Panthers to retire Roberto Luongo’s number on March 7th, 2020

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Plays 5 seasons for them and gets his number retired?

Edit: relax, I forgot he played there earlier in his career

Last edited:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Bobby Lou. I remember thinking who tf is this "Luongo" everyone's ranting and raving about, and then seeing his saves and save%t in those early Florida years. He was incredible.
Anybody remember Mike Richards in the morning? Look up when Roberto Luongo calls in.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Good for him! I'm a little surprised his is the first number retired, I would have thought they would at least have retired Mellanby's. But Luongo has been dedicated to that team like no other player really has, so it's a fitting honor.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Good for him! I'm a little surprised his is the first number retired, I would have thought they would at least have retired Mellanby's. But Luongo has been dedicated to that team like no other player really has, so it's a fitting honor.

I was surprised too but I looked at their all time roster and it's not that impressive in terms of skaters (for guys who have retired). Stephen Weiss leader in games played and assists, I think Jokinen leads them in goals and total points.

But well deserved for Luongo.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
That seems odd. If anyone I would have thought it would be Vancouver.

He didn't do much in Florida to have a number retired....

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I know its a newer organization but I feel like the time and accomplishments for a player would be a bit higher for number retirement but if a lot of fans remember him that fondly it's cool and really nice for the player.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

His stats were pretty insane for both of his stints with the Panthers, he was one of the franchises first stars, one of the best goalies of the last 20 and he did a lot in the community in Ft. Lauderdale.

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
Lu is one of my favorite goalies of all time, but still weird to see him get his number retired when he has a losing record for the team.

We sometimes forget that Florida has very little to cheer for. I agree, it's a bit weird having Luongos number retired, but the Panthers need something positive to happen, and this is a great way to boost the morale a bit. :)

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Why not against Calgary on the previous Sunday, the 1st for #1?

Why not verses Vancouver? I mean he is the 1 Panthers player to have his number retired.

Combination of they want to make sure there are enough fans in the building to not have a jersey retirement celebration be a visual disaster from having an empty building, plus with Montreal being his hometown means it will be shown on television in Quebec for his family, plus since it's his hometown, the Montreal fans would be more likely to be extra loud in cheering this celebration on which looks good for the Panthers.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
His stats were pretty insane for both of his stints with the Panthers, he was one of the franchises first stars, one of the best goalies of the last 20 and he did a lot in the community in Ft. Lauderdale.

I would argue he had two, maybe three truly good seasons for Florida. Low standards perhaps and it is what it is... I simply think Vancouver is the team who would be honoring Luongo had they won the Cup in '11.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad