mXdgj95.png

STARTING GOALIE
2024.jpg

#1 THOMAS GREISS
1-2-0 2.59 GAA .918SV%

GAME STORY:
cut.jpg

image.jpg

An emotional game can be expected as a well rested Islanders team takes on a Panthers team on the 2nd leg of a back to back. The Islanders planned a moment of silence for 4 time Cup winning and longtime Panthers executive Bill Torrey, who died of a heart attack at 83 in May. This was before the passing of Charles Wang, longtime Islanders owner who famously bought the team after watching 1 hockey game. Wang, who died over the weekend from lung cancer at 74, owned the team from 2000-2016 and who was regarded as an inexperienced and a cheap owner, who did however fight extremely hard to keep the team in Long Island and was well regarded by players.

PLAYER TO WATCH
getty_matbarzal_2018-01-25.jpg

Matt Barzal is ridiculously good and the player the rebuilding Islanders regard as their franchise with the departure of John Tavares. At 21, he already averages over a point per game, and with Florida's goalie situation, you can expect him to keep that average up.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Just to emphasize yesterday's game. Florida dominated possession and had double the high danger scoring chances. Florida had over 3 expected goals for, Rangers 2.

But here's where it gets good:

Hutchinson's Goals Saved Above Average was -2.95. This means a league average goalie would be expected to allow almost 3 less goals.

Georgiev-+1.74 GSAA meaning he saved them almost 2 goals.

Our goaltending is killing us.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Bjugstad leads the team in +\- with a +4. Confirming the eye test he is really taking care of his end of the ice first. Will finish the year with 20g 50pts and still get trashed even tho he is providing great value for 4 mil

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
This team is just yikes. I honestly don't feel anything win or lose.
They're not though, and that's what's infuriating. I watched that entire game last night. They played great, dominated from start to finish. Analytically they would make Eric Joyce jealous. Overall they're in the top half in most offensive categories, completely respectable. People complaining about the forwards are wrong. People who want Boughner fired? Wrong. There is literally nothing that can be done when your goalie gives up 4 goals when only 1 should have been scored against him.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
They're not though, and that's what's infuriating. I watched that entire game last night. They played great, dominated from start to finish. Analytically they would make Eric Joyce jealous. Overall they're in the top half in most offensive categories, completely respectable. People complaining about the forwards are wrong. People who want Boughner fired? Wrong. There is literally nothing that can be done when your goalie gives up 4 goals when only 1 should have been scored against him.
thats last game. the only game they outplayed the opposition besides game 1 at tampa. they have been outskilled in every zone all other games. sure they may rack up shots into goalie logos and win the shot clock game, but thats about all theyre winning. their offense is horrible. damn near impossible to watch their power play. like every time the puck leaves the o-zone on the PP (which is every 20 seconds) my head just does this uncontrolled snap back in disgust. i stay up to watch from 2 am to 5 am in europe. that ends now. ill catch the highlights of this one. thats about all im willing to invest anymore. i get that the D and goalies have been attrocious. but that is just masking how bad the offense has been.

people are way too results based here. its just like the 2nd half of last year when just because we were winning, people ignored how we were winning. it was ridiculously lucky. and only i and a couple other realists could see it. now everyone has come around to it because the results are terrible. seriously have a little foresight. take a look at how we score our goals vs. how other teams do. watch those gorgeous dekes to open up defenders and lightning fast cross seam passes and one timers into the top shelf and recognize that the panthers have almost no ability to replicate that. we've had one of those goals this year. that pp goal tick tack toe for daddy. thats it. one true nhl goal worth watching a highlight of in 7 games. now add to that the D and goaltending and its just holy........

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Just to emphasize yesterday's game. Florida dominated possession and had double the high danger scoring chances. Florida had over 3 expected goals for, Rangers 2.

But here's where it gets good:

Hutchinson's Goals Saved Above Average was -2.95. This means a league average goalie would be expected to allow almost 3 less goals.

Georgiev-+1.74 GSAA meaning he saved them almost 2 goals.

Our goaltending is killing us.

That's atrocious. Even if luongo comes back within the next 5 games, tallon has to sign mason or lehtonen. He has no choice.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Lee with Hatty. He will destroy our defense/goalies in front of the net. Expecially PP

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I suspect we'll win this game just so we can stay in pace for 9th and the 14th pick. Somebody has to keep employing those mid level first rounders.

If we can't get monty on the ice in time for the game, how about we just start at 6 on 5? If we're going to give up goals anyways, might as well try to score some of our own.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Bjugstad leads the team in +\- with a +4. Confirming the eye test he is really taking care of his end of the ice first. Will finish the year with 20g 50pts and still get trashed even tho he is providing great value for 4 mil

Least of our problems right now.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Would it be crazy to give Monty a chance? He couldn’t be any worse

Just posted regarding this in another thread...Tallon said he wouldn't hesitate to bring guys up if main roster guys weren't getting the job done, so why not? It honestly can't get any worse right now...

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Only problem I’ve ever had with Tallon is he will never make that crazy trade to help this team. Or give up futures... our D core is wretched.

Bobblebee

Formerly Optimus Reim
Dec 22, 2015
B.C.
I'm completely with you, I more or less meant the outcome is yikes, the record is yikes.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
We are last year’s Oilers on anti-steroids. Or we’re taking estrogen.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
That's atrocious. Even if luongo comes back within the next 5 games, tallon has to sign mason or lehtonen. He has no choice.
Hahaha, yeah, let's bring in a guy with a .906 average over the past 3 seasons to replace a guy who's average is .917.
Let's face it, we need Luongo's .922 to keep us in the games.

Reactions: I am not exposed
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad