Rumor: Panthers to sign KHL d-man Artyom Sergeyev

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
What is the goal here, why is Florida getting 600 dmen, I know Tallon loves Priskie too. All our dmen are here long-term, Yandle is still (imo) productive enough to stay and I cannot see how they move Matheson. Just odd.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
What is the goal here, why is Florida getting 600 dmen, I know Tallon loves Priskie too. All our dmen are here long-term, Yandle is still (imo) productive enough to stay and I cannot see how they move Matheson. Just odd.

I don't think Tallon likes Yandle, plus he has a hefty salary. I think if he can move him, he will.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I don't think Tallon likes Yandle, plus he has a hefty salary. I think if he can move him, he will.

Q doesn't like him either, just look at his usage. He was practically force feeding Math a top four job earlier in the year even though he kept making mistakes. Yandle was stuck on the third pairing after one brief stint with Ekblad.

Reactions: Rahooji

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
The dilemma with moving Yandle is the offensive production...do we have someone internally that can immediately replace that? If you believe Ekblad can take over PP1 duties and still play 22+ mins a night plus PK, then maybe...but that's a hefty ask.

It really is unfortunate that we are where we are with Matheson because had he panned out, he should have been the type of guy to play PP1, but here we are.

I do agree with a lot of comments though about our D depth...Sergeyev, Priskie, Rauhauser, Gildon, Ludvig, Keeper, Djuse, Stillman...you have to think changes on the main roster are coming. Pysyk likely walks as a UFA, one of Weegar/Brown may be gone as RFAs? My guess would be Brown. Hopefully Weegar isn't asking for a huge raise.

I don't see how you sign a 27 year old D from the KHL to play him in the AHL.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
The dilemma with moving Yandle is the offensive production...do we have someone internally that can immediately replace that? If you believe Ekblad can take over PP1 duties and still play 22+ mins a night plus PK, then maybe...but that's a hefty ask.

It really is unfortunate that we are where we are with Matheson because had he panned out, he should have been the type of guy to play PP1, but here we are.

I do agree with a lot of comments though about our D depth...Sergeyev, Priskie, Rauhauser, Gildon, Ludvig, Keeper, Djuse, Stillman...you have to think changes on the main roster are coming. Pysyk likely walks as a UFA, one of Weegar/Brown may be gone as RFAs? My guess would be Brown. Hopefully Weegar isn't asking for a huge raise.

I don't see how you sign a 27 year old D from the KHL to play him in the AHL.

If Ekblad gets #1 PP minutes I doubt you see much of a drop off if any in production. You can then reduce some of his PK duties with a steady, stay home defenseman like this new guy or Stillman. PK duties are fairly simple, you don't need your top guy playing heavy minutes there. Math is a good example of a guy who's been pretty good on the pk when he doesn't have to make many decisions.

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
Ekblad, Stillman, Stralman are the only carry-overs I see into next season. We've loaded up on young offensive defenseman and a few stay at home guys. Hopefully we trade Yandle (I know he has a NMC) and buy out Matheson.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Ekblad, Stillman, Stralman are the only carry-overs I see into next season. We've loaded up on young offensive defenseman and a few stay at home guys. Hopefully we trade Yandle (I know he has a NMC) and buy out Matheson.

If we buy out Matheson, we'll have a cap penalty for 12 years ranging from between $1.3M and $2.7M. I know how inconsistent he is, but I would rather just keep him at that type of penalty.

We already have $3.4 million in dead cap between Darling and Luongo for 20-21, I highly doubt we add another $2.7 to that. That's over $6M for 3 players to not play for us.

Obviously this doesn't factor in any type of compliance buyout...but that's purely speculation at this point.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
giphy.gif

Reactions: Kellyr and 16Skippy

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
You think so? IMO he's significantly better than MM and his contract is also much shorter.

The thing is at least Matheson tries, plus Matheson is almost immovable. Yandle's defensive play is inexcusable for his salary. That money could be put to better use, and the Panthers would actually gain assets instead of losing them, like if they had to move Matheson.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Remember with Matheson: eventually can we park him in the AHL and save the 1.2 mil in cap, which covers a elc defenseman...

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
The thing is at least Matheson tries, plus Matheson is almost immovable. Yandle's defensive play is inexcusable for his salary. That money could be put to better use, and the Panthers would actually gain assets instead of losing them, like if they had to move Matheson.

At least Yandle puts up points.

Reactions: ucanthanzalthetruth

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I'm almost certain they're going to add a compliance buyout.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Ah yes, another mid 20s defenseman with no NHL experience. Sounds like another Kiselevich, Hultstrom, Haapala, etc, etc. but we’ll see

Reactions: Clint

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Convince Yandle to waive, definitely trade him if possible, even if it takes retaining 1 or 1.5mil. Preferably could just throw a pick in there that isn’t a first and not retain anything. It’s only for 3 more years and there’s plenty of teams that would pay his cap that needs more production from the backend.

buying out matheson and having him on the books for 12 freaking years isn’t an option. Retain like 0.875 if needed for the next 6yrs, or trade him with a sweetener and deal with the lose of an asset. Like trading crouse to get rid of bolland. Though I’m not trading tippett or Denisenko

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I suspect this is going to be a bit unpopular as opinions go, but even though I’m down on MM, I’m still not ready to call him a bust. Maybe I’m being irrationally exuberant, but I think MM has shown glimpses of what he’s capable of, and that is a very good look.

It’s clearly all mental with him. I think it’s all going to suddenly and quite quickly lock into place for him and he can once again play on instinct and muscle memory.... just the right kind finally. I think he’ll excel when games start again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad