Post-Game Talk: Panthers outlast the Flames in a 3-2 SO win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I agree, we very rarely create high danger chances in the slot. Everything is either a quick transition or cycle game resulting in a hopeful point shot (like Pysyk for example banking it off Dadonov).

Spray 'n pray isn't inherently bad strategy but it just doesn't work against defensively well structured teams and it does takes both mental and physical toll when the shots aren't going in, like it's going to feel like a beer league team trying to luck their asses to the 2pts. Tampa, for an instance, is a very good limiting the passes to an absolute minimum before you need to challenge the goalie from a high danger area.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Watching us play right now is like the mid 2000's NJ Devils. What a snooze fest.

Everytime I show up at the arena it is depressing. It is 70% empty and the 30% that is full is lifeless.

Funny you mention this because last night, while I was actually watching the game from my couch, a friend sent me a text suggesting we catch a game at BB&T together soon. I've never in my life turned down a chance to go to a live hockey game but I realized that the last few games I've attended in Sunrise just haven't been fun. They're empty, quiet, boring affairs and we usually lose.

I told my friend that I'm not driving to the Everglades an hour out of my way to watch us play a boring brand of hockey in an empty building and lose again. I'd rather just do a happy hour somewhere.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
I haven't decided if it's a good thing that we won or not. We're not out mathematically but I don't know if we have a 12 game win streak in us.

Size doesn't mean much when you're softer than a jelly donut

That's what she said.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Did Vinny yell Boo! as he head faked Smith on the shootout goal? Smith musta been getting ready to punch him and forgot all about stopping the puck... He looked like a frozen chump.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Tampa is going one way and we’re going another. Lest we forget Tampa won the cup in ‘04, sucked bad, drafted high end talent then decided to hire a great GM and a good coach. This is the cycle that creates cup runs and eventually cups. Floridas mediocrity is bearing it’s fruits now in combination of poor drafting, poor development and poor coaching. We’ve had just enough talent to keep us on the bubble and unless you have a stellar development program, drafting in the mid-teens isn’t a recipe for success. In the salary cap era, it honestly pays to "tank" when there’s a good draft class and get cheap high ceiling talent that way. It’s very unfortunate and quite frankly a dumb way of thinking but it’s proven to work as long as you have the FO, development and coaching to finish the job.

I actually disagree because we have a lot of high draft picks, but either draft poorly or draft in a year without high end talent.

Just think of all the top 5 picks we've made.

Ekblad
Barkov
Huber
Guds
Bouw
Weiss
Horton
Jovo
Nieds

That's nine top 5 picks for a team that's been around for only 25 years.... That's a lot actually. Doesn't even include the 1st we traded for kozlov that ended up being lecavlier.

Our best first round pick has been barkov. Now I love barky, he's great, but he's not a generational talent or even super star level. The only players we've had that can be considered super stars in their prime are probably bure and luongo. Neither we're drafted and wasted here.

So it's really just piss poor management and ownership combined with some really bad luck. No team with this many top picks should be as bad as we are.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
So it's really just piss poor management and ownership combined with some really bad luck. No team with this many top picks should be as bad as we are.

EDM says "hold my beer"

10 of their last 11 1st round picks have been 10th or better and of those 10 picks, 4 of them 1st overall.
a 3rd, 4th and 6th OV in there as well.

FLA drafts: (Tallon era)
2010 was the worst for amount of picks we had to not find a longterm cornerstone piece. Guds, Bjugstad, Petrovic, Howden, McFarland, Brickley, Brittain, Gallacher. Funny that Donskoi in the 4th and Hyman in the 5th are two of the better players out of that draft. Guds and Bjugstad have now played over 400 games each but I'd say Guds was the bigger disappointment between the two.

2011 was Huberdeau and Trocheck but the rest was meh
2012 was Matheson, other 4 have disappeared. (only had 5 picks, no 2nd round pick)
2013 was Barkov, McCoshen who may be a #5/6 for a couple years, Brown in the 6th, Weegar in the 7th round
2014 was Ekblad, Hawryluk, Lammikko and the other 3 are gone I'm pretty sure.

2015 was Crouse, Montembeault in 3rd, Schemitsch in 3rd (2nd AHL year), Malgin in the 4th and Bednard in 7th
2016 was Borgstrom, Mascherin (15g/29pts in 48 AHL games), Ang, Stillman, Mamin
2017 was Tippett, Heponiemi, Gildon, Inamoto and Repo (only had 5 picks)
And 2018 we already have Denisenko and Noel.

I think that 2017 draft group is going to be really good. Got a good chance of 3-4 NHL players there

The early drafts were pretty shaky but we found 3-4 cornerstone pieces in those first 4 years. Outside the 2015 Crouse blunder, we've been pretty good, they just haven't fully developed yet. I know it's been nearly a decade but we had to basically build up the entire core through being horrible for a long time. COL is just getting going, CGY as well. EDM and WPG have been slow builds. TOR, the richest franchise in the league are just now starting to see playoff hockey in nearly a decade.

Last edited:

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
There's really no creativity in their play, it's just attempts to play fast north-south game but only like four, five guys can pull it off and they don't try to get towards the net from the board play, just floating in the perimeter which results into some blind pass to nowhere. I'd reckon that if they don't go big in the next off season, those attendance figures will sink into lower digits.
Just watched my first AHL game tonight. Lots of chances in the offensive end but seems as if the coaching philosophy from the Panthers has trickled down there as well. Boring offense that is totally predictable to watch. Change in coaching and a new GM might help the quality of the team in Springfield.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
EDM says "hold my beer"

10 of their last 11 1st round picks have been 10th or better and of those 10 picks, 4 of them 1st overall.

2010 was the worst for amount of picks we had to not find a longterm cornerstone piece. Guds, Bjugstad, Petrovic, Howden, McFarland, Brickley, Brittain, Gallacher. Funny that Donskoi in the 4th and Hyman in the 5th are two of the better players out of that draft. Guds and Bjugstad have now played over 400 games each but I'd say Guds was the bigger disappointment between the two.

2012 was Matheson, other 4 have disappeared. (only had 5 picks, no 2nd round pick)
2013 was Barkov, McCoshen who may be a #5/6 for a couple years, Brown in the 6th, Weegar in the 7th round

2015 was Crouse, Montembeault in 3rd, Schemitsch in 3rd (2nd AHL year), Malgin in the 4th and Bednard in 7th

I think that 2017 draft group is going to be really good. Got a good chance of 3-4 NHL players there

The early drafts were pretty shaky but we found 3-4 cornerstone pieces in those first 4 years. Outside the 2015 Crouse blunder, we've been pretty good, they just haven't fully developed yet. I know it's been nearly a decade but we had to basically build up the entire core through being horrible for a long time. COL is just getting going, CGY as well. EDM and WPG have been slow builds. TOR, the richest franchise in the league are just now starting to see playoff hockey in nearly a decade.

lol ok that is true...Edmonton has been pretty horrible. But if the only other franchise in the NHL that could be just as dysfunctional as us is the only other comparable....that's probably not a good thing. Plus, Taylor Hall is looking pretty good, just mis-managed in Edmonton. RNH is pretty good as a two-way forward. Drai isn't bad. And obviously McDavid. Those are pretty good picks, they were just mis-managed...

I think our drafts are trending in the right direction for sure, especially 2017 and 2018 look to be good. Getting rid of Luce seems to have helped. I think we're in a much better shape than at any other time in our franchise. I just hate that I'm saying that while we're still on the the outside looking in. Easy to have patience when there has at least been some success to fall back on, but 96 was a long time ago...

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
lol ok that is true...Edmonton has been pretty horrible. But if the only other franchise in the NHL that could be just as dysfunctional as us is the only other comparable....that's probably not a good thing. Plus, Taylor Hall is looking pretty good, just mis-managed in Edmonton. RNH is pretty good as a two-way forward. Drai isn't bad. And obviously McDavid. Those are pretty good picks, they were just mis-managed...

I think our drafts are trending in the right direction for sure, especially 2017 and 2018 look to be good. Getting rid of Luce seems to have helped. I think we're in a much better shape than at any other time in our franchise. I just hate that I'm saying that while we're still on the the outside looking in. Easy to have patience when there has at least been some success to fall back on, but 96 was a long time ago...

Add BUF and ARI too the list as well. They haven't done much in the last decade. ANA's decade of fun is now over and going through re-tools along with LA, CHI and DET. The Atlantic division should be the toughest group for the next little while. WSH and PIT will take steps back in another 2-3 years once their main guys hit 34-36 years old. Our time is coming, Tallon just has to make sure to get the right pieces this year. No excuse to not ice/have a playoff team for the next 4-5 years.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
EDM says "hold my beer"

Yes people
Don’t understand how
Long it truly takes when u rebuild the entire organization. 5 years isn’t reasonable even tho tallon actually did it. Considering it takes 5 years to become a decent nhler on average and only 2-3 players per draft. The drafts lately are looking better but some of them will fade out like always

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Add BUF and ARI too the list as well. They haven't done much in the last decade. ANA's decade of fun is now over and going through re-tools along with LA, CHI and DET. The Atlantic division should be the toughest group for the next little while. WSH and PIT will take steps back in another 2-3 years once their main guys hit 34-36 years old. Our time is coming, Tallon just has to make sure to get the right pieces this year. No excuse to not ice/have a playoff team for the next 4-5 years.

Yeah I agree, I just look at that list of teams you mention and see that they've all had their fun at least some time within the last 20 years except for Arizona. Through a combination of bad luck and bad management, we just haven't had our turn yet. Over a 25-year period we should have had 2 "cycles" of success, but basically have zero. That's why this season was such a let down because most thought that finally it was our turn, but nope, wait another season at least. Hopefully...we finally get our turn starting next season.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad