Post-Game Talk: Panthers score a TD in Detroit, 7-2 W to start a 3 game heater

Can the Panthers get their first 3 game win streak started in Detroit?

• OT/SO needed - flip a coin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Red Wings win by 2 or more

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
IMO, if Bob makes a few good, solid saves the team will respond. If he let's in some softies different game.

Driedger tonight got flat out beat by Ryan's slap shot for the first goal but had not chance on the Duclair tip on the Wings second goal.
Ya dreidger has let ina couple softies the last few games but held fort nicely and stopped after just 1. Handles the shots thru traffic so much better which is what we r prone to give up.

Bag Of Beans

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I just got done watching the game.

• The fourth line got lots of time tonight because of the lopsided score. I thought everyone on the line played very good. Lom missed a total open net that would have been his first career goal. :doh: Oh well, he had a good game otherwise.
  • Judge just played alright. He allowed a pretty soft clear Slap Shot goal from the blue line. Also he had one puck softly bounced out of his glove and hit the post. There was another post early on as well. The second goal scored was clearly off of Duke and in. Good save earlier on the open net. Lucky, but good.
  • I'm not sold on Fors yet. He did nothing to impress me tonight, but I noticed some negative things; like giveaways and icings. If you watch him play when he's in his own end, it's not that much different from Yands. I would almost compare him to a younger Yands, when he sometimes hit people. He's actually pretty soft, but throws the occasional hit.
  • Good to see Horny back on the ice after that hit. If you watch it again, he got hit right at the door of the ice. There would be little give in that spot. That would hurt!
  • I thought everyone else for the most part played well tonight. Early start tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what two teams show up.

Reactions: violaswallet

Fern111

Dec 20, 2015
Just realized that the song played in the arena after the 2nd Panthers goal was White Flag by Bishop Briggs

Looks like Detroit got the memo early this season.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
My son asked me, why is THIS team doing so well? Give me a simple answer without analysis, he said.

So I figured, nothing about being somehow better prepared (players and coaches) or having a great strategy.... I think it’s really just for the first time this TEAM is a team, meaning everyone buys in because everyone MATTERS. It’s not a Barky Hubie Ek only show. It’s everyone.

The only thing to add is that Q and the coaches get tons of credit and Z gets huge kudos for his pickups. I also added that the one player who’s surprised me the most, if I could only pick one, is Horny, TBH. I sort of knew about Verhaeghe and Duke who have both filled in great with Barkov. Maybe Luo gets a thumbs up as a surprise too. But Hornquist is way better than I expected - and I did expect him to be significant.

Bag Of Beans

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
A take I've been mulling on for a few now, that might seem out there to people:

I could see by the end of the year Lammer switches with Starboy.
Both are rookies. Actually Lammer has more experience.

Last edited:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
My son asked me, why is THIS team doing so well? Give me a simple answer without analysis, he said.

So I figured, nothing about being somehow better prepared (players and coaches) or having a great strategy.... I think it’s really just for the first time this TEAM is a team, meaning everyone buys in because everyone MATTERS. It’s not a Barky Hubie Ek only show. It’s everyone.

The only thing to add is that Q and the coaches get tons of credit and Z gets huge kudos for his pickups. I also added that the one player who’s surprised me the most, if I could only pick one, is Horny, TBH. I sort of knew about Verhaeghe and Duke who have both filled in great with Barkov. Maybe Luo gets a thumbs up as a surprise too. But Hornquist is way better than I expected - and I did expect him to be significant.

Yeah, same here. I expected Horny to be good, but he's been excellent. It's possible the trade to a team that wanted his services breathed new life into him.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Habs fan. Come in piece. Quenville’s usuage of Brobrovsky/Driedger reminds me so much of how he used Theodore/Budaj back during the 06/07 season.

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
I also added that the one player who’s surprised me the most, if I could only pick one, is Horny, TBH. I sort of knew about Verhaeghe and Duke who have both filled in great with Barkov. Maybe Luo gets a thumbs up as a surprise too. But Hornquist is way better than I expected - and I did expect him to be significant.

I knew that he will make a difference.
As I wrote maybe a month ago, my neighbour who is an ex-hockeyplayer, told that in his opinion Hörnqvist was the most important player when PIT won the Stanley Cup. He doesn't get noticed by most fans who just follow the biggest names but that players is a winner. He brought a massive amount of winner mentally to Florida. No coach can win games alone. They always need backup from leading players in the locker room to help to create a winning team.

Another and even more important reason is the good start. Barkov has mentioned this issue many times when he said that he hopes that they get a good start for the season to avoid the catch up game. It never happened. Florida played every year badly in fall but this year it changed. They finally got a good start.

Reactions: Cold Cat

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
It's cute how several players talk about playing simple. There is nothing simple about those Huberdeau and Yandle passes, even if they make it look that way.

This Detroit team is in a very different place than last time we faced them. Zero defensive effort, leaving our guys unmarked despite being surrounded by opponents. The way they allowed Vatrano to get a PK breakaway despite starting out with a couple opponents in front of him was just shameful. Even the commentators were done halfway into the first period. This makes me hope that they won't bounce back tonight.

I wonder how long they are going to keep trying to make Mathias Bromé happen. 17 games now with 0 points despite being on the PP1. He has been close to scoring some five goals in the games against the Panthers, but he's more snakebitten than Duclair.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Interesting stat.

Yandle and Ekblad were 2.8-2.9 GVA per game last season. Yandle is almost the same but Ekblad is down to 1.77 this season.

Hinostroza is horrible 2.89 per game in 4 games he's played.

Best among our regulars not surprisinly Hornqvist with 0.79. Lomberg 0.79 and Lammikko 0.62 are very good too. The latter two making right decisions getting the puck deep

Radko Gudas leads the league in hits with 81

Carter and Ekblad lead team with 3 posts

Faceoffs is very worrisome. Barkov is solid 55% , Wennberg, Lammikko around 44% and Luo, Acciari 49%

Reactions: Cold Cat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->