LeBrun: Panthers working hard to trade Reimer

Status
Not open for further replies.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Something around Reimer @ 50% retained for Sparks and Brown.

Leafs replace Sparks with a guy that has a .914 career SV% (worst 3 years were concussion, concussion,Florida defense) and save about 400k in cap space if they play Petan or other near league minimum guy.

Panthers stash a 3rd goalie in the AHL and grab a RW that can PK.

This trade is good but ignores the fact that Panthers likely don't want to take salary back

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Jack Johnson +Tristan Jarry for James Reimer+ 3rd Round Pick?

Besides the fact that we already have our own Jarry in Montembeault (plus Knight who is better than both of them), why would you think this make any sense for us? The point of trading Reimer is to clear his 3.4m x 2y contract. Why would we take back a 3.5m x 4y cap dump to do that?

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Really don’t know why everyone thinks selling on Hoffman is a question at hand if the Panthers sign Panarin.
I get it... sell high... but if the intention was to generate a lateral move (replacing one winger of high output with another), the cash-conscious Panthers would not be spending a ton of money in free agency.
It’s pretty clear the Panthers intend to try to put a winning team on the ice in a last-ditch effort to attract fans in the building. By adding more talent, not by reallocating a cheaper contract with a more expensive one.
I might be reading your post wrong, but you seem to think that the Panthers will hold onto their winger talent to attract fans.
The way you attract fans is by winning games. No team needs 4 first line wingers. The idea would be to trade from a position of strength to address areas of needs. If we get Panarin, Hoffman becomes trade bait to improve the lackluster defense corps.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
You don't really take back $2.9M in terms of cap though. It's only an increase of about 400k you just shift where the money goes.

Send $1.8M out, take $2.875 back but you bury Sparks in the minors negating 750k and Brown replaces what would be a roster spot up front making near league minimum in theory.

Yeah, but how does it benefit the Panthers? It benefits the Leafs obviously, but not the Panthers. Tallon plan is Bob, Panarin, and Stralman, so he wants to move Reimer, with at most 50% retention, and no money coming back.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Florida isn't trying to take $$ or someone else's bad contract back. Ideally, they would just attach a positive asset to him like a pick(s) or prospect and jettison him. They could also retain on him and send a not as valuable pick to someone to take him on. Other than that, they could buy him out.

Here's what a buyout would look like

Cap Hit Calculations

SEASONINITIAL BASE SALARYINITIAL CAP HITSIGNING BONUSBUYOUT COSTPOST-BUYOUT EARNINGSSAVINGSCAP HIT (
florida_panthers.svg
FLA)
2019-20$3,100,000$3,400,000$0$658,333$658,333$2,441,667$958,333
2020-21$850,000$3,400,000$2,250,000$658,333$2,908,333$191,667$3,208,333
2021-22$0$0$0$658,333$658,333-$658,333$658,333
2022-23$0$0$0$658,333$658,333-$658,333$658,333
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

That 2nd year buyout cap hit is the real killer here, making the buyout practically useless. I mean they'd get significantly more cap relief for the 2nd year by sending Reimer to AHL than buying him out. Just brutal buyout figure. They have to find a way to trade him, even if it requires 50% salary retention and attaching pick to Reimer.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Tallon would probably rather attach a 1st to Reimer then send two of our best young players who we will need on ELC/cheaper contracts going forward.

I like Brodin but not in this type of deal.
I mean, Ek would be cheap too. Frankly probably cheaper than Borgstrom, considering he will sign cheap for the next 2-3 years where as Borgstrom could get a bigger contract next summer if he scores more next season.

The main motive behind the trade was improving Florida's atrocious defense, and generally speaking that's tough to do if you don't give up something you consider valuable. You certainly can't get anything like that with Reimer + 1st. I thought it was a pretty fair trade, and if anything, it would actually be the Wild that wouldn't do it. Because both those two prospects are big gambles, where as Brodin is a really good player and Ek also has potential to be a play driving two-way horse (Barkov without the skill).

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I mean, Ek would be cheap too. Frankly probably cheaper than Borgstrom, considering he will sign cheap for the next 2-3 years where as Borgstrom could get a bigger contract next summer if he scores more next season.

The main motive behind the trade was improving Florida's atrocious defense, and generally speaking that's tough to do if you don't give up something you consider valuable. You certainly can't get anything like that with Reimer + 1st. I thought it was a pretty fair trade, and if anything, it would actually be the Wild that wouldn't do it. Because both those two prospects are big gambles, where as Brodin is a really good player and Ek also has potential to be a play driving two-way horse (Barkov without the skill).

Ek and Borgstrom in this deal make no sense. FLA would keep the better player/C and feel that's Borgstrom.
Tippett is arguably our best prospect and would hopefully replace Hoffman's scoring on a ELC.
Brodin is a solid upgrade to our defense but still not enough to lose the two big gambles, who most FLA fans feel will be great complimentary players.
I understand the value of it but Tallon should be fired if he does this deal.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
They won't be able to deal Reimer without taking similar salary back for a goalie, or retaining 50% for a 4th.

His production isn't good enough for anything over 2 million.
They just need to add a good enough sweetener and someone will grab him.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Ek and Borgstrom in this deal make no sense. FLA would keep the better player/C and feel that's Borgstrom.
Tippett is arguably our best prospect and would hopefully replace Hoffman's scoring on a ELC.
Brodin is a solid upgrade to our defense but still not enough to lose the two big gambles, who most FLA fans feel will be great complimentary players.
I understand the value of it but Tallon should be fired if he does this deal.
I think the Ek/Borgstrom swap actually makes a ton of sense, because behind Barkov and Trochek I feel a center not as depended on offensive minutes and opportunities would be a better fit. Ek being a strong defensive player and not needing (or even warranting) those offensive minutes to be useful would be a smart addition. It would also ease Barkov's load. Where as for the Wild, they'd like to add a center who can hopefully score more. I do think Borgstrom has more value because of his offensive potential, but not that much, and it's getting evened out elsewhere in the trade. I think it makes a lot of sense.

Personally I've never been a huge fan of Tippett and question whether he can be the kind of goal scorer he needs to be at the NHL level. I know some Florida fans have had the same questions as his post-draft progress, although not bad by any means, hasn't been slam dunk level either. He is one of your best prospects (better than Heponiemi, Denisenko, Noel? perhaps, tough to say), but then again, Brodin would be by far your best defensive defenseman, and a huge add to your roster if you finally want to start winning.

Usually a sign of a good and fair trade proposal is when fans of both teams dislike it, and that happened with this one. So I take it as a success.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Reimer at $3.4 mil per for two more years---that's just way too much. I don't think he's a very good backup even. If Florida wants to give up a 1st or a really really good prospect--maybe but it would have to be worthwhile.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The buyout killer is next year because Reimer has a signing bonus of 2.25M. If they're going to get both Panarin and Bobrovsky, they really need to get someone to take Reimer even if they have to retain and add something to it.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I think the Ek/Borgstrom swap actually makes a ton of sense, because behind Barkov and Trochek I feel a center not as depended on offensive minutes and opportunities would be a better fit. Ek being a strong defensive player and not needing (or even warranting) those offensive minutes to be useful would be a smart addition. It would also ease Barkov's load. Where as for the Wild, they'd like to add a center who can hopefully score more. I do think Borgstrom has more value because of his offensive potential, but not that much, and it's getting evened out elsewhere in the trade. I think it makes a lot of sense.

Personally I've never been a huge fan of Tippett and question whether he can be the kind of goal scorer he needs to be at the NHL level. I know some Florida fans have had the same questions as his post-draft progress, although not bad by any means, hasn't been slam dunk level either. He is one of your best prospects (better than Heponiemi, Denisenko, Noel? perhaps, tough to say), but then again, Brodin would be by far your best defensive defenseman, and a huge add to your roster if you finally want to start winning.

Usually a sign of a good and fair trade proposal is when fans of both teams dislike it, and that happened with this one. So I take it as a success.

I still keep Borgstrom and flank him with veteran players while maybe bumping Trocheck down to 3C with newer/rookie players in a year or two. We finally have the depth at C if they all perform, we just traded McCann as well. Barkov, Trocheck and the 4C should get the majority of DZ starts where Borgstrom may get more sheltered OZ starts.

Our board just voted Tippett as our top prospect. I'm one of his biggest fans, I agree he has not progressed as quick as we had hoped but still feel this kid has 25-30 goal potential in him. Hepo did play in Liiga this year but he's not NHL ready in terms of size, needs to get up around 165-170lbs imo.
Denisenko played well against his own age group but was too young/inexperienced for KHL, should get a bigger role this upcoming year though. Noel is actually my favorite prospect we have, kid is very unique and has true power forward in him if he plays to his size.

As much as Brodin would help, management/Tallon likes Weegar as the #4 and the Q effect to turn around the defense. weegar.PNG
He's cheaper, hits more and had similar production in 18 less games (injury).

Don't think this is a smart trade for us. As said before, would much rather give up our 2020 1st + Reimer at full cost to move his deal before giving up these two players. Hoping with 30-50% retention, a 2nd + middling prospect would do it.

Reactions: Ratsreign

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
I might be reading your post wrong, but you seem to think that the Panthers will hold onto their winger talent to attract fans.
The way you attract fans is by winning games. No team needs 4 first line wingers. The idea would be to trade from a position of strength to address areas of needs. If we get Panarin, Hoffman becomes trade bait to improve the lackluster defense corps.
I mean, you sort of quoted a post that clearly says "their intent is to put a winning team on the ice." :laugh:

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
As much as Brodin would help, management/Tallon likes Weegar as the #4 and the Q effect to turn around the defense.
He's cheaper, hits more and had similar production in 18 less games (injury).

Don't think this is a smart trade for us. As said before, would much rather give up our 2020 1st + Reimer at full cost to move his deal before giving up these two players. Hoping with 30-50% retention, a 2nd + middling prospect would do it.
Yeah sure you can dump him, but that doesn't solve the defense issues.

I liked Weegar last season from what I saw, but he didn't strike me as a particularly strong defensive player, more like Matheson type of athletic and strong skater type of player with defensive issues. The main problem is that your top 3 is already kinda hopeless defensively. I'm not sure what Q can do about that, and I fail to see how Weegar turns anything around. You need a defensive stud to balance things.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Reimer + FLA 2020 2nd + COL 2020 3rd for Cannauton/Barberio (either 50 % retained)
That's an interesting idea. It feels a bit in FLA's favour due to how valuable capspace is and because of the fact that they'd be getting a serviceable NHL defenseman to boot, but I do like the idea and I think it would nicely round out this weeks trades for Colorado.

Looking at what that would look like in the bigger picture:

Soderberg <-------> 3rd + Connauton
2nd + 3rd <------> Burakovsky
Connauton <------> Reimer + 2nd + 3rd​

That's effectively:

Soderberg <-----> Burakovsky + Reimer + 3rd​

Effectively exchanging 1 year of Soderberg (UFA 2020) for Burakovsky (who is 10 years younger) would be a shrewd move, and would basically only cost capspace for Reimer while also gaining a 2020 3rd (along with exchanging COL 2020 2nd for FLA 2020 2nd which is likely a minor gain for Avs).

Moreover, Colorado needs an NHL-capable/veteran goaltender to start in the AHL while Adam Werner settles, and to cover the possibility that Francouz might struggle as backup to Grubauer, so Reimer might be a decent solution to fill that role, even if he's expensive.

This trade for Reimer would also allow Sakic to get back to a full set of 2020 picks (albeit FLA's 2020 2nd instead of COL 2020 2nd). Needless to say, this would be a great way to weaponise capspace, just as with Grubauer last year, to recoup picks while also filling a need.

That said, I do wonder if Sakic would feel comfortable trading the depth defenseman he's gained this week though (i.e. Connauton), given that Connauton is basically the insurance while Cole and Johnson are out, unless of course Byram and/or Timmins are deemed to be ready for at least a few games in October.

With Connauton traded this is what the Avs would be rolling with on opening night (assuming Barrie is still there):

Girard Makar
Zadorov Barrie
Barberio Graves
--------------------------
Byram Timmins
(IR: Cole, Johnson)​

Last edited:
Reactions: AslanRH

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
What are your thoughts on a trade along the lines of Barrie (with retention) in exchange for Reimer and a Top 6 forward (and adding picks as necessary on either side)?

For example, something like:

Barrie @ 50% retention (cap hit of $2.75m in 2019-20) <-------> Huberdeau + Reimer
or
Barrie <------> Trocheck + Reimer + COL 2020 3rd

The logic for Florida

• With the expected signing of Panarin (and Bob) FLA's top 6 would be absolutely stacked (as shown below), and the obvious move would be to move one of their top 6 forwards for a Top 4 RHD...
Panarin ------- Barkov ---- Hoffman
Huberdeau -- Trocheck -- Dadonov​

• Adding Barrie would massively solidify what is currently a very average blueline for FLA:
Yandle ---- Ekblad
Matheson -- Barrie
Benn ------ Pysyk
Juulsen​
  • Cap-wise, retention on Barrie and taking Reimer's contract would help FLA with capspace for Panarin + Bobrovsky.
  • Moving Huberdeau/Trocheck opens up further cap to extend Barrie. Pysyk could also be moved to make room at RHD and with cap ($2.7m)
The logic for Colorado:

• Colorado has a huge amount of capspace, and a trade like this would allow them to take advantage of that, while also getting value from a pending UFA.
  • Colorado would get the young 2C that they need to contend now, in either Huberdeau or Trocheck.
  • As mentioned in my post above this one, Colorado would also fill a need with an NHL-capable veteran goaltender behind Grubauer and Francouz to start in the AHL with Werner.
  • Colorado's forward group would be:
Landeskog ---- Mackinnon ---------- Rantanen
Kerfoot --- Trocheck/Huberdeau --- Burakovsky
Nieto ----------------- Jost -------------- Compher
Greer ------------- Kamenev ------------- Calvert
------------------------------------------------------------
O'Connor ------------ Bowers -------------- Kaut
--------------------- Newhook ---------------------​

(Note: Either of Huberdeau or Trocheck could move to the wing if/when Newhook is ready in a couple of years)​

• Trading Barrie would admittedly leave Colorado quite weak in defense short-term given that Cole and Johnson are out to start the season. However, franchise-altering trades like this need to focus on the long-term rather than the immediate short-term, and this would be an acceptable risk given the young defenseman Colorado have coming through. Obviously the defense to start the season (shown below) wouldn't be ideal, but it may even prove to be a blessing as Timmins and/or Byram may be afforded opportunity to play to start the season (in place of Barberio/Connauton/Graves).
Girard --------- Makar
Zadorov ------- Barberio
Connauton -- Graves
-------------------------
Byram ----- Timmins
Meloche ---- Helleson
IR: Cole (December), Johnson (return before Cole)
  • As mentioned above, if FLA want to open up more cap space they could include Pysyk's $2.7m contract in the trade as well (in exchange for a pick perhaps), which would also help Colorado at RHD in the short term until Johnson/Cole are back.
Other points:

• Both GM's would be avoiding trading within their respective conference.
  • Colorado would regain their own 2020 3rd round pick from FLA, thus enabling them to offersheet in the $1.3m-$2.1m and 4.2m-6.3m ranges (unlikely as it would be that they would do so).

Last edited:

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Any update?

They have until 5pm tomorrow to buy him out.

(Though they can buy him out if one of their 2 arb eligible guys actually has a hearing)

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
What are your thoughts on a trade along the lines of Barrie (with retention) in exchange for Reimer and a Top 6 forward (and adding picks as necessary on either side)?

For example, something like:

Barrie @ 50% retention (cap hit of $2.75m in 2019-20) <-------> Huberdeau + Reimer
or
Barrie <------> Trocheck + Reimer + COL 2020 3rd

The logic for Florida

• With the expected signing of Panarin (and Bob) FLA's top 6 would be absolutely stacked (as shown below), and the obvious move would be to move one of their top 6 forwards for a Top 4 RHD...
Panarin ---- Barkov ---- Hoffman
Huberdeau -- Trocheck -- Dadonov​

• Adding Barrie would massively solidify what is currently a very average blueline for FLA:
Yandle ---- Ekblad
Matheson -- Barrie
Benn ------ Pysyk
Juulsen​
  • Cap-wise, retention on Barrie and taking Reimer's contract would help FLA with capspace for Panarin + Bobrovsky.
  • Moving Huberdeau/Trocheck opens up further cap to extend Barrie. Pysyk could also be moved to make room at RHD and with cap ($2.7m)
The logic for Colorado:

• Colorado has a huge amount of capspace, and a trade like this would allow them to take advantage of that, while also getting value from a pending UFA.
  • Colorado would get the young 2C that they need to contend now, in either Huberdeau or Trocheck.
  • As mentioned in my post above this one, Colorado would also fill a need with an NHL-capable veteran goaltender behind Grubauer and Francouz to start in the AHL with Werner.
  • Colorado's forward group would be:
Landeskog ---- Mackinnon ---------- Rantanen
Kerfoot --- Trocheck/Huberdeau --- Burakovsky
Nieto ----------------- Jost -------------- Compher
Greer ------------- Kamenev ------------- Calvert
------------------------------------------------------------
O'Connor ------------ Bowers -------------- Kaut
--------------------- Newhook ---------------------​

(Note: Either of Huberdeau or Trocheck could move to the wing if/when Newhook is ready in a couple of years)​

• Trading Barrie would admittedly leave Colorado quite weak in defense short-term given that Cole and Johnson are out to start the season. However, franchise-altering trades like this need to focus on the long-term rather than the immediate short-term, and this would be an acceptable risk given the young defenseman Colorado have coming through. Obviously the defense to start the season (shown below) wouldn't be ideal, but it may even prove to be a blessing as Timmins and/or Byram may be afforded opportunity to play to start the season (in place of Barberio/Connauton/Graves).
Girard ----- Makar
Zadorov --- Barberio
Connauton -- Graves
Byram ----- Timmins
Meloche ---- Helleson
IR: Cole (December), Johnson (return before Cole)
  • As mentioned above, if FLA want to open up more cap space they could include Pysyk's $2.7m contract in the trade as well (in exchange for a pick perhaps), which would also help Colorado at RHD in the short term until Johnson/Cole are back.
Other points:

• Both GM's would be avoiding trading within their respective conference.
  • Colorado would regain their own 2020 3rd round pick from FLA, thus enabling them to offersheet in the $1.3m-$2.1m and 4.2m-6.3m ranges (unlikely as it would be that they would do so).

If Tallon trades Huberdeau or Trocheck to move Reimer, he should be prosecuted for hate crimes against the FLA fans. This is really bad for FLA, even with Barrie in the mix. We already have Yandle, who is a Barrie type player while Matheson and Ekblad look to be 30-40pt defensemen as well.

Also, Huberdeau is a not C by the way.

Reactions: Laus723 and Kellyr

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
If Tallon trades Huberdeau or Trocheck to move Reimer, he should be prosecuted for hate crimes against the FLA fans. This is really bad for FLA, even with Barrie in the mix. We already have Yandle, who is a Barrie type player while Matheson and Ekblad look to be 30-40pt defensemen as well.

Also, Huberdeau is a not C by the way.
Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated.

Interesting that Colorado and Florida literally just struck a deal as I posted that, even if it's an AHL level trade. Seems Sakic and Tallon are talking...

Would additional draft picks (including COL 2020 1st), prospects, or even 100% retention on Barrie for a season make it work? Presumably Barrie would be extended too (though I appreciate he might not be the ideal stylistic fit given what you said).

Regarding Huberdeau, I agree he's more of a LW, but for the purpose of my post I put him at C, though I'm sure he'd probably play at LW with one of Jost/Kerfoot/Compher doing a decent enouch job as 2C in between wingers like Huberdeau and Burakovsky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad