Post-Game Talk: Panthers win but lose another forward in the last game on FS Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
One of the biggest accomplishments over the last 3 games is that the team is not sleepwalking through the first period - either generating a nice cushion in the first or at least not be forced to chase from the start of the 2nd and relying on a great 3rd period!

Coaching staff did a great job, maybe also the players realized they have to play 100% throughout the game to compensate for Barky, Horny and Ek. Execution has been there right from the first second of the game.

So great to see that they give it all for the missing go-to guys, that Bob is delivering on an impressive basis and they manage to play with a lead.

CursedCats

Mar 10, 2020
I can see that being a thing for a GM, but why should I care as a fan? If a good or expensive player plays well, I'm happy. If a bad or cheap player plays well, I'm happy. How much money they get for it has nothing to do with what they do to help the team win.

Well, his career as a Panther hasn’t been great as his salary indicates it should be so that’s where the criticism comes from. If he’d been elite these past couple of years, no one would care either.

The salary impacts the team because there’s a cap. That could be used on other areas of the team to improve scoring or defense while we’d still have Driedger and the best goalie prospect in the world in Knight.

Either way, hopefully he plays well since we’re stuck with him now for about a decade. For comparison’s sake, Luongo was criticized heavily in Vancouver for the same reason and Luongo actually took them to a Stanley Cup Final. So the criticism of Bob will probably never stop, and I’m one of the guys who do criticize when he underperforms because it’s frustrating lol.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Well, his career as a Panther hasn’t been great as his salary indicates it should be so that’s where the criticism comes from. If he’d been elite these past couple of years, no one would care either.

The salary impacts the team because there’s a cap. That could be used on other areas of the team to improve scoring or defense while we’d still have Driedger and the best goalie prospect in the world in Knight.

Either way, hopefully he plays well since we’re stuck with him now for about a decade. For comparison’s sake, Luongo was criticized heavily in Vancouver for the same reason and Luongo actually took them to a Stanley Cup Final. So the criticism of Bob will probably never stop, and I’m one of the guys who do criticize when he underperforms because it’s frustrating lol.
It's up to the GM to make the salaries work. Just like the coach should disregard player salaries, I suggest fans could as well.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
I haven't read through the GDT, but the virtual vault where they surprised Randy with the video montage of his time with the Panthers from '94 to present day as a player, Radio play-by-play, and now TV colour commentator was really nice to see. You could tell it definitely choked him up, as he said he wasn't expecting that.

:clap:

s-l400.jpg

Is there a video of it online?

Here ya go:

Thomas Colavecchio

Mar 24, 2019
One of the biggest accomplishments over the last 3 games is that the team is not sleepwalking through the first period - either generating a nice cushion in the first or at least not be forced to chase from the start of the 2nd and relying on a great 3rd period!

Coaching staff did a great job, maybe also the players realized they have to play 100% throughout the game to compensate for Barky, Horny and Ek. Execution has been there right from the first second of the game.

So great to see that they give it all for the missing go-to guys, that Bob is delivering on an impressive basis and they manage to play with a lead.

For all of the issues that has plagued this franchise, particularly during the past several years where expectations were rarely met, its seems now like a corner is being turned, can it be the old trends really are changing?

This season, with all the pitfalls that every team faces due to the COVID-19 impacts, this past week with gave perfect opportunity for the "old Florida Panthers to re-appear. First, a 3 game losing streak, then include Barky's and Horny's injuries, followed by the serious Ek injury on Sunday night. The groundwork was right there, in full view for all of us to see, for the "old" Panthers to return.

Without mentioning names, the only reason being that I would inadvertently exclude someone, the group's "new culture" and a team first attitude, one that I am sure Mr. Zito and Coach Q had envisioned during the off-season; came to the front and would not allow that to happen.

How do you spell refreshing?? Now, Ek's injury while devastating to see, thankfully turns out to be nowhere near as serious as it easily could have been. Then, Spencer Knight signs his ELC, can Lundell's signing his be that far behind?

Might it be that a new trend is really is taking hold? As fans, we can only hope that it is, and that it continues...

Last edited:

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
If anything his domination of the Wings is a career long thing.

The Bob haters are running out of things to complain about. Its very obvious in every GDT where he does well.

Judge and Bob are both very capable. Its that positive problem to have like I spoke about early in the season. Oh and Bob is now getting more than his 50% crease share.

Q has done a great job handling this.

Its not about complaining. Of course Bob is capable of being an elite goaltender. We know that, and everyone knows that. But he’s been woefully inconsistent this year and hasn’t brought that elite level play nearly as much as he should.

Does Bob have lewd photos of you? I mean, with all due respect I don’t get all of the tire pumping when he clearly hasn’t played up to the level he is capable of the last 2 years.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Its not about complaining. Of course Bob is capable of being an elite goaltender. We know that, and everyone knows that. But he’s been woefully inconsistent this year and hasn’t brought that elite level play nearly as much as he should.

Does Bob have lewd photos of you? I mean, with all due respect I don’t get all of the tire pumping when he clearly hasn’t played up to the level he is capable of the last 2 years.
Pretty childish dig over a difference in opinión. Plus, I would be quite surprised if he kept the photos.

The man has years of history of elite play. No last seasons debacle with our D doesnt change that.

The difference in play in front of him this season is night and day. And his numbers are returning to form as they should.

The contract never had a chance to work out unless he takes us to a cup. But the comments made about declining skills and him being a replacement value goalie were always an overreaction and never based in reality.

Last edited:

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

Trashing Bob every time there’s a softie probably makes you feel better but won’t make him play any better.

He was much more inconsistent last year than this year, and he was more inconsistent at the start of this year (covid?) than lately. He looks very good right now.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Trashing Bob every time there’s a softie probably makes you feel better but won’t make him play any better.

He was much more inconsistent last year than this year, and he was more inconsistent at the start of this year (covid?) than lately. He looks very good right now.
I dont see why acknowledging this is so difficult.

Last edited:
Reactions: IM Clutcm

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
No no, I believe you said something to the fact that you need to see Bob with 15 straight games of a sv% of .935 or better. That's absurd! Name one goalie in the League this year that has done just that?
You said you are not going to debate who is better, that it will be obvious by the end of the season. PS I love the small sample size.
I said, sure tell me when Bob post a stat line like Driedger: 13 games with a SV% of 0.9375 or better with the Panthers.
Then you said, Sure, talk to you in March.

If small sample size are so favorable, it should be able to work in Bob's favor too. We have not been so fortunate.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Stats are quite silly sometimes.

Did you know if an opposition clears the puck from their own end, say on the penalty kill, and it goes on net, just trickles down, that is called the save?
Thus making their save percentage better?

Save percentage is very misleading, and it's not a good way to judge goalies. They are one of the hardest positions to compare from a stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad