Post-Game Talk: Panthers play catchup with Jets but fall short 4-3 in 1st of 4 game home-stand

Who starts? Bob or Monty if you had the decision

• Bob

• Monty

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
I think Saturday is a good chance for a bounceback. First home game after a long road trip always has trap potential. I wonder who will start, should be interesting.

Sick of those "bounce back games"

We only have 6 ROW, it's not enough. Just win and you won't need to bounce back every time.

I have a message for Trotchek:

Good teams don't lose 2 games in a row? Fine. You know what what good teams also do? They can win 3 or 4 in a row...try it and you'll see, it's fun!

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
joker2.png

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Bob played bad last couple games, but he's been fine otherwise. Defense has been better this year, but also leaving some really high scoring chances. Team as a whole has been more offensive-minded and less focused on suppressing chances, they are trying to play d by keeping the puck which I think is a Q thing. He'll bounce back, he just needs a reset. It's why I wanted to start Monty this game instead.

Also, anyone quoting bob's sv% as proof he's been bad this season automatically loses any credibility. He's clearly been better than his sv%, just not as good as we need him to be given the way our team plays.

Reactions: PantherboyHTR

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I'm not even trying to say Bob has been fantastic, but he's been good enough for the most part minus these last two games. Our defense is soft as ****, but no one wants to talk about that.

Meh no one talks about it. I do it this Isles Game. But not Player wise game plan wise or tie up sticks or better don't collapse and block shots.

The last Goal for the Jets are an perfect example for it.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Bob played bad last couple games, but he's been fine otherwise. Defense has been better this year, but also leaving some really high scoring chances. Team as a whole has been more offensive-minded and less focused on suppressing chances, they are trying to play d by keeping the puck which I think is a Q thing. He'll bounce back, he just needs a reset. It's why I wanted to start Monty this game instead.

Also, anyone quoting bob's sv% as proof he's been bad this season automatically loses any credibility. He's clearly been better than his sv%, just not as good as we need him to be given the way our team plays.
Ok but he's not better than his save percentage because that's what his save percentage is....

It's hard to argue against stats and his are the WORST in the league.

He got outplayed by an AHLer last night. Gimme a break people, the defense isn't great but Bob was brought in to curb some of that and he isn't doing any better than Reimer is. Reimer made big saves too and then gave up softies.

Except Reimer made $3.5 million. The defense of Bob in here is nuts. He's been downright pathetic and it's to the point where our beat writers are asking about it and Coach Q mentions it in his post games.

Time to call a spade a spade. The Kool aid is strong with some of you.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Ok but he's not better than his save percentage because that's what his save percentage is....

He got outplayed by an AHLer last night. Gimme a break people, the defense isn't great but Bob was brought in to curb some of that and he isn't doing any better than Reimer is. Reimer made big saves too and then gave up softies.

Except Reimer made $3.5 million. The defense of Bob in here is nuts. He's been downright pathetic and it's to the point where our beat writers are asking about it and Coach Q mentions it in his post games.

The Question about it is, is Bob the first Panther Goalie with Bad stats?
Answer is No, even Lou as future HOF had bad stats.

And now to say it's a Goalie problem, is a bit over the Top.
Most of the Visitors and User are not the first Year here and DEFENSIV is an Panthers all Year Problem.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Bob is making the difficult saves but he's letting in soft goals at the same time. So while at time he looks amazing, at others he looks like a dud. This is not the first time we've had a goalie like this. Vokoun also had a propensity to let in soft goals among amazing saves, just not at the frequency we've seen from Bob so far.

I'm still not worried. We're hanging onto a playoff spot with soft goals, once Bob clicks in we should roll right along.

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011

Yea, Q and beat writers acknowledge Bob's struggles. But have any of them mentioned buying him out, exposing him for the expansion draft or trading him? That's the difference. No one is saying bob is playing lights out. We're just not overreacting. A) It's out of our control B) He has proven he's a great goalie, so it would be logical to expect him to get better.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

It's actually really easy to argue against stats, because they need to be taken in context. Blindly quoting stats is a stupid argument and that was such an ignorant statement. On average, a less than 0.900 sv% is essentially an AHL goalie, but that's ON AVERAGE. The shot quality Bob has faced is above average.

He was bad the last couple games, but if you really think he's been playing like an AHLer for the season, I seriously question your judgement.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Bob is making the difficult saves but he's letting in soft goals at the same time. So while at time he looks amazing, at others he looks like a dud. This is not the first time we've had a goalie like this. Vokoun also had a propensity to let in soft goals among amazing saves, just not at the frequency we've seen from Bob so far.

I'm still not worried. We're hanging onto a playoff spot with soft goals, once Bob clicks in we should roll right along.
I think the Caps game is the only game so far this year of his starts where it was one of those ones where Florida dominated and should have won by like 2 or 3 and lost. Probably had 10-13 of those games last year. Whole team effort was pretty mediocre yesterday.

We only have 6 ROW, it's not enough. Just win and you won't need to bounce back every time.

Good teams don't lose 2 games in a row? Fine. You know what what good teams also do? They can win 3 or 4 in a row...try it and you'll see, it's fun!

I get that but with a win tomorrow Florida is on a 104 point pace, I'm not that concerned.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Too many IF's with this team right now....

I feel like the only way we'll be able to string some wins together and run away with a playoff spot is if Bob gets his shit together. That's a big IF.

It doesn't seem like this team is capable of winning 4,5,6 games in a row which will need to happen.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC

Most of the Visitors and User are not the first Year here and DEFENSIV is an Panthers all Year Problem.

You are wrong here. Luongo never had bad stats actually.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
It's actually really easy to argue against stats, because they need to be taken in context. Blindly quoting stats is a stupid argument and that was such an ignorant statement. On average, a less than 0.900 sv% is essentially an AHL goalie, but that's ON AVERAGE. The shot quality Bob has faced is above average.

He was bad the last couple games, but if you really think he's been playing like an AHLer for the season, I seriously question your judgement.
I suggest you watch a few Hawks game to see what a goalie playing well look like.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
when you call .899 good while better Goales had .910 or better.
Then yes he never had bad stats.

What are you talking about? .889?

You're talking about last year stats?

You're talking about a 39 years Luongo who played probably injuried all season?

Last year Luongo's stats are irrelevant.

It's like saying that even a player like Jarg can go on a cold streak because he only scored 1 goal in 22 games in his last NHL season.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
I think the Caps game is the only game so far this year of his starts where it was one of those ones where Florida dominated and should have won by like 2 or 3 and lost. Probably had 10-13 of those games last year. Whole team effort was pretty mediocre yesterday.

We don't need to look at individual games, Bob has been letting in softies all year. I don't think he's necessarily "lost" us any games, I'm merely looking at his body of work so far this year. He's made brilliant saves and let in bad goals, they are not mutually exclusive. He needs to be more consistent and I'm confident he will.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee

Luongo's numbers in 2017-18: 2.47 GAA, .929 Save % with an 18-11-2 record behind Yandle, Ekblad, Matheson, Petrovic, Weegar AND Pysyk, which is pretty clearly a worse defensive lineup than what we have today as we've upgraded from Petro to Strahlman and others have gained experience.

Last year's numbers are irrelevant, Luongo was 39 and as mentioned, playing hurt. Even his numbers in 2016-17 were decent (2.68 GAA and .915 Save %), and that's playing behind the likes of Jakub Kindl.

If you're an elite goalie, you get elite numbers regardless of who's in front of you. From 2000 to 2006 when the Panthers were arguably at their worst in franchise history, Bobby Lou never had a save % below .914 for a season. You're telling me those teams had better defense than this current team? You think Lukas Krajicek, Lance Ward, Brad Ference, Paul Laus, Robert Svehla and Darren Van Impe are better than Aaron Ekblad, McKenzie Weegar, Mike Matheson, Anton Strahlman, Keith Yandle and Mark Pysyk?

I know nobody can answer that question with a "yes" without immediately laughing at the joke. if you can sit there with a straight face and tell me Bobrovsky would put up better numbers with the 2003 defensive core than he would with our current team then we are done here because nothing will pull your head out of the hole you've dug.

I never said he was an AHL goalie, just that he was outplayed by one.

I don't "blindly" quote stats, I watch every game. Bob makes big saves, EVERY f***ING GOALIE DOES, that's LITERALLY THEIR JOB. Make BIG saves. Some goals are defensive breakdowns, they happen, but some goals are a result of piss poor play from the goalie.

And it's been much more of the latter lately with Bob. His numbers aren't an isolation of 4 games, he's played a quarter of the season and has the worst stats of any starter in the NHL. How you're able to spin that into excuses that the defense is solely to blame is just pure insanity to me.

Again, I stress this, the defense is not good. I've pointed out in other threads the awful puck watching, the breakdowns, all of it. They are not great right now, but last night they played better than usual and Bob couldn't hang in there for them. He hasn't stolen a single game this year and hasn't shown an OUNCE of his value yet if I'm being honest.

ALL goalies make big saves. That's what differentiates and NHL goalie from an AHL goalie. But right now Bob isn't making routine saves and that's a problem. 4 goals a game is a problem, no matter what. No matter how you frame it, it is a massive concern.

Even Freddie Andersen in Toronto behind that atrocious Toronto system and defense has a .912 Save % and a 2.72 GAA.

I don't know how many more facts to put right in front of some of you to keep ignoring. I will stop soon though, definition of insanity and all that....

Bag Of Beans

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I would have Monty start.

I was looking at some of Bob's stats and game logs from last year, and the last game of the regular season for him he played the Rangers and had a good game. Also, two seasons ago he had a shutout against the Rangers.
Give him an extra day to unwind back home and get settled in and figure out a few things.
Monty played a good last game, so ride the hot hand (as much as I'm about getting back on the horse and getting to it. )

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg

If we win 2 games of 3 we'll be in a good spot, and no need to win 3 in a row

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Luongo's numbers in 2017-18: 2.47 GAA, .929 Save % with an 18-11-2 record behind Yandle, Ekblad, Matheson, Petrovic, Weegar AND Pysyk, which is pretty clearly a worse defensive lineup than what we have today as we've upgraded from Petro to Strahlman and others have gained experience.

Last year's numbers are irrelevant, Luongo was 39 and as mentioned, playing hurt. Even his numbers in 2016-17 were decent (2.68 GAA and .915 Save %), and that's playing behind the likes of Jakub Kindl.

If you're an elite goalie, you get elite numbers regardless of who's in front of you. From 2000 to 2006 when the Panthers were arguably at their worst in franchise history, Bobby Lou never had a save % below .914 for a season. You're telling me those teams had better defense than this current team? You think Lukas Krajicek, Lance Ward, Brad Ference, Paul Laus, Robert Svehla and Darren Van Impe are better than Aaron Ekblad, McKenzie Weegar, Mike Matheson, Anton Strahlman, Keith Yandle and Mark Pysyk?

I know nobody can answer that question with a "yes" without immediately laughing at the joke. if you can sit there with a straight face and tell me Bobrovsky would put up better numbers with the 2003 defensive core than he would with our current team then we are done here because nothing will pull your head out of the hole you've dug.

I don't "blindly" quote stats, I watch every game. Bob makes big saves, EVERY ****ING GOALIE DOES, that's LITERALLY THEIR JOB. Make BIG saves. Some goals are defensive breakdowns, they happen, but some goals are a result of piss poor play from the goalie.

And it's been much more of the latter lately with Bob. His numbers aren't an isolation of 4 games, he's played a quarter of the season and has the worst stats of any starter in the NHL. How you're able to spin that into excuses that the defense is solely to blame is just pure insanity to me.

Again, I stress this, the defense is not good. I've pointed out in other threads the awful puck watching, the breakdowns, all of it. They are not great right now, but last night they played better than usual and Bob couldn't hang in there for them. He hasn't stolen a single game this year and hasn't shown an OUNCE of his value yet if I'm being honest.

ALL goalies make big saves. That's what differentiates and NHL goalie from an AHL goalie. But right now Bob isn't making routine saves and that's a problem. 4 goals a game is a problem, no matter what. No matter how you frame it, it is a massive concern.

Even Freddie Andersen in Toronto behind that atrocious Toronto system and defense has a .912 Save % and a 2.72 GAA.

I don't know how many more facts to put right in front of some of you to keep ignoring. I will stop soon though, definition of insanity and all that....
Good post, the only thing I would say is I think Lu's Sv% back in 2000-2006 teams, would often times be inflated by the high amount of SOG we always allowed per game (not all high danger), bigger pads and his own poor rebound control would help that stat tremendously. Regardless your point is 100% correct about Lu always having good stats.

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

MillarWithASave

#CatsAreComing
Dec 12, 2011
Melbourne, FL

I don't "blindly" quote stats, I watch every game. Bob makes big saves, EVERY ****ING GOALIE DOES, that's LITERALLY THEIR JOB. Make BIG saves. Some goals are defensive breakdowns, they happen, but some goals are a result of piss poor play from the goalie.

One of the best posts I've seen regarding this. Tomas Vokoun, even Scott Clemmensen put up better numbers than Bob with much worse teams in front of them. Bob's start has been nothing short of abysmal, and he has lost multiple games for us this year. We all know how valuable each and every win is, especially with the Panthers. We are bottom of the league in ROW and if it stays like that we are going to end up in another situation like 2 years ago.

We have scored the second most goals in the NHL, it's not like we are in the same situation as last year where we are playing pity 1-0, 2-1 games every game, we are constantly coming back from deficits. Yet we have let up 71 goals, 2nd most in the entire league behind Detroit. It's just embarrassing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->