Rumor: Panthers interested in Tyson Barrie

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I don't think we'll need to protect Kaut; as I expect him to play out the rest of the season in the AHL...since he's younger than Makar he doesn't become automatically eligible for the ED just because he's already signed his ELC, as it can (and likely will) still slide.

Which would leave us with a free forward spot even after protecting 4 blueliners; a spot we could use for Jimmothy or anyone that is acquired via trade/FA before the ED that's worth protecting.
I don't think we'll need to protect Kaut; as I expect him to play out the rest of the season in the AHL...since he's younger than Makar he doesn't become automatically eligible for the ED just because he's already signed his ELC, as it can (and likely will) still slide.

Which would leave us with a free forward spot even after protecting 4 blueliners; a spot we could use for Jimmothy or anyone that is acquired via trade/FA before the ED that's worth protecting.
I thought the rule was 2 pro seasons? AHL would be included right?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I thought the rule was 2 pro seasons? AHL would be included right?
If he's not called up this season, then Kaut would be in the exact same position that Rantanen was for the last ED. He'd have a full AHL season under his belt...but not yet having burned the 1st season of his ELC or triggered his UFA-/waiver-eligibility clocks, he would not require protection in the Expansion Draft.

Reactions: avsfan09

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Let me try to understand your logic to keep Barrie?

Expansion draft protection extended for EJ & Barrie, but offer an additional prospect. So the AVs will be losing 2 players in the draft. If the financial demands are unreasonable, loses on the trade value.

The greater risk is trying to keep Barrie, since trying to struggle in keeping him could be even more costly.

Nope. My current expansion draft protection plan is to protect Girard, Zadorov and Barrie, assuming Makar is exempt (aka he doesn't sign his ELC until after this season ends), with a 33 year old EJ getting exposed and hopefully taken in the draft. But, if Makar isn't as good as expected, or EJ somehow finds the fountain of youth, and we still need EJ beyond the 2021 expansion draft, there are a couple of backup plans that would allow us to potentially keep EJ too, including giving up a prospect to get Seattle to take someone else. Worst case, if Makar fails and EJ sucks, we'd only need 1 RHD to fill in the top 4 because we'd still have Barrie.

If we trade Barrie, what's the backup plan if Makar isn't as good as expected and/or EJ continues to decline? Is it just "hope Timmins and Meloche are both ready for top 4 duty"? How long do we give them until we go back to signing guys like Zanon, Orr'Brien and Beauchemin as UFAs?

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Nope. My current expansion draft protection plan is to protect Girard, Zadorov and Barrie, assuming Makar is exempt (aka he doesn't sign his ELC until after this season ends), with a 33 year old EJ getting exposed and hopefully taken in the draft. But, if Makar isn't as good as expected, or EJ somehow finds the fountain of youth, and we still need EJ beyond the 2021 expansion draft, there are a couple of backup plans that would allow us to potentially keep EJ too, including giving up a prospect to get Seattle to take someone else. Worst case, if Makar fails and EJ sucks, we'd only need 1 RHD to fill in the top 4 because we'd still have Barrie.

If we trade Barrie, what's the backup plan if Makar isn't as good as expected and/or EJ continues to decline? Is it just "hope Timmins and Meloche are both ready for top 4 duty"? How long do we give them until we go back to signing guys like Zanon, Orr'Brien and Beauchemin as UFAs?

Do you really still have faith in Sakic to awaken from his coma for long enough to add anyone of significance this offseason & force us to go 7-3-1 instead of 8-1?

If we went 8-1; we'd presently be penciling Jimmothy Timmothy Compher into that 4th forward slot behind the top line...if Kaut & Makar are kept exempt...and that 4th blueline spot looks like it would likely come down to EJ, Meloche or Timmins.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Do you really still have faith in Sakic to awaken from his coma for long enough to add anyone of significance this offseason & force us to go 7-3-1 instead of 8-1?

If we went 8-1; we'd presently be penciling Jimmothy Timmothy Compher into that 4th forward slot behind the top line...if Kaut & Makar are kept exempt...and that 4th blueline spot looks like it would likely come down to EJ, Meloche or Timmins.

Right now, I agree with you that we only appear to have 4 forwards worth keeping, and if the expansion draft were tomorrow, 8-1 would be the easy choice. But, I'm not willing to completely write off the rest of our expansion draft eligible youngsters (Jost, Kerfoot, Kamanev, Greer, etc) with more than 2 years left until the expansion draft. If one (or more) of them becomes worthy of protection, we'll have 5 (or more) forwards and 4 defensemen to protect, and in that case, I think it makes more sense to expose a 33 year old declining D with a $6m cap hit, instead of exposing 3 young forwards in their early/mid 20s.

Reactions: avsfan09

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

EJ has a NMC & NTC clause. You’re assuming waiving to protect Barrie.

Reactions: Mac Attack

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Hoffman and Borgstrom for Barrie and a 2nd?

Then the Avs bring up Makar and they become SCARY :)

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Hoffman and Borgstrom for Barrie and a 2nd?

Then the Avs bring up Makar and they become SCARY :)

Hoffman would be a terrible addition to the young AVs.

Irrespective of the social media drama with the GF, he's never known to be likeable in the dressing room that stretched back into his junior days.

He is a good player, plays well above expectations...concerns with his attitude might not a good fit.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I doubt you will get the offer you are looking for for Hoffman, reason being that I dont think the Avs fans wants him on their club.
That’s fine I don’t know why we aren’t keeping him. It makes no sense to trade a package like that for Barrie who is redundant on our team. He’s a good player but I don’t even know why we would be interested.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
That’s fine I don’t know why we aren’t keeping him. It makes no sense to trade a package like that for Barrie who is redundant on our team. He’s a good player but I don’t even know why we would be interested.

What about someone like Colin Wilson, or Patrik Nemeth? They are both pending UFAs, and much more likely to get traded than Barrie. Nemeth looks like he might be a fit, just looking at your roster. Or are you guys happy with your bottom pairing LHD situation?

Reactions: Meeqs

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
What about someone like Colin Wilson, or Patrik Nemeth? They are both pending UFAs, and much more likely to get traded than Barrie. Nemeth looks like he might be a fit, just looking at your roster. Or are you guys happy with your bottom pairing LHD situation?

No need for anymore LD. Need a 2nd pairing defensive RD and starting goalie. Not good trading partners.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Our bottom pair isn’t bad. Much better than the Petrovic nightmare we had in the beginning of the year. We need a legit top 4 guy though to play with Matheson.

Reactions: I am not exposed

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
Avs cant go wrong wtih another top 10 pick. If the Avs come out of the 2019 draft with a Top 6 Fwd, Top 4 Dman and a goalie (Knight) They did very well for themselves.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Right now, I agree with you that we only appear to have 4 forwards worth keeping, and if the expansion draft were tomorrow, 8-1 would be the easy choice. But, I'm not willing to completely write off the rest of our expansion draft eligible youngsters (Jost, Kerfoot, Kamanev, Greer, etc) with more than 2 years left until the expansion draft. If one (or more) of them becomes worthy of protection, we'll have 5 (or more) forwards and 4 defensemen to protect, and in that case, I think it makes more sense to expose a 33 year old declining D with a $6m cap hit, instead of exposing 3 young forwards in their early/mid 20s.
Also strong username to post content ratio.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad