Rumor: Panthers to sign KHL d-man Artyom Sergeyev

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Great to see Dale going all in for a Cup run this season. We’re the favorites now for sure after this signing

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Ah yes, another mid 20s defenseman with no NHL experience. Sounds like another Kiselevich, Hultstrom, Haapala, etc, etc. but we’ll see
It's not bad to add those guys per say, as long as you keep your expectations low. If you see them as adding depth, you might get a nice surprise every once in a while. It's when you project Haapala in the top6 that you're in trouble.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I suspect this is going to be a bit unpopular as opinions go, but even though I’m down on MM, I’m still not ready to call him a bust. Maybe I’m being irrationally exuberant, but I think MM has shown glimpses of what he’s capable of, and that is a very good look.

It’s clearly all mental with him. I think it’s all going to suddenly and quite quickly lock into place for him and he can once again play on instinct and muscle memory.... just the right kind finally. I think he’ll excel when games start again.

Yeah I agree. Math is so polarizing, either he looks really good and pretty much dominates match-ups with his superior skating and strength. Or he looks like an idiot.

It's hard to imagine that he would never figure things out. The question of course is when will it happen, if it's five years from now then that doesn't really help. But he has all the tools to be an elite shutdown/two-way guy.

Reactions: Haj and Cold Cat

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Great to see Dale going all in for a Cup run this season. We’re the favorites now for sure after this signing

Ha, I get we're all frustrated, but at least there's an effort being made to improve the D without more inflated contracts or giving up assets. If it's a cheap 1 year deal, there's literally no risk to it. He has experience in NA (Hultstrom, Kiselevich didn't). I don't think either of those guys got a fair shake, by the way. Both just put up solid seasons overseas again as well.

Reactions: harv33173

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
If he’s expected to play, or be our 7th at least (because idk why he’d come over to play in the ahl), then that means he’d be on the 3rd, with Stralman on the 2nd most likely (I heard he’s a righty?). I could understand bringing someone in to play over stillman and let him get more time in the ahl, or for him to be the 7th even though I’m ok with him fulltime on the third pairing, but if he’s not replacing him then playing serg here only makes sense as a 7th over brown.

we have stillman and stralman on the third. Weegar and Ekblad in the top-4. Its a matter of replacing Yandle and matheson with new faces (hopefully). I want DeMelo and Dillon personally if their contracts are within reason.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Where are we getting all this money? Hoff and Dads are ufas too. I really don't think he's here to be the #7. He's here to replace Yandle or Math.

Bag Of Beans

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I don't think Stillman is going back to the AHL. He did a good job up in the show last season. Sure, he had his struggles at times, but for the most part he held his own. He was especially valuable on the PK. Too bad he couldn't find the back of the net before the season ended. He didn't have a couple close calls with scoring though.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I don't think Stillman is going back to the AHL. He did a good job up in the show last season. Sure, he had his struggles at times, but for the most part he held his own. He was especially valuable on the PK. Too bad he couldn't find the back of the net before the season ended. He didn't have a couple close calls with scoring though.

Yeah, no way Stillman doesn't make it out of camp. He's already better than half our defensemen.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Yeah, no way Stillman doesn't make it out of camp. He's already better than half our defensemen.

When he get more calm in his play he can be real good. I mean the calmness like we see on Weegar, in the current Season he sometimes overreacts in some plays. What lead to some badly and dangerous turnovers. But that the usual youth mistakes, that any Team live with it. Better he makes them now and learn from it, that speed alone isnt the answer for everything.
But overall he make some great introducing Year.

Last edited:

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Where are we getting all this money? Hoff and Dads are ufas too. I really don't think he's here to be the #7. He's here to replace Yandle or Math.

The most reports from George and other Insider saying, that Yandle doesnt get buyout. And Matheson was brought up in the trade Windmill once before. I dont like both, Matheson unable to settle his Game and Yandle cant play D he is a 100% Forward.

and i dont expect Sergeyev doesnt cost us more then 1 million a Year, since he would sign an NHL Entry contract, so you can expect a higher signing Bonus then cap hit

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
The most reports from George and other Insider saying, that Yandle doesnt get buyout. And Matheson was brought up in the trade Windmill once before. I dont like both, Matheson unable to settle his Game and Yandle cant play D he is a 100% Forward.

and i dont expect Sergeyev doesnt cost us more then 1 million a Year, since he would sign an NHL Entry contract, so you can expect a higher signing Bonus then cap hit

He's already had an ELC with Tampa. It'll be a standard player contract. Even if he hadn't signed one yet, I think he's too old for an ELC anyway. I agree on $ though, I'm guessing around $1 million as well, maybe a bit more.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
He's already had an ELC with Tampa. It'll be a standard player contract. Even if he hadn't signed one yet, I think he's too old for an ELC anyway. I agree on $ though, I'm guessing around $1 million as well, maybe a bit more.

Yeah he's already signed an elc with Tampa. I think it'll be around 1M too, these KHL imports always seem to sign for cheap. The point though is that we're not gonna keep both Yandle and Math's salaries. I'd bet money on one of them not being here when 20-21 starts.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
It’s good to have depth and I didn’t care for brown in the end. Stillman will be our 6th and having a guy with some khl experience as our 7th. Should be a good depth move.

main priority is clearing matheson and Yandle off the roster and filling those two spots in the offseason. I like demelo and Dillon for ufa’s. Trade could be an avenue to take as well obviously, with Ekblad already on an expensive contract and weegar getting a raise, Stralman making 5.5per, signings two solid free agents like them won’t be cheap. Shouldn’t be insane or anything, but still a solid amount. A trade could help acquire someone who hasn’t hit ufa looking for a raise yet

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Stralman may come back fully healed and be worth every penny of his 5.5.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Stralman may come back fully healed and be worth every penny of his 5.5.

You know I was thinking, if they do resume the season, this may have been the best thing to happen to the Panthers. Barkov got to rest up and hopefully whatever was bothering him was healed now. Same thing with Bobrovsky and his groin. We may see him at an entirely new level. Stralman too. Another huge factor is if Driedger can come back sharp. He was the best goalie in the league when things shut down. If he can, we're looking good for a playoff spot.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
You know I was thinking, if they do resume the season, this may have been the best thing to happen to the Panthers. Barkov got to rest up and hopefully whatever was bothering him was healed now. Same thing with Bobrovsky and his groin. We may see him at an entirely new level. Stralman too. Another huge factor is if Driedger can come back sharp. He was the best goalie in the league when things shut down. If he can, we're looking good for a playoff spot.

I agree to an extent, but other teams will have the same benefit. Some teams directly in competition with us like the Leafs and especially the Canes and Jackets were experiencing some major injury problems.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I agree to an extent, but other teams will have the same benefit. Some teams directly in competition with us like the Leafs and especially the Canes and Jackets were experiencing some major injury problems.

I know, I just think with a healthy Barkov we're better than at least 75% of the other bubble teams.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Any update on this? He can't play until next season anyway, but maybe he'll stay in Russia because of the late start for the NHL next season?

Edit: Just looking through Twitter and it appears as if he is going to stay in the KHL for next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->