LeBrun: Panthers working hard to trade Reimer

Status
Not open for further replies.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
They won't be able to deal Reimer without taking similar salary back for a goalie, or retaining 50% for a 4th.

His production isn't good enough for anything over 2 million.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Lmao, why would we do that?

I go under the assumption Florida signs both Columbus guys and needs capspace(trading Reimer and Hoffman opens up close to 8.5M). Hoffman with 1 year left has the value of a very late first rounder, Reimer has negative value

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
As Hawks fan if they retain 1M and send a 3rd that would be fine for me

I want a vet behind Crawford given his injury history over last 2 years and don't think Delia is ready for the role

Reimer at 2.4M + 3rd would be good pickup for Hawks

Reactions: Laus723

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
FLO:
Lindgren, Charlie (Let Montambault & Lindgren fight it off for the backup duties)
Florida's own 2020 5th rd pick

MTL:
Florida's 2020 2nd rd pick
Avs' 2020 3rd rd pick

I think that's fair, same term length for both goalies, Florida sheds 2.65M AAV off the cap and takes a chance on a younger goalie who has had good stretches of play at the NHL level already.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I go under the assumption Florida signs both Columbus guys and needs capspace(trading Reimer and Hoffman opens up close to 8.5M). Hoffman with 1 year left has the value of a very late first rounder, Reimer has negative value

Hoffman just scored 70 points, there’s no guarantee we sign Panarin atm, we currently have 24 mil in cap space after Lou’s retirement, and are apparently looking to move Pysyk. Hoffman is very affordable and I don’t see him as a sweetener in a deal like this.

Reimer sucks. Flat out. He gets way too low/leans too far forward, he seems to just lose the puck at times...he can basically summarized this way: he sometimes looks like an all-star, but far too often he looks like he should be in a beer league.

Panthers can send him down for a year and pay less in a buyout, but they clearly want him gone. Monty showed he’s more than capable as a backup.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Hoffman just scored 70 points, there’s no guarantee we sign Panarin atm, we currently have 24 mil in cap space after Lou’s retirement, and are apparently looking to move Pysyk. Hoffman is very affordable and I don’t see him as a sweetener in a deal like this.

Once again my point was made with the assumption Florida scores the daily double of Panarin and Bobrovski(thus needing to free up capspace). If they sign Panarin all of a sudden Hoffman becomes expendable basically

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Once again my point was made with the assumption Florida scores the daily double of Panarin and Bobrovski(thus needing to free up capspace). If they sign Panarin all of a sudden Hoffman becomes expendable basically

That we can use on a defenseman. Imo there’s no way he’s a sweetener to remove Reimer. That’s dumb.

Reactions: drktmplr12

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Panthers aren't retaining, aren't taking back Jack Johnson Kris Russell or any other cap dumps and aren't attaching a first. At that point they might as well just buy him out. Reimer's salary is only $3.4 million. That doesn't necessitate a 1st round pick. Maybe a 2nd. More likely a 3rd.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
We are going to give you 1.4, so we can take back 2.9? Why is it so hard to understand that they dont want to take back salary?
You don't really take back $2.9M in terms of cap though. It's only an increase of about 400k you just shift where the money goes.

Send $1.8M out, take $2.875 back but you bury Sparks in the minors negating 750k and Brown replaces what would be a roster spot up front making near league minimum in theory.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I said this in other thread but

Borgstrom, Tippett, Reimer

for

Brodin, Ek

Florida dumps the contract, gets a really good defensive top 4 defenseman who is also adequate playing the right side, and a young center who doesn't have as much offensive upside as Borgstrom but is a good strong skater who plays the right way and took big steps in the last quarter of last season.

Minny gets couple young forwards with good offensive upside, replacing Ek with a more offensive center and adding a goal scoring RH winger that they desperately need. Bit of a gamble, but you rarely get these kind players once they reach their upside.

Tallon would probably rather attach a 1st to Reimer then send two of our best young players who we will need on ELC/cheaper contracts going forward.

I like Brodin but not in this type of deal.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
:panthers :sens
James Reimer 33 percent retained and a 2020 2nd Round Pick
for
Mike Condon and Ben Harpur and a 2021 3rd Round Pick

Notes:
1) FLA will bury Harpur and get the full cap hit back. If they play him, his cap hit is near league minimum and he takes up a roster spot.
2) FLA will buyout Condon for 400k this year and 1M next year.

Florida's Side of Things re: Cap Space
Total dead cap throughout lifetime of those two contracts and Reimer's retained salary=3.644M
Total dead cap throughout lifetime of a Reimer buyout=5.483M
Result: FLA saves nearly 2M in cap space.

Ottawa's Side of Things re: Salary
Total salary owed to Reimer=4.092M (6.2 with 33 percent retained)
Total salary owed to Condon/Harpur=3.8M
Result: Ottawa adds only 292k in salary

Supplementary Trade
Craig Anderson to PHI for a 2020 3rd Round Pick
(Sens can retain up to 50 percent of Anderson's contract and end up spending less total money than they would have if they kept Anderson and did not acquire Reimer to replace him. Still, they probably would ideally like to not retain)

Justification for the swap of draft picks
-The Senators aren't really getting an upgrade over Anderson. More of a change of scenery.
-Reimer is owed lockout proof signing bonuses.
-Florida is saving 2 million worth of cap space.
-This trade allowing the Senators to get a pick for Anderson from a third team helps subsidize the cost of the deal for FLA.
-Sens do the deal for the soft return because when dumping Anderson's salary is figured in, they could walk away with a net gain of a 2020 2nd and close to 4 million off the books.​

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
Panthers aren't retaining, aren't taking back Jack Johnson Kris Russell or any other cap dumps and aren't attaching a first. At that point they might as well just buy him out. Reimer's salary is only $3.4 million. That doesn't necessitate a 1st round pick. Maybe a 2nd. More likely a 3rd.
Careful with that reasonable logic there.

Reactions: kerrabria

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I'd like the Canes to take him on. If Florida is willing to retain up to a third of his salary that would be a no brainer for us.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Really don’t know why everyone thinks selling on Hoffman is a question at hand if the Panthers sign Panarin.
I get it... sell high... but if the intention was to generate a lateral move (replacing one winger of high output with another), the cash-conscious Panthers would not be spending a ton of money in free agency.
It’s pretty clear the Panthers intend to try to put a winning team on the ice in a last-ditch effort to attract fans in the building. By adding more talent, not by reallocating a cheaper contract with a more expensive one.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'd like the Canes to take him on. If Florida is willing to retain up to a third of his salary that would be a no brainer for us.
No chance, I'd only consider it if we strike out on any reasonable goalie ufa.

No need to help out a team competing with us for a wild card spot boost their roster in Bob and Panarin for anything less than a first.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
No chance, I'd only consider it if we strike out on any reasonable goalie ufa.

No need to help out a team competing with us for a wild card spot boost their roster in Bob and Panarin for anything less than a first.

Playing behind your defense, I think Reimer could get Mrazek type numbers for you guys. Gotta remember our D was pretty atrocious all year long. Reimer has been just as consistent as Mrazek as well, very similar numbers. I'd assume someone would pay Mrazek a 3-4yr x $ $3.5 to 4 million deal in open market. With Reimer being retained 30-50%, we could offer up cheap NHL players like Malgin (middle 6 RW) or Sceviour (bottom 6 RW) + 2020 3rd

Petr Mrazek Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

James Reimer Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Last edited:

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
If Montreal strikes out on Gardiner/Duchene, I could see them take him without retention for picks (like 2nd + 3rd) in the next draft since they host the thing.

They don't need capspace for the next 2 years and they need a backup with NHL experience. Would be smart to use that opportunity to overpay and get the assets. 2021-2022 is when they will need all their cap.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Playing behind your defense, I think Reimer could get Mrazek type numbers for you guys. Gotta remember our D was pretty atrocious all year long. Reimer has been just as consistent as Mrazek as well, very similar numbers. I'd assume someone would pay Mrzaek a 3-4yr x $ $3.5 to 4 million deal in open market. With Reimer being retained 30-50%, we could offer up cheap NHL players like Malgin (middle 6 RW) or Sceviour (bottom 6 RW) + 2020 3rd

Petr Mrazek Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

James Reimer Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
I'd revisit if we can't get Varlamov, Lehner, or Mrazek under contract, but until that point that would have to be something that's just simply on the back burner.

Will say I'd easily rather have Reimer than Talbot or Smith next season.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
I said this in other thread but

Borgstrom, Tippett, Reimer

for

Brodin, Ek

Florida dumps the contract, gets a really good defensive top 4 defenseman who is also adequate playing the right side, and a young center who doesn't have as much offensive upside as Borgstrom but is a good strong skater who plays the right way and took big steps in the last quarter of last season.

Minny gets couple young forwards with good offensive upside, replacing Ek with a more offensive center and adding a goal scoring RH winger that they desperately need. Bit of a gamble, but you rarely get these kind players once they reach their upside.

Your name...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad