally glad about that.

My feeling is unused cap space doesn't play. From what I've seen of the NHL, cap problems are something only winning teams have really had to worry about - N.J., Chicago, have paid for cap problems. But NYR have been by far the most stupid with contracts in the cap era, and haven't really lost anything in terms of on-ice compromises, they either got suckers (us) or spent their way out. So far I think yes Prust is overpaid and yes I'm glad we decided to overspend for a guy like him. Who knows how it'll look long terms but he is on hell of a useful team player. How many guys in the league could you even consider putting with two rookies, one 18 and the other tiny, and actually create a credible line while actually providing serious protection? There aren't that many of them, actually.

Good points, and I agree.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I'm in Florida and I missed it. :(

Was Eller a boss?

Eller was one of our best players...battled hard on the boards and showed great chemistry with Desharnais, they actually were able to get each other going, and was a two way threat all game.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City

Yeah I think the trick to have a winning team year in and year out is having some ''overpaids'' veterans that you get as UFAs and to balance that with successful well developped prospects/young players that are ''undepaids'' for their performances and bring up your team overall level of talent and energy.

It always help to have some veterans with home discounts or some steal signatures (Alex Burrows is an example).

68*

Eller was one of our best players...battled hard on the boards and showed great chemistry with Desharnais, they actually were able to get each other going, and was a two way threat all game.

Good. :)
I <3 Eller.

Thanks ElB.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I'm so happy for Desharnais and Eller, seeing them producing is great, especially with Therrien decision to keep them together. I'm very happy to see how Eller is playing (he was the best player on his line in the last 3-4 games IMO), a big energic two-way puck possession center (and winger) that is really getting good at taking faceoffs.

Me also. When a player struggles , especially a young guy, often a coach resorts to dropping him down the lines, cutting his playing time and sitting him out. The thinking here is the young guy is no doubt struggling because he isnt working hard enough. Alot of times this might be right, but in many cases no, it might be something else. i dont know if Eller actually has had great games recently in terms of effort, but I give it to MT that he tried something different, give Eller a real chance to succeed by playing with skilled linemates. Im sure I will be taking shots at MT soon enough, but so far so good, among other things he seems fairer to players and really wants to put them in situations where they can find success. Thats refreshing.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Great game for DD to get it going, he was really getting down on himself.

Last edited:

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I wouldn't count the Sens game as a test. Sens we're in banding mode after losing Spezza, Habs might've been distracted by the whole end to the Subban saga (thanks in part to our media) and it was also their first game with the backup goalie which is always a factor. There's always the question of nightly match-ups, as Habs were far worse last season than Ottawa yet managed 4 wins against them last season, two of which were blowouts. Their 1-0 loss against Carolina last night is an example of this.

Tomorrow will be a real test IMO.

As for the teams you listed, expect Ottawa to stumble a bit with the loss of Spezza, not sure they'll make the playoffs. Habs are more well-rounded while Ottawa relies more upon one line. Flyers have the Markov Syndrome which finally kicked in. They have the talent to band together, but their D is atrocious. And finally TB riding a hot streak which I don't expect to last, similarly to NY's cold streak.

NJ is a system's team, they could very well remain steady, but could also start feeling the loss of Parisé.

IMO, I see the Habs, if Markov can stay healthy, battling with NY, NJ, Bos and the Pens for the top 5, while TB, Philly and Ott could very well be on the outside looking in.

I don't think the sens are that bad, they're more than a one line team for sure, Turris and his line are helping out. The only reason I count them in there is cause they're a well balanced team (nothing special but nothing bad either) and Anderson is really coming into his own and fitting in well with the sens too. If anyone looks at his numbers they'll say he was average, but after the first brutal 10 games he had with the sens he was playing good all last season and it carried over to this season and he's been on fire. I think the sens are a sure fire playoff team, most likely in the bottom 4 though. As for the point you made about the Flyers, you're right their D is brutal but their offense will carry them into the playoffs as well as Bryz who has been better this season than his numbers suggest.

IMO you might be right about the habs, we have all the pieces so its just a matter of staying healthy...

Top 6: Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole and Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta
Top 4: Markov - Emelin and Subban - Gorges
Goalie: Price

We have the Prust and Gallys contributing lots too...like I said, IMO it's a matter of staying healthy and getting a little bit more out of Cole and Desharnais. Pleks line is always consistent whether they contribute points or not, the effort is there. If they play the way they've been playing in all the games so far (minus the sens one) we'll deffs be a playoff team and more

Davebo*

I didn't get a chance to watch the game earlier, but I'm watching the MSG broadcast of the game now. This graphic popped up, and buddy said that Montreal have 4 defenceman either leading the NHL or are in the top five in 4 different major category's for defenceman.

I'm impressed - I hope they keep on impressing. Great start so far!

NHL20130202SabresatCanadiens720pHDSTRx264-TSTNmp4_snapshot_001422_20130203_004040_zpsa79ce6c0.jpg

Davebo*

I'm liking PK's game just 10 minutes in so far. Responsible looking rush - crisp passing. One minor little bobble on D so far.

Pretty damn good for being off so long.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Hey guys. I was at the game and I got a question. Why did they play 3 vs 3 for a while? I thought 3 vs 3 play was not allowed since a long time? Did they bring it back?

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
I'm drunk

Eller actually had hustle. You can see Therrien lit a fire under his ass. Best effort since a long time, quite happy to see him score.

Desharnais also had a good game, you could see he was getting back some of his touch. And two goals.

Plekanec is such an important player, damn, he always makes the right play and he's such a good all-around finisher. Great game from him, he's so efficient and tight.

Chucky played his best game yet. Shows a lot of skill for a guy who just made the big league. I think keeping him in Montreal was the right move. The guy doesn't seem intimidated to much and he's so, so good. Of course he'll have worst game as he adapt but still. what a showcase.

I could go on about other players, but really, what a dominating win. This feels so, so good. Now, if they could only get some revenge tomorrow against the Sens...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad