Panthers loaned Weiss and Bouwmeester for up to $250,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Last week the Globe and Mail reported the Panthers are having financial problems but this is ridiculous.The Panthers received $50,000 for loaning Stephen Weiss and Jay Bouwmeester to Chicago.Florida will receive $50,000 for every playoff round won by Chicago

Keenan said he wanted Weiss and Bouwmeester to get playoff experience as pros. The Rampage were 11 points out of the final playoff spot in the West Division but had a quarter of the season left. What Keenan didn't say is the Wolves, 5-0 since the deal, reportedly paid Florida $50,000 for the duo and will fork over another $50,000 for each playoff round they win, an AHL source said.

But what about San Antonio fans, especially season ticket holders? Can they get 25 percent of their money back? The Rampage have 11 of their final 15 postloan games at home after being away for 12 games because a rodeo was in town

http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey/hc-ahlcol0318.artmar18,0,5720214.story?coll=hc-headlines-hockey

Florida could make $250,000 if Chicago wins the Calder Cup

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
San Antonio's owners must be outraged by this, unless of course the Panthers are splitting the booty with them...

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
The AHL executives should have vetoed the trade because it's a direct jab to the integrity of the season.

Reminds me of junior deadline

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
chiavsfan said:
Loans are not uncommon in the AHL, when it comes down to it, it's a developmental league, and your players will develop more in a playoff series than during a regular season on a losing team. Loans happen all the time in the AHL

I just think it's unethical that's all.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
chiavsfan said:
Loans are not uncommon in the AHL, when it comes down to it, it's a developmental league, and your players will develop more in a playoff series than during a regular season on a losing team. Loans happen all the time in the AHL

No one is saying the loans are uncommon but is the idea to develop the players or to make $250,000.Keenan should have contacted the Phantoms and Wolfpack to see if he could get $300,000 or $400,000 or $500,000 for Weiss and Bouwmeester

If the Wolfpack were loaned Weiss and Bouwmeester for a sum up to $250,000,this board would shutdown with all of the traffic with a message telling you to contact the site administration :)

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Russian Fan said:
The AHL executives should have vetoed the trade because it's a direct jab to the integrity of the season.

Reminds me of junior deadline

Junior trade deadline is indeed like this, but with the caveat that the team getting the bounty of players usually has to mortgage its future. The Acadie-Bathurst Titan in the QMJHL have pulled this load-up-at-the-deadline trick a few times now, and once got fined by the league for it, IIRC. They went back to the well once too often, however, as for the last couple of years the Titan have been absolutely brutal due to the constant trading all of their prospects and picks.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
Florida Panthers to do list:

1. Trade players for money
2. When that still doesn't work for us financially: fold
3. If 2 is not a valid option: become the 33rd AHL Team.

Rahan

May 27, 2003
Chicoutimi
Visit site
I hope this will be ruled illegal.

I remember my Chicoutimi Sagueneens being sanctionned really hard and we're just getting back on the right track after a similar story, where the owner "sold" our best players to another team..

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
I don't really see what difference getting paid for it makes. It's smart of Florida to make some money off it.

But yeah, if I was commish of the AHL, I'd never allow it.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Russian Fan said:
I just think it's unethical that's all.

And you're not the only one... I find this ridiculous.

Developmental league or not, it's still a professional league, usually the 2nd best league in North America, the best one right now and arguably a top 3 league in the world at the very moment. Ridiculous imo.

CoolburnIsGone

Larionov said:
San Antonio's owners must be outraged by this, unless of course the Panthers are splitting the booty with them...
With San Antonio Rampage, the Panthers and their owners actually own half of them. The other half is owned by the San Antonio Spurs. The people that are most outraged by this is the San Antonio fans (and rightfully so). The fans even started a thread on their official boards discussing whether or not the Spurs could buyout the Panthers share of the team so that they could have another affiliation (I believe they are now hoping for the Avs since Hershey and Colorado will end their relationship after this yr).

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Believe it or not, it was the Chicago Wolves that approached Keenan to acquire Weiss and Bouwmeester, not the other way around. The Wolves wanted a chance to put their "best foot forward" and the Atlanta Thrashers weren't too keen with the idea of bringing in two prospects from an NHL rival to take the spots of their prospects....but Atlanta believes the best way to develope their prospects is in a winning environment and also understood what winning meant for the Wolves franchise, so they agreed to allow the deal to go through. I'm betting the money part was the Wolves' idea of convincing Keenan to let go of Weiss and Bouwmeester.

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
From a Thrashers' perspective, I think this highlights one of the problems with not owning your own AHL affiliate.

The Thrashers have several prospects that get bumped by this move. Sure the Wolves pick up two NHL quality players but they were doing well before these guys. Now, two ATL prospects sit while division rivals FLA get seasoning for two of their future building blocks on an ATL affiliate--at the expense of ATL's prospects. Plus Chicago paid for the guys.

If I am a San Antonio fan I am pissed. If I am an ATL fan I am pissed. If I am a FLA or CHI Wolves fan this makes too much sense to pass up. This decision was made by them.

I would not be surprised if Atlanta ends it's affiliation with Chicago soon.

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I understand your reasoning but it does help our prospects in that, in theory, the Wolves should have a better chance now of advancing deeper into the Calder Cup playoffs, giving our prospects more high-pressure playoff experience.

Taxman

Dec 9, 2003
Visit site
The Chicago Wolves are on a 6 game win streak right now and are 12-0-1-0 in their last 13 games. :) Lehtonen is on a personal career best 11 game winning streak.

Bulldog fan

Timmy Dogs Alum 1999
Nov 5, 2004
101York Bld Hamilton
Taxman said:
The Chicago Wolves are on a 6 game win streak right now and are 12-0-1-0 in their last 13 games. :) Lehtonen is on a personal career best 11 game winning streak.
...and if all goes according to their plan, Dave Andrews will be "loaning" them the Calder Cup sometime in June. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->