Post-Game Talk: Panthers gut out a 4-3 win with Bob shining late for Q's 900th win, 2nd all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Goal production not as good as McDavid? Bure would be battling for the Rocket Richard trophy every season if he played now.

Sure battling for it but he wouldn't be a better player than them. It would be like Phil Kessel. Good scorer but isnt considered in the same breath as Crosby or Malkin

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Sure battling for it but he wouldn't be a better player than them. It would be like Phil Kessel. Good scorer but isnt considered in the same breath as Crosby or Malkin

He was never compared to the best player in the game back then, like Lemieux or Jagr, so why would he be compared to today's top players? And regardless, we are talking about goal scoring here, and he would undoubtedly be right at the top. It wasn't just his speed that was an advantage for him, it was his shiftiness, his hands, his shot, etc.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Bure would lead the league in goals just like he did in the past. Two line passes were not allowed when he played and that would certainly increase his opportunities to score in today’s game. Hard to see him with less than 60 goals a year in today’s NHL. You could hook and grab him when he played, he becomes even more dangerous with the rule changes.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
And now we are saying Pavel Bure wouldn't be the best scorer in the League along with Ovechkin if he played now... lol

Comparing him to Kessel... LOL

Man, this board... It's gone brain-dead, plain stupid or just simply ridiculous.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
He was never compared to the best player in the game back then, like Lemieux or Jagr, so why would he be compared to today's top players? And regardless, we are talking about goal scoring here, and he would undoubtedly be right at the top. It wasn't just his speed that was an advantage for him, it was his shiftiness, his hands, his shot, etc.

The aforementioned poster mentioned triple digit goals as a possibility, this would make Bure the best player in the league. I was responding to that... He would be in the top five as a goalscorer I mentioned that before I'm not disagreeing with that. Nothing would suggest he would be THE top scorer despite his elite skill set. Defenseman are head and shoulders much more talented today than when Bure played he wouldn't be able to skate circles around players as before. And goaltending while the pads are smaller they are more well trained. He would be a top player but not the top player. He would of course have the potential to the top scorer any given year but again nothing would suggest that he would be the top scorer based simply on the fact that his talent level wouldn't be much different than the talent of the top players today.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
And now we are saying Pavel Bure wouldn't be the best scorer in the League along with Ovechkin if he played now... lol

Comparing him to Kessel... LOL

Man, this board... It's gone brain-dead, plain stupid or just simply ridiculous.

Lol ok buddy you can live in nostalgia land if you want. Pavel Bure is my favorite player of all time. But a spade is a spade.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Bure would lead the league in goals just like he did in the past. Two line passes were not allowed when he played and that would certainly increase his opportunities to score in today’s game. Hard to see him with less than 60 goals a year in today’s NHL. You could hook and grab him when he played, he becomes even more dangerous with the rule changes.

You are accounting for things that made it difficult to score (hook and grab) but you didnt account the things that he would no longer have an advantage in (speed). Defenseman today can close the gap with far better frequency than what you saw in the 90's. They have much better skating than what we saw in the 90's 2000's/ You need to account for that too.

Reactions: klabob

SimbaThePanther

Jul 3, 2015
Sweden
You are accounting for things that made it difficult to score (hook and grab) but you didnt account the things that he would no longer have an advantage in (speed). Defenseman today can close the gap with far better frequency than what you saw in the 90's. They have much better skating than what we saw in the 90's 2000's/ You need to account for that too.

I don't know about that. One of McDavid's big assets would be his speed, he can fly by the defense a lot of the times. Think speed is very much still a key to success in today's NHL, obviously McD has more in his arsenal, which makes him the franchise player that he is. I do however think triple digits would be a bit steep for Bure.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
I don't know about that. One of McDavid's big assets would be his speed, he can fly by the defense a lot of the times. Think speed is very much still a key to success in today's NHL, obviously McD has more in his arsenal, which makes him the franchise player that he is. I do however think triple digits would be a bit steep for Bure.

You raise a good point speed is an advantage for these players and would be for Bure if he were around today. Nonetheless we don't have anything to suggest he would be more than a top five scorer and any better than the top scorers of today. The argument is his speed would be even more beneficial now than before thus leading to increased scoring and I just dont think that's the case.

Reactions: klabob

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Yeah but at the time his speed made him a threat he was faster than most players on the ice. In today's game his speed wouldn't be as much of an advantage I'l agree that perhaps he has more finishing ability than MacDavid or Mackinnon as a goal scorer but he lacks the vision and playmaking ability of MacDavid as well as his overall skill level. He also lacks the physical aspect of Mackinnon's game. Overall he would be a top 5 goal scorer maybe some years as the best scorer.

What's his name, Shane Churla. He might have something to say about that.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I think Bure would still be an elite scoring threat in today's game. As others pointed out, I think the rule changes would mitigate any improvements in overall League skating quality.

Reactions: PantherboyHTR

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
He would still have an advantage in speed and would have more opportunities to score. It was easier to defend against fast guys because you could grab them or hook them to slow them down. D men today struggle with fast skilled forwards.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I think Bure would still be an elite scoring threat in today's game. As others pointed out, I think the rule changes would mitigate any improvements in overall League skating quality.

And Bure played with technology and nutrition that is 2 to 3 decades old.

He'd be faster and in better physical condition too.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Matheson has gone back to his usual trash play, -10 since he came back and on the ice for all 3 Rags goals tonight, 0 for Florida

just a side note: matheson has the lowest +/- on the team with a -10. say what you want about +/-, just pointing it out. then again, stralman is 2nd with -9. is there somewhere that can show just how many goals have been scored against while a particular D is on the ice? specifically even strength. as numbers will be boosted on a PP while I dont want to judge too harshly when on the PK.
Definitely a concern for that Math-Stral pairing. The Jets game I counted 2 times where Math got to the loose puck first and Jets came out on top with it to score. Then this game, once again, Rags completely all alone in the front of the net to score easily. We can really use Weegs back in the lineup to put less pressure on these 2 guys.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Why do you guys use WiFI so much in US? What does unlimited data for cell cost? Nobody really uses wifi in finland for phone as unlimited is 20$ a month few bucks more and can get 100mbit data unlimited on your phone
Unlimited in US you're paying double or triple what you pay in Europe. Canada quadruple. It's a crime what cell plans cost in Canada.

Reactions: PantherboyHTR

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Wayne Gretzky wasn't that fast, with the emphasis on speed today and everybody that is much faster, I don't think he would be ahead of MacKinnon or McDavid... Maybe top-3 player, but Crosby is still pretty good, so top-5 I would say...

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
And Bure played with technology and nutrition that is 2 to 3 decades old.

He'd be faster and in better physical condition too.
This.

Folks, if you’re going to do a fantasy compare situation, you have to at least TRY to account for the time difference and advances in training etc. To assume if Pavel Bure were starting out today that he’d be what he was 20-30 years ago, while everyone else (like defense) have progressed and become better, is an unfair assumption.

Everyone at the time of Bure was trying their hardest and Bure beat them then. He would beat them again today if he were young.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Wayne Gretzky wasn't that fast, with the emphasis on speed today and everybody that is much faster, I don't think he would be ahead of MacKinnon or McDavid... Maybe top-3 player, but Crosby is still pretty good, so top-5 I would say...
LOL.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Yeah but at the time his speed made him a threat he was faster than most players on the ice. In today's game his speed wouldn't be as much of an advantage I'l agree that perhaps he has more finishing ability than MacDavid or Mackinnon as a goal scorer but he lacks the vision and playmaking ability of MacDavid as well as his overall skill level. He also lacks the physical aspect of Mackinnon's game. Overall he would be a top 5 goal scorer maybe some years as the best scorer.

I agree Bure was not a playmaker as MacD. But he was the purest of goal scorers, possessing a rocket of a shot with "old" technology and always being in the right spot at the right time (can't teach that). Plus he never had a Rantanen-Landeskog or Draisaitl support and still put up the numbers, all that in the trap and left-wing lock era (neither the wizard nor Kozlov nor any other Panthers' center came close to those 3).

I admit the triple digit comment is farfetched, but if a Gaudreau or St. Louis were able to be downright dominant at times within the last years, Bure clearly would have shown them how it is done.

P.S. please take no offense, but comparing Bure to Kessel is as Shaq would say "horrorawful"

Last edited:

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Im all for Voynov. Im sure Tallon will look at him when the time comes, and he will probably sit down with the leaders of the team, and see what they think. Think there is enough leadership in the lockeroom to keep him in check.

Putting aside any moral objections, bringing in Voynov would be the absolute worst PR move the team can make. All the headlines would be about how the Panthers just brought in a wife beater that nobody else wanted.

It doesn't matter if he did or didn't do it, or if all 30 other teams would bring him in for the right price. But this is the Panthers. Most of the hockey media would love to skewer the team with anything negative that they can. The Canadian media would never let it go. Team makes it to the finals? It would be all about how Voynov might win a cup and how we gave him that chance.

Personally, I don't really care what others think about the team. The last 25 years have numbed me to it, but it would be a huge distraction and keep away many new potential fans. Let's not spoil what could be the greatest period ever for our franchise.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
I agree Bure was not a playmaker as MacD. But he was the purest of goal scorers, possessing a rocket of a shot with "old" technology and always being in the right spot at the right time (can't teach that). Plus he never had a Rantanen-Landeskog or Draisaitl support and still put up the numbers, all that in the trap and left-wing lock era (neither the wizard nor Kozlov nor any other Panthers' center came close to those 3).

I admit the triple digit comment is farfetched, but if a Gaudreau or St. Louis were able to be downright dominant at times within the last years, Bure clearly would have shown them how it is done.

P.S. please take no offense, but comparing Bure to Kessel is as Shaq would say "horrorawful"

I have no doubt Bure would be a top goal scorer but this argument going around that he would be "untouchable" due to his speed and skillset is simply false. With Kessel it wasn't a direct comparison I was just comparing the fact that Kessel being a top goal scorer isnt seen in the same light as the top players in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad