Panthers to retire Roberto Luongo’s number on March 7th, 2020

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I would argue he had two, maybe three truly good seasons for Florida. Low standards perhaps and it is what it is... I simply think Vancouver is the team who would be honoring Luongo had they won the Cup in '11.

I would argue that he was good throughout, other than this past year. I don't even really think the production is relevant in this case. Luo showed great loyalty to the franchise he came back and played hard and that would have gone a long way with a franchise that has struggle for most of its existence. Finally having a star stay and then come back would have been huge. He is a great player on top of that, it's well deserved IMO.

Reactions: JBeast

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
whens the last time a player gets their number retired on a team, but they had a better career with the team who didn't retire their number?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
whens the last time a player gets their number retired on a team, but they had a better career with the team who didn't retire their number?

Not exactly the same since Boston also retired his number but Bourque in Colorado maybe?

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Are you serious or joking?

He's got one Jennings, that's it for personal accomplishments.

He's a good goalie, just not HHof good.

Were you too young to watch him play? Sure his 'stats' aren't there, but he also played on garbage teams for most of his career. He still had amazing talent and stole plenty of games and was always considered a top 5 goalies regardless of his stats. He's like the opposite of Chris Osgood, who has HHoF numbers but is not in because he played on stacked teams and not many people had confidence in him to win on any given night - no matter how stacked the team in front of him. Lou was a goalie where you knew his team would have a chance to win every night, regardless of how absolutely terrible they were. Anyone that watches a lot of hockey knows this, including the members of the actual HHoF selection committee (Legends of Hockey - Induction Showcase - Selection Commitee) several of whom have made statements about Luongo being one of the best in the world.

I think he deserves to be in. He definitely has more talent than some of the members that are already there - the bar is not that high, nor is it based solely on stats. Impact players get the nod, and Luongo was an impact player.

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
Were you too young to watch him play? Sure his 'stats' aren't there, but he also played on garbage teams for most of his career. He still had amazing talent and stole plenty of games and was always considered a top 5 goalies regardless of his stats. He's like the opposite of Chris Osgood, who has HHoF numbers but is not in because he played on stacked teams and not many people had confidence in him to win on any given night - no matter how stacked the team in front of him. Lou was a goalie where you knew his team would have a chance to win every night, regardless of how absolutely terrible they were. Anyone that watches a lot of hockey knows this, including the members of the actual HHoF selection committee (Legends of Hockey - Induction Showcase - Selection Commitee) several of whom have made statements about Luongo being one of the best in the world.

I think he deserves to be in. He definitely has more talent than some of the members that are already there - the bar is not that high, nor is it based solely on stats. Impact players get the nod, and Luongo was an impact player.

No, I'm not too young to have watched him play. I'm 3 years younger than Luongo. :D

I just don't think a goalie with zero Vezinas should get into the HHoF.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
No, I'm not too young to have watched him play. I'm 3 years younger than Luongo. :D

I just don't think a goalie with zero Vezinas should get into the HHoF.

Well luckily number of Vezinas is not the be all and end all. 2nd most games played, 3rd most wins, 9th in SOs, 7th best save %. Id bet good money he is a first ballot HOFer.

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
Well luckily number of Vezinas is not the be all and end all. 2nd most games played, 3rd most wins, 9th in SOs, 7th best save %. Id bet good money he is a first ballot HOFer.

Maybe, but he shouldn't be. He was never the best goalie in his career, he never won a Vezina, he doesn't have a cup.

Hall of fame should be about the absolute best. It's become a joke. Why should there be tens of players every year going in the Hall? It's ridiculous, but it's what it is.

This is nothing against Luongo personally. I like the guy.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Maybe, but he shouldn't be. He was never the best goalie in his career, he never won a Vezina, he doesn't have a cup.

Hall of fame should be about the absolute best. It's become a joke. Why should there be tens of players every year going in the Hall? It's ridiculous, but it's what it is.

Winning the Cup is probably the hardest out of the four major leagues. You cant blame him for those early Panthers years, where the team sucked, but he was a beast in net. He is 3rd in wins, one of three goalies to play over 1000 games, and his stats across the board are some of the best in history. He has more wins, SOs, a better save %, games played than some of the all-time greats, but he doesnt deserve to get in because he doesnt have a ring? Or he wasnt the best goalie in his career? There are so many players in all four major leagues that do not have rings, but undoubtedly deserved to be HOFers.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
No, I'm just saying he was never the top goalie in his career. That's all.

What does that even mean? If that is the case, there should only be one goalie, one Dman, one forward in the HOF, for certain time periods, and that is all. So Jagr shouldnt be a HOFer because Lemieux was better than him?

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
No, I'm just saying he was never the top goalie in his career. That's all.

Guy was tough as nails. I wish half the players in the league had the kind of resolve Lu has and I'm not even a Cats fan. Not his fault his teams were either missing pieces or choked on him. His number deserves to be in the rafters.

Reactions: scholl

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

Luongo is pretty much the only guy in the past couple decades to be truly consistent year to year for pretty much the entirety of his career other than Lundqvist

that's hall of fame worthy in and of itself especially when you consider that he also played to 40

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I would argue he had two, maybe three truly good seasons for Florida. Low standards perhaps and it is what it is... I simply think Vancouver is the team who would be honoring Luongo had they won the Cup in '11.

All of these seasons look good to me part from the last one.

2000-01: 47 GP, .920
2001-02: 58 GP, .915
2002-03: 65 GP, .918
2003-04: 73 GP, .931
2005-06: 75 GP, .914

2014-15: 61 GP, .921
2015-16: 62 GP, .922
2016-17: 40 GP, .915
2017-18: 35 GP, .929
2018-19: 43 GP, .899

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
All of these seasons look good to me part from the last one.

2000-01: 47 GP, .920
2001-02: 58 GP, .915
2002-03: 65 GP, .918
2003-04: 73 GP, .931
2005-06: 75 GP, .914

2014-15: 61 GP, .921
2015-16: 62 GP, .922
2016-17: 40 GP, .915
2017-18: 35 GP, .929
2018-19: 43 GP, .899

.930+ is elite
.920 is very good/above average
.910 is average

In my mind at least.

Number retirement worthy? I think not... but as some have said lower standards to create excitement makes sense.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Luongo is pretty much the only guy in the past couple decades to be truly consistent year to year for pretty much the entirety of his career other than Lundqvist

that's hall of fame worthy in and of itself especially when you consider that he also played to 40

Hall of Fame?! Certainly not.

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver

Yup, over the past 15 years it's basically Lundqvist and Luongo as the best of the lot so both deserve to be in the HOF. Other goalies have had better 1-3 season peaks, but nobody touches their consistently high level of play.

Luongo is 3rd all time in wins.
2nd all time in games played.
7th all time in save percentage (really he's 2nd behind the Dominator as everyone else has 1/2 the games played as he does or less)
9th all time in shutouts
2nd all time in saves.

He's a shoe-in.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->