NFL: Panthers fire Ron Rivera

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Analytical Ron’s time as come. He’ll end up somewhere next year.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
What is point of doing this now?

At 5-7 with end of year that see's them play Seahawks , Colts and Saints the playoffs are extreme longshot at best

Should have just let season finish out and moved on

BergyTime37

Jun 17, 2015
The riverboat finally took on too much water. Panthers are going to be QB hunting and HC hunting come the off-season. Feel like Ron should get a second crack as a HC somewhere. He would certainly be a better option than Gase in NY or Kitchens in Cleveland?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
source.gif

f***ING FINALLY

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Rivera reign in Carolina ended up pretty similar to how things went with his old boss in Chicago

Rivera
76-63-1 with Panthers with 4 playoff appearances in 9 years

His playoff record was 3-4 (With a loss in SB L)

Lovie
81-63 with 3 Playoff appearances in 9 years

His playoff record was 3-3 (With a loss in Super Bowl XLI and 2010 NFC Champ Game)

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
What is point of doing this now?

At 5-7 with end of year that see's them play Seahawks , Colts and Saints the playoffs are extreme longshot at best

Should have just let season finish out and moved on

They get a jump start on interviewing candidates. No need to delay the inevitable.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I would not be even a little surprised if Dennis Allen gets a shot at HC and Ron replaces him as DC in Nola. They have similar philosophies on defensive concepts.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
I will admit as a fan of his canning I expected it to be end of year but Tepper made a choice and acted... From what I can tell he doesn't (Tepper) tries to play straight and no reason to hang on to Ron Also it allows Ron to get out there for another position early... so I think it's reasonably stand up as a move. I wish Ron nothing but the best but he and the Panthers needed the split.

But apparently Hurney is not also soon to be seeking further employment.

Reactions: SnS

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They get a jump start on interviewing candidates. No need to delay the inevitable.
Which candidates are available for interviews in week 14? No team is letting a coordinator interview for the Panther's HC now. Not until after the regular season ends and maybe not until their team's season ends. Still have the Conference title games in the NCAA this weekend. What are the chances Carolina goes shopping in the college ranks?

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Allen was so terrible his first go round as HC not sure enough time has passed that he should get another shot yet

Raiders aren't exactly a good measuring stick since everybody fails there. I don't think Allen is necessarily HC material but he is one of the top coordinators out there, he'll get interviews.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Going to miss him although it was time. I've seen him out and about before and he is a good guy. Charlotte has seen their fair share of asshole athletes and coaches before and Ron was opposite of that.

As for the timing, I personally would have been fine giving him the rest of the season but this gives him the opportunity to begin new options, it also lets him enjoy the holidays without the inevitable hanging over his head.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
He’ll be a head coach easily IMO if he wants it. Only way he’s a DC is if he wants to be.

Could be a Trotz esque hire for whoever gets him. He’s an elite coach, just been there for a million years.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
By the way this is the first time in franchise history the Panthers have ever had an interim head coach. Even George Seifert who went 1-15 his last year wasn't fired until the Monday following the last game of the season.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
By the way this is the first time in franchise history the Panthers have ever had an interim head coach. Even George Seifert who went 1-15 his last year wasn't fired until the Monday following the last game of the season.
wow i forgot seifert coached the panthers. what a terrible HC he was

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad