NFL: Panthers hire Frank Reich as head coach

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
solid hire, but surprised they didn't give the job to wilks after he did a decent job as interim

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I wouldn’t have been disappointed if Wilks was hired but people are acting like he is Belichick.

Guy had the advantage of an easy schedule and taking over after one of the worst coach’s in NFL history.

Those games against the Steelers and Bucs were winnable but he failed to adjust which couldn’t have helped his cause.

Reactions: SnS and Voight

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Meh hire but this is a at-best meh franchise.

He's the first QB in franchise history so that's cool.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Reich got raw deal IMO in Indy

This should be good hire and Panthers should draft QB to tie to his regime this year in draft if they like a QB in this draft enough

No vet stopgaps or reclamation projects

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Reich got raw deal IMO in Indy

This should be good hire and Panthers should draft QB to tie to his regime this year in draft if they like a QB in this draft enough

No vet stopgaps or reclamation projects
Carolina not exactly swimming in draft capital. They’ve moved their own 3rd, 6th and 7th rounders for the upcoming draft. Have 4 picks in rounds 2,3,4 from SF and a 7 from Buf. So they have a total of 8.

They’d have to love a guy a lot to try to jump Houston and even Indy. Cost would likely include their 2024 first. If they are looking after the top 2 QBs go off the board then they need to jump Atl. They’d know going into the draft whether they need to jump LV.

Very possible that someone like Tanny goes to Atl and reunites with Arthur Smith or a former NE QB joins McDaniels. Possible that they may not fee the need to jump, but there is still teams like Ten and Wash behind them that could make a play to move up.

I’m sure they’ve discussed the plans or options at QB. Reich has been through a revolving door at QB for Indy. I’m sure he’d like some stability in that position.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Not sure I like this situation, mainly because I think this lines up the panthers to make a huge mistake in the draft that will sink Reich as an NFL coach for good.

Reactions: SnS

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not sure I like this situation, mainly because I think this lines up the panthers to make a huge mistake in the draft that will sink Reich as an NFL coach for good.
You’d expect him to be in on the decision. In river and Ryan they were all like 1 year solutions. Maybe they thought Ryan would stretch it to 2 years. The option to get a 31/32 year old QB is still on the table.

But it’s a lot of pressure on a new HC when you deal the following years first before you’ve even gotten your team to training camp.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
What do you mean a huge mistake? Like reaching on a QB?

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
So a coach goes 6-6 in a crap division and that should make him keep his job? Dont think anybody else wants to interview Wilks for a head coaching job. Good hire by the Panthers.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So a coach goes 6-6 in a crap division and that should make him keep his job? Dont think anybody else wants to interview Wilkes for a head coaching job. Good hire by the Panthers.
Getting tougher and tougher for Defensive Coordinators to get a HC job. Typically the teams that fire their HC it’s mostly due to poor QB play. Denver, Indy, Hou, Car, AZ (Murray injury). Teams are looking for someone to fix their QB. Or have to develop someone young. So they will likely lean to someone with an offensive background.

That does make sense as if you are a defensive HC you are then relying on a great OC and if that person does well he will be a candidate for a HC role and leave the team in 2-3 years.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Considering how QB did him him over and over in Indy, this is a good thing to worry about.
The guy had Brisset, Rivers, Wentz and Ryan as his starters through 4 consecutive seasons.

Wentz, it’s time to say that he’s not getting back to his pre acl injury play. Not at his price to take that chance. Rivers and Ryan were basically in their final season. Makes the deal The falcons gave to Ryan even more perplexing with how he fell off last season.

At pick 9, it costs too much to jump to 1 or 3. So unless they are dying the 3rd qb off the board I don’t see them trading up that high.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Steve Wilks can't be pleased, bro did a good job as the interim and probably deserved that gig.

Can't believe Reich is coaching another team with a questionable (to say the least) QB situation.
He was already a head coach for a while and already a coordinator before for the Panthers years before that. I don't think the Panthers beating on their own sorry division and losing to a terrible Bucs team to make sure they wouldn't make it is reassuring especially when they blew out the Bucs in the first meeting.

Reactions: SnS

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Duce will be offensive coordinator. He will be a head coach within 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad