Friedman: Panthers will try to trade Mark Pysyk

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Tallon got a 3rd round pick for Petrovic, so anything could happen.

I doubt he trades him to anyone in the division. Id suspect that he will be moved to a Western Conference team.

But it was from Peter Chiarelli, that's like putting trading on easy and bragging about how you traded for Crosby and McDavid.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Would prefer to retain 700k to $1 million on Pysyk and get a 3rd round + 4th/5th in off-setting years or mid level prospect.
Feel if we were to go after a LD, it'd be an upgrade like a 2nd pairing D and we add pick and/or prospect.
Otherwise we're just shuffling deck chairs and don't see the benefit for either teams.

Why would anyone give up a second pairing d for Pysyk and a pick though?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Depending on the pick, also stated a pick and/or a pick so that's possibly two pieces + Pysyk.
Wouldn't be a #3 D but more of a #4 like a Faulk type
Faulk just returned a top four shutdown D and a top prospect as a UFA. I don't think the two scenarios are alike.

Reactions: bernmeister

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Faulk just returned a top four shutdown D and a top prospect as a UFA. I don't think the two scenarios are alike.

So a 2nd and a prospect like Heponiemi + Pysyk wouldn't get some GM's attention?
Wasn't comparing Pysyk to Faulk, just saying if we make a move for D, we will add a lot to upgrade the 2nd pairing or it doesn't make sense to move Pysyk (#5/6) for another #5/6.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So a 1st and a prospect like Heponiemi + Pysyk wouldn't get some GM's attention?
Wasn't comparing Pysyk to Faulk, just saying if we make a move for D, we will add a lot to upgrade the 2nd pairing or it doesn't make sense to move Pysyk (#5/6) for another #5/6.
I mean, sure. But it'd be a weird trade. You're comparing Pysyk with Edmundston in that scenario. Pysyk right now is a guy fighting to stay in the league at this point. He is probably a guy a team looking to fill in for an absent player targets. I can't see why a team would trade a better defenseman for him.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I mean, sure. But it'd be a weird trade. You're comparing Pysyk with Edmundston in that scenario. Pysyk right now is a guy fighting to stay in the league at this point. He is probably a guy a team looking to fill in for an absent player targets. I can't see why a team would trade a better defenseman for him.

Pysyk isnt the prize in the deal. The pieces attached are.
Bokk = Heponiemi
Edmundson = 2nd + Pysyk

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Would prefer to retain 700k to $1 million on Pysyk and get a 3rd round + 4th/5th in off-setting years or mid level prospect.
Feel if we were to go after a LD, it'd be an upgrade like a 2nd pairing D and we add pick and/or prospect.
Otherwise we're just shuffling deck chairs and don't see the benefit for either teams.

can't blame you for wanting to add and squeeze higher return for Pysyk.
That said, cap space is a premium, duh.
Not only as to getting some back because it is a scarce resource,
but also as to teams being so tight they can't make a move without sending an another cap hit the other way.

So NY could not take Pysyk on without dumping Smith or other acceptable jettison to someone, and I expect most teams, up vs the cap, are in a similar boat.

always a pleasure, pp

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
can't blame you for wanting to add and squeeze higher return for Pysyk.
That said, cap space is a premium, duh.
Not only as to getting some back because it is a scarce resource,
but also as to teams being so tight they can't make a move without sending an another cap hit the other way.

So NY could not take Pysyk on without dumping Smith or other acceptable jettison to someone, and I expect most teams, up vs the cap, are in a similar boat.

always a pleasure, pp

Totally understand the cap issues, hopefully some team has at least $1.6 million (with us retaining $1million) in space as there's no team that wants Pysyk at $2.73 cap and $3.5 million in actual salary. Time will tell.

Always civil banter with you Bern! :cheers:

Reactions: bernmeister

Pragmatic Panther

Feb 7, 2018
I feel like there is a deal to be had with Winnipeg. Pysyk + 2nd for Big Buff's rights? Obviously would have to shed some cap.….

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I feel like there is a deal to be had with Winnipeg. Pysyk + 2nd for Big Buff's rights? Obviously would have to shed some cap.….
Why would the Jets do that? Why would Florida do it? If Buff comes back, it's to play on a contender close to home, not go to Florida.

If the Jets have an understanding with Buff that he's not coming back in the next 2 months, they can afford to take on Pysyk without clearing any cap.

Pysyk for a 4th

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Totally understand the cap issues, hopefully some team has at least $1.6 million (with us retaining $1million) in space as there's no team that wants Pysyk at $2.73 cap and $3.5 million in actual salary. Time will tell.

Always civil banter with you Bern! :cheers:

fair enough then
let's consider Smith a strong likely no, but outside fallback if you don't get a better offer and you begin to really need that little bit of cap til something else emerges for your books.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
There’s rumours that the Canucks are interested and also that management are down on Stecher. If we were to make this trade, which we shouldn’t, Fantenberg/Stecher would need to go the other way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad