Post-Game Talk: Panthers score two goals but lose 2-1 to NYI in a fluke filled game of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
My argument is that the way stats are recorded for goalies (and other things too) isn’t accurate enough to pass judgment like you (and many others) do. It’s just not scientific, it’s a feel good thing that becomes impressive because people now have “averages” and “standard deviations” and “confidence intervals” to deal with.

But the statistical measures that sound good to people are only as good as the raw data going in. And what my common sense and eye test tells me is that Bob hasn’t been as bad as the numbers imply. I deal with enough statistics to state that with some confidence.

You can make any claims you want - I’m not impressed by your (or your links) analysis. What’s next, you’re gonna call this “settled science” because enough people say so?
Common sense and eye test tell me way too many goals are going in from non prime scoring areas. I don’t need stats to tell me that. That’s literally what’s happening every night on the ice. It doesn’t happen with this much frequency in all the other games I watch. And I watch a ton.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
How does it not make sense? He makes some nice highlight reels a game. Then let’s in garbage from the outside consistently. Something I’ve been complaining about all year. Funny now that I look at the stats it backs up what I see

So you are telling me a goalie that has the ability to make a highlight reel save can't make an easy one? That doesn't make sense to me. In any profession.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
The eye test says Ekblad, Yandle and Malgin giveaways for point blank chances were complete incompetence, but whatever, it's easier to form a narrative that it's all on 1 individual (the goalie) instead of the whole team's loss.

Reactions: KW

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Common sense and eye test tell me way too many goals are going in from non prime scoring areas. I don’t need stats to tell me that. That’s literally what’s happening every night on the ice. It doesn’t happen with this much frequency in all the other games I watch. And I watch a ton.
You the one.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
The eye test says Ekblad, Yandle and Malgin giveaways for point blank chances were complete incompetence, but whatever, it's easier to form a narrative that it's all on 1 individual (the goalie) instead of the whole team's loss.
They eye test also says we had many more grade a chances then them . So what’s your point?

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
It’s easier to form a narrative that our ten million dollar goalie deserves 0 blame

Reactions: I am not exposed

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
They eye test also says we had many more grade a chances then them . So what’s your point?
Not really, lots of weak shots and easy saves for Greiss all night, but I'm sure the Islanders going into defensive mode in the 3rd period to defend their lead will be turned into "the Panthers dominated the 3rd period".

Last edited:

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
He doesn't deserve zero blame, but everyone else sure should be getting their share, which includes the defensemen.
Exactly... and here I thought that people would have learned something from last season’s “it’s all the goalies’ fault” debacle...when it was shown conclusively after the season that there was a lot more to it. Hockey is the fastest team sport, it’s important to get a team system done right. Q is trying, with good success, but some people want to look at stats in isolation and blame goalies.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Exactly... and here I thought that people would have learned something from last season’s “it’s all the goalies’ fault” debacle...when it was shown conclusively after the season that there was a lot more to it. Hockey is the fastest team sport, it’s important to get a team system done right. Q is trying, with good success, but some people want to look at stats in isolation and blame goalies.
He doesn't deserve zero blame, but everyone else sure should be getting their share, which includes the defensemen.
I’m not saying the d can’t be better. It can and will as the season goes on. But our top4 has all made massive improvements. Yandle is starting to play better. People here keep saying bob has been good which is simply not true. He has been below average.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Not really, lots of weak shots and easy saves for Greiss all night, but I'm sure the Islanders going into defensive mode in the 3rd period to defend their lead will be turned into "the Panthers dominated the 3rd period".
The mighty isles sat back to defend a 1 goal lead lmao. U can’t make this up. After getting outplayed and having a 1 goal
Lead they doesn’t deserve they sat back in the third to defend it. What an absolute joke.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Oh so you can only outplay someone if your winning or win? Got it. This is the most pathetic argument I’ve ever heard.
Yes your arguments are pretty pathetic. I find it funny that the biggest anti-advanced stats/pro-#character guy on this board during the computer boys/Rowe era, keeps spouting advanced stats after every single loss for all of Boog's tenure and into Q's tenure. Guess Tallon should go trade Bob and bring back Reimer for that increased Sv% eh Vendetta, what a freaking joke.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Yes your arguments are pretty pathetic. I find it funny that the biggest anti-advanced stats/pro-#character guy on this board during the computer boys/Rowe era, keeps spouting advanced stats after every single loss for all of Boog's tenure and into Q's tenure. Guess Tallon should go trade Bob and bring back Reimer for that increased Sv% eh Vendetta, what a freaking joke.
I wasn’t anti stats. I was anti building a team on solely stats. And no bob is a better goalie that is obvious and I’m sure he will be better. It better get better or we’re screwed. But no he hasn’t been good to start this year. Not by a long shot.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
I wasn’t anti stats. I was anti building a team on solely stats. And no bob is a better goalie that is obvious and I’m sure he will be better. It better get better or we’re screwed. But no he hasn’t been good to start this year. Not by a long shot.
Yeah you were pro build a physical team and used the Edmonton Oilers and their 2nd round playoff success in 2016-17 as the model, well that didn't workout too well the next 2 seasons did it? Oh and I'm pretty sure Edmonton didn't "dismantle" their team either.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Yeah you were pro build a physical team and used the Edmonton Oilers and their 2nd round playoff success in 2016-17 as the model, well that didn't workout too well the next 2 seasons did it? Oh and I'm pretty sure Edmonton didn't "dismantle" their team either.
How how the hell did I say use the oilers a s a model? Nice fabrication. I wanted a couple tweaks to the playoff team we had namely a slight tweak to the blueline or moving out a physical guy for someone with a little more offense back there. But since your not making sense any longer and are moving the goalposts and bringing up irrelevant stuff I’m assuming you’ve had too many pops and it’s past your bedtime.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
How how the hell did I say use the oilers a s a model? Nice fabrication. I wanted a couple tweaks to the playoff team we had namely a slight tweak to the blueline or moving out a physical guy for someone with a little more offense back there. But since your not making sense any longer and are moving the goalposts and bringing up irrelevant stuff I’m assuming you’ve had too many pops and it’s past your bedtime.
Nice try, but I remember you pimping them constantly on these boards, especially Lucic and Kassian, it's ok to be wrong....no one knew they would nosedive. Anyway continue your advanced-stats excuses/blaming.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Nice try, but I remember you pimping them constantly on these boards, especially Lucic and Kassian, it's ok to be wrong....no one knew they would nosedive. Anyway continue your advanced-stats excuses/blaming.
No I said they needed balance. And they did. Just like every team. This team needs a kassian too. What the oilers did was ridiculous so again moving goalposts. Go to bed

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
No I said they needed balance. And they did. Just like every team. This team needs a kassian too. What the oilers did was ridiculous so again moving goalposts. Go to bed
Well we've been lectured for 3 years that we'd be adding a lot more toughness here and we're still waiting. Adding Haley to replace Thornton when Boog arrived wasn't enough. Now with Acciari and Brown it's also still not enough.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Well we've been lectured for 3 years that we'd be adding a lot more toughness here and we're still waiting. Adding Haley to replace Thornton when Boog arrived wasn't enough. Now with Acciari and Brown it's also still not enough.
Functional toughness. And it is enough. Acciari was a great add. We’re. A playoff team this year imo. Especially when bob starts playing to his potential

Reactions: I am not exposed

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Functional toughness. And it is enough. Acciari was a great add. We’re. A playoff team this year imo. Especially when bob starts playing to his potential
Yes Acciari has been amazing and should be a playoff beast. Whether it's functional toughness or non-functional, this team is thin on it, especially when playoff time comes by and more gets let go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad