LeBrun: Panthers will consider moving Driedger now that Knight is signed

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
This is a very bad, reckless and flawed idea, what if he struggles and get solved early, you've ruined and killed the guy's confidence because shut up, but since I hate the Panthers, go for it.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Backup goalies who are pending ufas don't have much value. I don't see why they trade him regardless given how Bob has been incredibly inconsistent, and the relatively low net gain of possible return, doesn't make the risk worth it .

Reactions: Patagonia and zeke

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
No way the Panthers throw Knight into the fire straight out of college. That would be stupid for them and unfair to him.

I don't buy the premise at all.

Completely agreed. The premise of the rumor is flawed or maybe FLA's management is crazy. The team is winning, the goalies are performing, you can only lose by bringing Kight in right now : if he puts solid numbers, it won't be valued as much because Drieger already puts these numbers, if he does not, he will lose confidence by being compared to a guy who left and was playing better.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Gotchy: if you value Liljegren more than a first I completely understand!

I was thinking Driedger+Leafs (competitors)=high second; Andersen contract in this environment=2nd. The package would equal a first to me or Liljegren! Definitely made a mistake with Sandin and Liljegren (The Leafs should be like Florida: one good prospect per country ;) Makes life a lot easier)

It would seem as though you haven't even looked at Andersen's contract. He's owed $310,344. Driedger is owed $263,793. Taking on less than $50k in contract, is most certainly not worth a 2nd in any environment.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Hate this idea.
We need playoff wins; Driedger's a goalie UFA - his value is much higher to us as Bob's insurance than whatever assets we could realistically get for him.
Knight needs to prove himself in the AHL before we consider calling him up.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Ekblad going down and if returnable, likely only late in the playoffs is a reason to think they don't plan a making a playoff run. If they think he could race the timeline and be there for at least round 2, maybe stay with the plan, yet also if they get a piece on D for Driedger, that helps

So since Ekblad went down, the Panthers should just forfeit the season? Pretty stupid comment to think they don’t want to make a run because of an injury. They still have one of the top records in the league, and a strong enough team to make a run in the playoffs, more so if Zito wanted to add depth.

Reactions: Necrobutcher

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
It would seem as though you haven't even looked at Andersen's contract. He's owed $310,344. Driedger is owed $263,793. Taking on less than $50k in contract, is most certainly not worth a 2nd in any environment.
Cap hit my friend?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Cap hit my friend?

Completely irrelevant. Leafs apparently are only looking to make a goalie trade, if Andersen isn't likely to be healthy, which puts him on LTIR. That said, Florida's current cap space is $9.159 mil, so it's hardly a concern anyway.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Completely irrelevant. Leafs apparently are only looking to make a goalie trade, if Andersen isn't likely to be healthy, which puts him on LTIR. That said, Florida's current cap space is $9.159 mil, so it's hardly a concern anyway.
Yeah but why would we take the cap hit? It’s compensation for giving space; I guess if the LTIR point is true sure, but the Leafs were looking before for a goalie I think?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I believe he stays unless for a big overpayment. He has a short history and pending UFA and expansion draft eligible. Maybe 2nd or 3rd.

FL is having a fantastic season and doubtful they risk Knight in a backup role during the playoffs.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
RNH + Stalock for Florida's 1st and Driedger? Stalock is insurance until Knight is ready to get in a few games at the end of the year, and RNH can help the Panthers manage Barkov's workload as he returns from injury. He can also move over to LW if needed.

Now:

Huberdeau-Barkov-Verhaeghe
Vatrano-RNH-Connolly
Marchment-Wennberg-Tippett
Luostarinen-Acciari-Lammikko

When fully healthy:

Vatrano-RNH-Hornqvist
Duclair-Wennberg-Tippett
Marchment-Acciari-Connolly
Luostarinen, Lammikko

Reactions: Vinman88

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
RNH + Stalock for Florida's 1st and Driedger? Stalock is insurance until Knight is ready to get in a few games at the end of the year, and RNH can help the Panthers manage Barkov's workload as he returns from injury. He can also move over to LW if needed.

Now:

Vatrano-RNH-Connolly
Marchment-Wennberg-Tippett
Luostarinen-Acciari-Lammikko

When fully healthy:

Vatrano-RNH-Hornqvist
Duclair-Wennberg-Tippett
Marchment-Acciari-Connolly
Luostarinen, Lammikko

Pass. Decent proposal but if we are giving up our 1st we need a d-man not a center.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I have a feeling that any deal involving Driedger at this point in the season has to include a defenseman coming back, otherwise Florida is making at least one more move.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I know he has great numbers but 31 career games, I wouldn't pay a huge price
Eddie Lack 3rd + 7th is similar to Driedger's value I guess?

If that also somehow works out to a 2nd-round pick~ I think that's what Florida should expect him to equate to.

BeersHockey

Jun 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
There is no way they deal this guy before the summer. They role their current tandem for a playoff run and deal him before the expansion draft.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
First the Panthers need to make sure Knight is ready for NHL games before they trade a goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad