Panthers to retire Roberto Luongo’s number on March 7th, 2020

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
We sometimes forget that Florida has very little to cheer for. I agree, it's a bit weird having Luongos number retired, but the Panthers need something positive to happen, and this is a great way to boost the morale a bit. :)

And he wears # 1 right? not a very common number so why not. He's hilarious on twitter so that alone deserves it IMO.

ijk

Oct 3, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Maybe, but he shouldn't be. He was never the best goalie in his career, he never won a Vezina, he doesn't have a cup.

Hall of fame should be about the absolute best. It's become a joke. Why should there be tens of players every year going in the Hall? It's ridiculous, but it's what it is.

This is nothing against Luongo personally. I like the guy.

Looking at his numbers, I’m surprised he didn’t win the Vezina in 2003-04. He played over 70 games with a 93.1 sv%. Brodeur won the Vezina that year with a 91.7%.

Florida not making the playoffs must have ruined his chances.

I know he was also a runner up for the Vezina while he was a Canuck, and his career numbers are actually really impressive.

Compare him to a Kiprusoff and you’ll see that he never really had any serious drop-offs, barring one season as the number two goalie in Vancouver and this last year. That is not much when you play that many seasons and games.

I wouldn’t protest if he were to get into the HHOF. On the same note, I’d be inclined to vote Thomas and maybe even Kiprusoff in (his style was just so beautiful).

To me Luongo has just been unlucky with how the Vezinas have gone. But playing over 1000 games with really stellar numbers across the board is something that very few goalies can achieve or have achieved.

Oh, and to me there is nothing surprising in him getting his jersey retired. He is the franchises most prolific player and spent most of his career there. Sure Mellanby or John V (can’t spell his name correctly) may more prolific in some people’s memories, even if only for the cup run or the old jerseys, but Luongo was the franchises main guy in the early 2000’s (really, only Bure and a dozen games of Bertuzzi can contest with this) while after his departure the fans were treated with Olli Jokinen and a Turkey Girl on the side.

So, if you take into account his second long stint with the Panthers in which he was mostly reliable, although Barkov is the top gun, then you will better understand why his number is retired.

And I’m not taking community work into account here (check out his speech after the Florida school shooting to see Roberto’s soft spokenness).

Anyway, congrats Bobby Lu.

Last edited:

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
#1 symbolizes the number of wins Luongo was away from being a Stanley Cup Champion. :p

My first memory of Lu was at the WJC and I was really excited thinking he's the next Patrick Roy (I was a kid).

Too bad he didn't get his cup or vezina.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->