Confirmed with Link: Panthers sign KHL free agent Evgeny Dadonov (3yr x 4M)

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I like it. Maybe slightly above what I expected, I thought in the region of 3.5M. But I assume other teams were in on him as well, so about right in the end I think. I'm thinking he goes on the Tro line, at least to start with. But I guess all that depends on who else is coming in.

How is Dadonov defensivly? I've seen some suggest Vanek-Trocheck-Dadonov, but it feels risky when they don't have the puck. Haven't seen enough of him to comment on that part of his game.

A supposed weakness.

Gaebriel

Jan 17, 2004
DC
So was panarin. I’m willing to take the chance on a 30 goal KHL scorer.

Stop.

Panarin didn't fail out of the NHL on two different teams before going back to the KHL.

The KHL isn't even in the same conversation as the NHL. Throwing around 30 goal scorer is disingenuous like it's so impressive to score 30 goals in a league in which Kevin freaking Dallman wins your Norris trophy multiple times.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I like it. Maybe slightly above what I expected, I thought in the region of 3.5M. But I assume other teams were in on him as well, so about right in the end I think. I'm thinking he goes on the Tro line, at least to start with. But I guess all that depends on who else is coming in.

How is Dadonov defensivly? I've seen some suggest Vanek-Trocheck-Dadonov, but it feels risky when they don't have the puck. Haven't seen enough of him to comment on that part of his game.

He's a good forechecker and backchecker, you will never blame him, he isn't giving 100% to the game. I'd say he is a workhorse with a skill.

As to positional defense, he isn't the best, but ok.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Stop.

Panarin didn't fail out of the NHL on two different teams before going back to the KHL.

The KHL isn't even in the same conversation as the NHL. Throwing around 30 goal scorer is disingenuous like it's so impressive to score 30 goals in a league in which Kevin freaking Dallman wins your Norris trophy multiple times.

I understand what you're saying, but I would also comment that observation of different elements of a player's game in the KHL are necessary to tell whether or not scoring prowess will carry over to the NHL. Early in Dadonov's career, that's why he was drafted in the first place.

How he looks now, I don't know. I am very skeptical, since I've seen him play for us before. But, I suppose it's better than or the same as Jokinen.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

The most stupid argument once again(while even bending the facts. Dallman hasn't won anything of the kind IIRC). You aren't really good at comparing lagues, sir.

A KHL 30 goal scorer might be a 5, 10, 20 or a 45 goal scorer in the NHL. It's not that simple. And the KHL is much more in the same conversation as the NHL than you ever could think.

Dadonov is not the most skilled KHLer, not the top star of the league. That is why FLA gave him that money. He might fit the bill pretty well. Time will tell. But he is not a crapshot pickup from some minor league.

Shonky

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
What line do you guys seeing him play next year? And any idea what he scores if barkov and huber can stay hwalthy?

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
What line do you guys seeing him play next year? And any idea what he scores if barkov and huber can stay hwalthy?

With Huberdeau and Barkov is my guess.

No clue on how many points, but if he can click with them and be effective on the PP, I could see 50-55 points.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
With Huberdeau and Barkov is my guess.

No clue on how many points, but if he can click with them and be effective on the PP, I could see 50-55 points.

50-55 is a good estimate. I believe he'll even exceed that if Huberdeau and Barkov are healthy. It's a big "if" but if Huberdeau plays 82 games, especially after what he was able to do last year coming off the torn Achilles, there's no reason he can't get to 65 pts. Barkov has already shown he's just less than a ppg player, so 70 or even 75 isn't out of the question for an 82 game season from him.

Say Huby is 65 and Barkov is 70...there's no way they don't carry Dadonov with them to at least 55-60 at that point.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
50-55 is a good estimate. I believe he'll even exceed that if Huberdeau and Barkov are healthy. It's a big "if" but if Huberdeau plays 82 games, especially after what he was able to do last year coming off the torn Achilles, there's no reason he can't get to 65 pts. Barkov has already shown he's just less than a ppg player, so 70 or even 75 isn't out of the question for an 82 game season from him.

Say Huby is 65 and Barkov is 70...there's no way they don't carry Dadonov with them to at least 55-60 at that point.

unless he is kyle rau, or insert whoever else from last season.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
unless he is kyle rau, or insert whoever else from last season.

I lost interest for a large portion of last season- don't remember the scenario you're referring to: Did you mean Rau played with Huby-Barkov and still couldn't produce? Genuinely confused by what you mean.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i think he just meant that kyle rau isnt good, where even if he did play with them (he didnt) he still wouldnt be able to produce. dadonov is a lot different from rau though. and no matter who's playing in that spot will rack up secondary assists regardless, so their numbers would kinda be artificially inflated. dadonov should be able to crack 50pt, hopefully closer to 55+ if barkov and huberdeau can remain healthy.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
He is saying Dadonov is just another crap prospect ala Rau, not hard to read in between the lines.

Apparently an outrageous example, makes an alredy disturbing situation, worse.

Par for the course around here.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
He is saying Dadonov is just another crap prospect ala Rau, not hard to read in between the lines.

Apparently an outrageous example, makes an alredy disturbing situation, worse.

Par for the course around here.

Not really, because they are completely different players. Even in Dadonov's first stint here, he showed way more than Rau ever did. Dadonov is 4 years older than Rau and has taken a huge leap in his career by becoming a star scorer in the KHL. Literally what is comparable between Dadanov and Rau as a prospect other than being a 3rd round pick and roughly the same size? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
i think he just meant that kyle rau isnt good, where even if he did play with them (he didnt) he still wouldnt be able to produce. dadonov is a lot different from rau though. and no matter who's playing in that spot will rack up secondary assists regardless, so their numbers would kinda be artificially inflated. dadonov should be able to crack 50pt, hopefully closer to 55+ if barkov and huberdeau can remain healthy.
Rau played like one period with Barkov/Jagr IIRC, it was one of those Rowe games where he vowed to shuffle the line-up and then went back to the old lines by the 2nd period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->