Pre-Game Talk: Panthers @ Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Simple then, if you are getting value, don't trade him, Shirley.

There is your catch 22.

Leafs and Kessel are struggling so management wants to make trades to improve the team.

However because of Kessel's struggles the offers decline and you're now force to keep him until you can get better a return as good asset management.

The solution is to hope Kessel's play improves and then the offers improve. Welcome to my world as to what I meant with my original post hoping the Leafs can get the best return for a player they are prepared to trade as part of the rebuild.

Kessel's play basically makes it essentially like him having a No Movement clause contract for all intents and purposes in that respect of both sides involved of both buyers and sellers. If Kessel wants to remain a Leaf then he should just keep doing what he has in the past 25 games.

If Kessel snipes a couple beauties tonight against the team that reported to have interest then Tallon's interest is peaked. :)

leafstilldeath*

Not sure where to post this so posting here.

Lets say hypothetically Bozo or Dion are traded. Do their limited NTCs stay with the new teams or the NTCs are voided?

Just asking this as this may have trade implications.

leafstilldeath*

There is your catch 22.

Leafs and Kessel are struggling so management wants to make trades to improve the team.

However because of Kessel's struggles the offers decline and you're now force to keep him until you can get better a return as good asset management.

The solution is to hope Kessel's play improves and then the offers improve. Welcome to my world as to what I meant with my original post hoping the Leafs can get the best return for a player they are prepared to trade as part of the rebuild.

Kessel's play basically makes it essentially like him having a No Movement clause contract for all intents and purposes in that respect of both sides involved of both buyers and sellers. If Kessel wants to remain a Leaf then he should just keep doing what he has in the past 25 games.

If Kessel snipes a couple beauties tonight against the team that reported to have interest then Tallon's interest is peaked. :)

I pretty much gurantee that any trafe involving Kessel at the trade deadline will end up us getting the shortend of the stick.

Better to trade Kessel in the off season or early next season

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Lets say hypothetically Bozo or Dion are traded. Do their limited NTCs stay with the new teams or the NTCs are voided?

Great question.

I've asked this for years & haven't really found an answer.

My guess is that once the clause is waived it becomes void & cannot be used again.

It is, after all, an agreement between a player and team that negotiated that contract - why should a team up-river be expected to honour an agreement they never signed off on?

Additionally though - if a deal is made that honours the NTC (list of teams), and the player is never asked to waive but simply moved to a team that isn't on a list, then is the clause even used / waived?

It's complicated and it's just full speculation

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

The contract follows the player, the NTC is in the contract, therefore the NTC follows them.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Will be nice to see Kessel light up these kittens and show them how much value he has. The underrating he is getting in the trade thread is simply disgusting and its mostly do to that Tallon rumour of not willing to part with his young players for him.

I hope Kessel destroys them tonight :yo:

buttman*

There is your catch 22.

Kessel has enough of a resume, including the Olympics that the last month is not going to change his value significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad