Rumor: Panthers interested in Bobrovsky + 8-year extension, per Brooksie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
The 'cause Panthers' side of me knows that he'll get dealt to another team and immediately sign an extension with them.

-ghoste

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Currently Hoffman is on a pace to score 35-40 goals which Bread has never done in the NHL. In other words, as far as the "trade Hoff!"-folks are concerned, do we want to pay $2-3mil extra per year for the privilege of adding no extra goals on the "goals for"-category? I don't think so and the Cats issues haven't been in scoring goals and with Tippett knocking in the front isn't changing that situation to worse. Thus, Stone would the best bet on the Panthers jersey with the rumored price tag of $9mil per. But then again, anything could happen on 1st of July.

Hoffman is on no pace to score 40 goals.

And Panarin has scored more than Hoffman's career high three times.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

Incorrect.

OK? Still not even close to justify an extra $3mil per year. What you and the other folks 'round here [mod] are proposing that the Cats should trade so far proven 35-40 goal pace production to a semi-mystery box: it could be anything, it could even 30 goals per season! This is Chiarelli-type Hall-for-Larsson type readjusting: trying to gain extra 10% when in reality the gain is actually -30% reduction.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Man, there is going to be a lot of disappointed fans when we get neither of these players and end up signing Talbot and Pominville instead.

I think most would be celebrating here like no tomorrow because "a proven 30 goal scorer finally!" and "proven goat lending!". Dale isn't probably the GM that the Cats fans need or want but the one that they deserve.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

Yeah, Hoffman's career year is falling short of any of Panarin's NHL seasons.
If we get Panarin and trade Hoffman for a good defenseman, that's great! We just improved at forward and improved at defense. Would it be better to get Panarin and keep Hoffman, hell yeah. But then we can only improve the defense if we trade/offer sheet Brossoit. Then we can overpay for a UFA dman. Something like this: lmao Panthers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

But it seems like the Panthers are dead set on Bob and I definitely expect an overpayment come July 1st. So if we want to improve the defense more than trying to swap Pysyk for Jordie Benn, some money needs to be shuffled around. (I mean, if Luongo goes LTIR and the buy-out Reimer, then we're in the clear for improving the D without sending Hoffman away)

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I agree and think a line consisting of Panarin/Barkov/Dadanov would instantly challenge TB for #1 line in NHL. And with Panarin, Barkov is easily a 100pts player over the stretch of a season IMO.

It doesn't quite work like that. Hoffman was supposed to play mostly with Barkov, and score a load of points. Instead he has barely played with Barkov, but he has still scored a lot. Kessel was going to score 50 goals with Crosby! However, they never really clicked. If Panarin and Barkov click, that would be incredible! But if Pararin does come here, I wouldn't be surprised to see him on a different line to Barkov.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Yeah, Hoffman's career year is falling short of any of Panarin's NHL seasons.
If we get Panarin and trade Hoffman for a good defenseman, that's great! We just improved at forward and improved at defense. Would it be better to get Panarin and keep Hoffman, hell yeah. But then we can only improve the defense if we trade/offer sheet Brossoit. Then we can overpay for a UFA dman. Something like this: lmao Panthers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

But it seems like the Panthers are dead set on Bob and I definitely expect an overpayment come July 1st. So if we want to improve the defense more than trying to swap Pysyk for Jordie Benn, some money needs to be shuffled around. (I mean, if Luongo goes LTIR and the buy-out Reimer, then we're in the clear for improving the D without sending Hoffman away)

It is going to be a gross overpayment as well. :(

These old threads will be interesting to look back on!

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Incorrect.

OK? Still not even close to justify an extra $3mil per year. What you and the other folks 'round here [mod] are proposing that the Cats should trade so far proven 35-40 goal pace production to a semi-mystery box: it could be anything, it could even 30 goals per season! This is Chiarelli-type Hall-for-Larsson type readjusting: trying to gain extra 10% when in reality the gain is actually -30% reduction.

What has Hoffman proven up to now? In his peak goal scoring year, thus far, he scored 29 goals. That was in 2015-16. Since his peak year his goal totals have been: 26,22. His highest point producing year was the following year -- 61 points in 74 games, a 67 point pace.

So, are we going to assume that Hoffman, at 30+ years old, is going to become a consistent 30 goal scorer? He's on pace right now, let's see where he is in April. And next year. And the year after.

Now on to Panarin. Here are his goal totals in his first three years in the NHL: 30, 31, 27. Here are his point totals: 77, 74, 82.

So, Panarin has averaged more goals than Hoffman over their careers and Panarin has averaged more points (by a wide margin) over their careers.

I'm not quite sure which mystery box we're talking about here. One of these is not only more consistent, he's more consistent scoring at a higher rate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
It doesn't quite work like that. Hoffman was supposed to play mostly with Barkov, and score a load of points. Instead he has barely played with Barkov, but he has still scored a lot. Kessel was going to score 50 goals with Crosby! However, they never really clicked. If Panarin and Barkov click, that would be incredible! But if Pararin does come here, I wouldn't be surprised to see him on a different line to Barkov.

Boughner is constantly trying to squeeze an extra goal here 'n there with his lineup changes. Bread would be occasionally on the 3rd line which he ofc would like much. It's funny that some think Bread would instantly catapult Barkov to +100pts season when obviously he could do it now by himself if he didn't constantly look for cute passes and too many times drifts into unnecessary board battles. Ofc these folks would then resort to "umm.. not 100pts but +130pts with Bread!" It's no use. These guys have made up their bias already in grade school that Bread is freedom, Bread is love.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Hoffman isn't close to Panarin. Don't let a career year and shooting % fool you.

Panarin is game a game breaking talent while Hoffman has a shot and that's about it. I'd take Dadonov over Hoffman easily just because he brings more to the table.

I don't care if we actually need a defenseman more, you just don't pass on the kind of talent that Panarin is if he's available. And what a perfect time to sell high on Hoff.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Incorrect.

What are you talking about? It's not a mystery box. Panarin is a proven better offensive player than Hoffman lol. Thats not up for debate, or a semi-mystery. Sorry. I need to learn hockey?:huh::laugh:

Panarin is two years younger and is a more productive offensive player. That easily justifies a few more mil per year, especially when considering the potential great chemistry Dad-Barkov-panarin might have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->