GDT: Panthers@Leafs 7:30 PM SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
DZX7jOfW0AEfoC4.jpg:large

Wednesday game preview: Florida Panthers at Toronto Maple Leafs

Former Leaf James Reimer is 5-0 in March, with two shutouts.

Wednesday game preview: Florida Panthers at Toronto Maple Leafs | Toronto Star

barkov.jpg.size-custom-crop.1086x0.jpg

Florida’s Aleksander Barkov has been one of the NHL’s top scorers of late, with 27 points in his last 21 games. (Mike Ehrmann / GETTY IMAGES)

Tues., March 27, 2018

AIR CANADA CENTRE
FACEOFF:
7:30 p.m.
TV: Sportsnet
RADIO: Sportsnet 590 The FAN
KEY PLAYERS
Barkov vs. Marner
The Panthers’ Aleksander Barkov is fourth in NHL scoring since Feb. 14, with eight goals and 19 assists in 21 games. Mitch Marner is the hottest Leaf, with points (three goals, nine assists) in nine consecutive games. He is the eighth skater in the NHL to have an assist streak of at least eight games this season.
NEED TO KNOW
Former Leafs goaltender James Reimer posted a shutout against the Islanders on Monday as Florida improved to 13-3-1 in its past 17 games. It was the Panther’s fourth shutout over the last three weeks. Reimer, with two of them, has allowed just five goals in his five starts this month, all wins … Florida entered Tuesday one point back of New Jersey for the final wild-card spot in the Eastern Conference. The Panthers were 10 points out of the playoff picture on Jan. 30, and have not occupied a post-season position since Oct. 12, three games into their season … This game is the second game of a four-game road trip for the Panthers … Florida defenceman Keith Yandle, the league ironman, has played 707 straight games; fellow defenceman Aaron Ekblad has tied a career high with 15 goals.
UP NEXT
Friday, at N.Y. Islanders, 7 p.m.

Game Day: Panthers at Maple Leafs
Lance HornbyMore from Lance Hornby

Game Day: Panthers at Maple Leafs

FLORIDA PANTHERS AT TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS
Wednesday, 7:30 p.m., Air Canada Centre
TV: Sportsnet; RADIO: 590 AM
THE BIG MATCHUP
G Frederik Andersen vs. G James Reimer

The new Maple Leafs goalie vs. the old one, though there’s a chance warhorse Roberto Luongo comes back from an upper-body injury to resume control of his team’s playoff fate. Reimer, with the same late-season heroics he showed with Toronto in his first full year, is on a roll and had a shutout Monday over the Islanders as the Panthers began a four-game road trip. Andersen will take a second try at a career high 36 wins after losing 3-2 to Buffalo.
FIVE KEYS TO THE GAME
PLAYOFF DESPERATION
The Leafs, with their spot almost secured, have taken their foot off the pedal at times in the past two home games. The Panthers can’t afford such luxury, as their admirable run continues, 10 wins and counting this month, closing within a point of New Jersey before Tuesday night for the last wild-card spot. Beating Florida in regulation lowers Toronto’s magic number to clinch a spot significantly.
CLOSE CALLS
The three games in the season series thus far between the clubs have been incredibly tight, low-scoring one-goal decisions including Florida wins by shootout and overtime. Andersen had a 1-0 shutout in the last ACC contest.
SHORT STORY
With 10 short-handed goals, the Panthers have the potential to turn the tables on a hot Leafs power play. Aleksander Barkov and Vincent Trocheck have combined for nine short-handed points this season.
FOURTH AND GOAL
While Toronto’s quick-footed fourth line has been generating many offensive chances of late, winger Andreas Johnsson would like to cash in some, not to mention centre Tomas Plekanec itching to get his first Leafs point since the trade with Montreal a month ago.
TENACIOUS D
The Leafs and Panthers rank in the NHL’s top 10 and takeaways and faceoff winning percentage, an area the Leafs must keep improving upon to have any chance of an elongated run in April.
MAPLE LEAFS GAME DAY LINES
LW C RW
Zach Hyman Auston Matthews William Nylander
Patrick Marleau Nazem Kadri Mitch Marner
James van Riemsdyk Tyler Bozak Connor Brown
A. Johnsson/L. Komarov Tomas Plekanec Kasperi Kapanen
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Morgan Rielly Ron Hainsey
Jake Gardiner Nikita Zaitsev
Roman Polak Travis Dermott
GOALIES
Frederik Andersen
Curtis McElhinney
SICK BAY
F Leo Komarov
PANTHERS GAME DAY LINES
LW C RW
Evgenii Dadonov Aleksander Barkov Nick Bjugstad
Jonathan Huberdeau Vincent Trocheck Jamie McGinn
Maxim Mamin Denis Malgin Colton Sceviour
Micheal Haley Derek MacKenzie Frank Vatrano
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Keith Yandle Aaron Ekblad
Mike Matheson Mark Pysyk
MacKenzie Weegar Alex Petrovic
GOALIES
James Reimer
Roberto Luongo
SICK BAY
None
SPECIAL TEAMS
POWER PLAY
Toronto 23.7% (3rd)
Florida 19.0% (21st)
PENALTY KILLING
Toronto 82.5% (8th)
Florida 80.9% (13th)

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Anyone still worried about Florida? :sarcasm:

If Florida wins in regulation tonight and wins their two games in hand... they'll be 6 points back with 5 games left. Doubt they can pass us, but they might come close.

Ultimately, the Panthers, Devils, and Flyers aren't all going to pass us, so our playoff spot is already locked up. However, I don't think that 90 points is going to be enough for a playoff spot this year like it looked like it might have been a few months ago. Good thing we picked up points when we did... because those wildcard teams are all battling it out till the end.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Panthers need this one big time and will come hungry. If Bobby Lou is on his game, it might be a repeat of Saturday night.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The home winning streak was huge ... but after a winning streak I'm never surprised to see a losing streak.

There isn't a dynasty team in the league today, not like the Canadiens, Islander, Oilers, Red Wings of the past, so expecting a team to play above the competition every game seldom happens today.

Unless the Leafs show up with urgency (Gardiner exempted - not possible) they'll end up on the losing end of tonight's game.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
If Florida wins in regulation tonight and wins their two games in hand... they'll be 6 points back with 5 games left. Doubt they can pass us, but they might come close.

Ultimately, the Panthers, Devils, and Flyers aren't all going to pass us, so our playoff spot is already locked up. However, I don't think that 90 points is going to be enough for a playoff spot this year like it looked like it might have been a few months ago. Good thing we picked up points when we did... because those wildcard teams are all battling it out till the end.
Can you relaxe. The Leafs are in.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

We have 97 points. What does 90 points have to do with anything?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Last time the Leafs needed the Devils' help jockeying for a Playoff spot, they inexplicably pulled their starting Goaltender going into the shootout...

Hopefully the Leafs show you some good ol' Canadian hospitality tonight, though, and come up big for you guys.
I still remember that, that left a bad taste in my mouth.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey

Yep, they are playing amazing to close out the season. Tbh, I'm not worried about the Panthers at all. They play the Bs three more times (1 home, 2 road) and Nashville. Even if they win tonight, it's too little too late.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'm going to watch, but whether we win or lose it is really irrelevant to how we will do come playoffs. The only interesting game left is Winnipeg, all the others are about as important as preseason.

Last edited:
Reactions: zeke

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I'm going to watch, but if we win or lose it is really irrelevant to how we will do come playoffs. The only interesting game left is Winnipeg, all the others are about as important as preseason.
Can't wait for that game against Winnipeg. They'll definitely want to make a statement after the first game of the season :sarcasm:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm going to watch, but if we win or lose it is really irrelevant to how we will do come playoffs. The only interesting game left is Winnipeg, all the others are about as important as preseason.

I'll watch the first live to see if they're going to win and then decide from there.

I've seen enough losing so I'll watch 2nd. and 3rd. PVRd if it is worthy.

Need urgency, but being locked into their spot I can understand how there is much to play for beside the joy of winning.

Reactions: DarkKnight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad