Confirmed with Link: Panthers re-sign goalie Samuel Montembeault to a 1 year 2-way contract

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I bet Buffalo is going to claim him on waivers (we have to waive Monty to send him to Charlotte).

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I'm not sure why anyone would claim him but he's done with the organization anyway with Knight coming over and Bob signed for an eternity.
He's shown promise, the problem is that he's wildly inconsistent and we aren't in a position to give him that much rope to play with. Some other organization, for example Buffalo (before the crazy season I would've put money on Detroit, but they have Ned now), could take a chance on him. Worst case scenario if Monty doesn't work out for them, they put him back on waivers and we can re-claim him for Charlotte. At least there's some potential there compared to a guy like Aaron Dell, who is past 30 and a career backup/3rd stringer.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I'm not sure why anyone would claim him but he's done with the organization anyway with Knight coming over and Bob signed for an eternity.
He's a hidden gem and always puts on a show when given even the slightest bit of help. But of course I'd say that, because I like him for some superficial reason that isn't the way he plays, right?

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
He's a hidden gem and always puts on a show when given even the slightest bit of help. But of course I'd say that, because I like him for some superficial reason that isn't the way he plays, right?

Sure he could be a late bloomer like Markstrom. But that ultimately doesn't matter since there's no way they could keep him with Knight and Bob being locks. Besides Monty is turning 25 in October so it's not like we haven't given him enough time here to prove himself.

Reactions: 5 Hole

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Sure he could be a late bloomer like Markstrom. But that ultimately doesn't matter since there's no way they could keep him with Knight and Bob being locks. Besides Monty is turning 25 in October so it's not like we haven't given him enough time here to prove himself.
He's now 25, 9-8-3 with sporadic starts behind an often embarrassing team. Stats skewed thanks to early pulls on goals that weren't his fault. How much time did he get last year while the team was finally worth something? None. How exactly do you figure we've given him enough time to prove himself?

And yeah Bob's signing was the disappointing end of his chance at a decent career here no matter how good or bad he is.

Last edited:
Reactions: harv33173

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
He's now 25, 9-8-3 with sporadic starts behind an often embarrassing team. How much time did he get last year while the team was finally worth something? None. How exactly do you figure we've given him enough time to prove himself?

And yeah Bob's signing was the disappointing end of his chance at a decent career here no matter how good or bad he is.
What has he done to earn the NHL time? His AHL performance to date has been pretty mediocre; he'll be 25 at the start of the season. Maybe he can turn it around elsewhere, but I don't think it's gonna be with us, though I'm glad we have more goalie depth in him.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
What has he done to earn the NHL time? His AHL performance to date has been pretty mediocre; he'll be 25 at the start of the season. Maybe he can turn it around elsewhere, but I don't think it's gonna be with us, though I'm glad we have more goalie depth in him.
He won 7 of his last 8 starts, was 8-4-1 on the season. Dunno how many you watched but he looked amazing thru most of them. What makes you say he was mediocre?

Reactions: harv33173

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
And so it is to say that he's a "hidden gem"
Yes, Driegs was the hidden gem, Knight is the “living up to expectations so far” gem. Monty is decent but TBH we’re waiting for the real gem part to show up. Maybe Monty can be this season’s Driegs.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Driegs came out of nowhere at the worst time for Sam. Then came Spencer.

Saying Sam is mediocre is silly.
Thanks most to Bob's oh so crappy contract, when Spence was drafted, I wasn't happy considering what it meant towards the advancement of Sam's career as a Panther, but so far he's checked every box on the "he better be worth it" list and then some. Can't remember the last time I paid full price on a jersey as I did the reverse retro 30 LOL

That said, first team that gives Sam a chance will not be sorry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->