LeBrun: Panthers cut ties with Jagr

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Sedins and Jagr would be awesome to work the boards in the offensive zone. But also the slowest line in the game :) Would be interesting to see how it would play out.

Sedin line is already the slowest ever. Adding another has been would be overkill (see Eriksson).

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Sedin line is already the slowest ever. Adding another has been would be overkill (see Eriksson).

You have to consider Jagr is a much more talented player than Eriksson even at his age (nothing against him) :laugh:

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
When Barkov is in the lineup Jagr always plays with him.

True, but when Barkov was out it was a revolving door of 10+ different guys last season. So assuming Barkov and Huberdeau were healthy, it is a safe assumption Jagr puts up another 15-20 points easily.

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
Love this. I wish I had the patience to make a list of linemates each had because I guarentee Jagrs was much worse.

Here is list of Jagr linemates last season:

Denis Malgin
Seth Griffith
Greg McKegg
Colton Sceviour
Jared McCann
Nick Bjugstad
Derek MacKenzie
Huberdeau
Reilly Smith
Vincent Trocheck
Aleksander Barkov
Jonathan Marchessault
Jussi Jokinen

Seth Griffith was a mainstay on the 1st line for almost 10 games, and he has not scored a goal since the season 2014/2015. Now fired coach Tom Rowe said he was snakebitten and got the talent....

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008

Denis Malgin
Seth Griffith
Greg McKegg
Colton Sceviour
Jared McCann
Nick Bjugstad
Derek MacKenzie
Huberdeau
Reilly Smith
Vincent Trocheck
Aleksander Barkov
Jonathan Marchessault
Jussi Jokinen

Seth Griffith was a mainstay on the 1st line for almost 10 games, and he has not scored a goal since the season 2014/2015. Now fired coach Tom Rowe said he was snakebitten and got the talent....

Right. Looking at this, its hard nto to think Jagr would have easily put up another 20 points if he had a healthy Huberdeau and Barkov.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
True, but when Barkov was out it was a revolving door of 10+ different guys last season. So assuming Barkov and Huberdeau were healthy, it is a safe assumption Jagr puts up another 15-20 points easily.

I'm not so sure.

He had a very frustrating season, he had a slow start. Missed lot of great set ups by Barkov because his hands/shot looked lost, as well lost the puck too often for the same reason. Took lot of hooking/holding penalties because of his skating. Does nothing defensively.

He's as 1dimensional as it gets today and should not play on anyones 1st line.

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
Could you not be bothered to link it? Or at least summarize it?

Here is your summary:

So now its confirmed Jagr didn't receive an offer from the Panthers, quoting, "money wasn't an issue."

Tallon even confirmed this himself yesterday; quotes:
"Tallon admitted he never made Jagr an offer and he was torn up about it "
"Tallon said Panthers want to get faster as reasons for Jagr and Jokinen moves"
---
Tallon and the Cats are a joke. Tallon have been lying/fooling everyone about wanting Jagr back since April and all way through the summer until yesterday saying he has been talking with Jagrs agent. Treating Jagr as a pile of dirt. Unreal.

The reason was probably that FLA wanted to sell some tickets during off season and had they announced immediately they were moving on from Jagr that would have been a PR disaster.

Either way, totally classless move of Tallon and Florida. At least now Florida fans cant say Jagr left them for greener grass, as he clearly wanted to stay.

And on top of that you have the clueless clowns in this thread moaning about Jagr pricing himself out, sighs :shakehead
---
Jagr earned a base salary of $4 million last year that grew to $5.5 million with bonuses. Tallon said Thursday that he had been talking to Jagr’s agent Petr Svoboda on a regular basis and that the window would remain open to re-sign Jagr until October if no other team signed him.

That window slammed shut when free agency began Saturday.

Tallon admitted that while Svoboda made an early offer in the protracted negotiation process, he never made a counter-offer.

A source said Jagr felt disrespected and left twisting in the wind since April.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/florida-panthers/fl-sp-panthers-jagr-201707081-story.html
----
Jagr obviously wanted to comeback after last season ended, but expected he had to wait for Panthers management decision if he got to stay or not.

Turns out Jagr had to wait 3 months until free agency started to get an answer from Florida - and Tallon deceived Jagr and everyone else during 3 months.

Tallon could not even be honest at summer summit 1 day before free agency and went on with his lies in front of 1000 Panthers fans - telling them he was talking with Jagrs agent when the Panthers had no intention of re-signing. Thats beyond absurd - just completely classless.

After 130 points in 180 games and an amazing journey, the Panthers could not even be honest and open about their intentions with him?

Apparantly Tallon has no idea how to treat people, no wonder Jagr felt disrespected after all he has done for Floridas team.

“We’ll wait for the season to end,” Jagr told reporters following Monday’s morning skate in Sunrise.

“The way I look at it, we’re already playing for the future right now. I love the game, still want to be better every day I step on the ice. Nothing has changed in the 20-something years I have played hockey.
“The drive is still there, in my mind, I still believe I can get better. We’ll wait and see what happens.”

As far as wanting to return to Florida, Jagr seems open to the idea. The Panthers are believed to be open to having Jagr return for at least one more season.
“I love it here, every minute,” he said. “The organization was so good to me; gave me a chance, traded for me, put me with good and talented players the past few years here. I love it, love it here. Nothing has changed. Other than not making the playoffs, nothing has changed."

"It doesn't matter if we lost or we didn't make the playoffs," Jagr said. "Nothing has changed. I'm the one to be blamed, too."

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nhl/florida-panthers/article142385284.html#storylink=cpy

Evergreen

Awesome, thanks for this. ^^^

I am certain Jagr will end up with a new NHL team soon enough. I'd love to see him in Vegas. If he doesn't want to be a part of that situation, then perhaps he could replace Marleau in SJ. His lack of speed would fit in with guys like Thornton and Pavelski.

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
I'm not so sure.

He had a very frustrating season, he had a slow start. Missed lot of great set ups by Barkov because his hands/shot looked lost, as well lost the puck too often for the same reason. Took lot of hooking/holding penalties because of his skating. Does nothing defensively.

And yet Jagr had the 3rd best +/- on the team. So clearly he can not be such a liability on defense? And if he is, he compensates for it by creating offense.

Maybe you should pick on the people having -23 on the bottom instead? Marchessault scored 30 goals and is -21. He must surely do nothing on defense?

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005

I agree. He would probably have had about 60 points without any doubt and if he had the Panthers would had to re-sign, otherwise they would look really stupid.

Despite playing with both of his young linemates, Barkov and Huberdeau, for just 23 games because of injuries last season, Jagr had 16 goals and 46 points in 82 games.

Jagr also tied for the team lead with 8 power-play goals and led with 25 even-strength assists while playing with minor leaguers and rookies such for long stretches of the season.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/florida-panthers/fl-sp-panthers-jagr-201707081-story.html

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

Denis Malgin
Seth Griffith
Greg McKegg
Colton Sceviour
Jared McCann
Nick Bjugstad
Derek MacKenzie
Huberdeau
Reilly Smith
Vincent Trocheck
Aleksander Barkov
Jonathan Marchessault
Jussi Jokinen

Misleading post.

his most common linemates this season were Huberdeau / Barkov or Huberdeau / Marchessault

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Misleading post.

his most common linemates this season were Huberdeau / Barkov or Huberdeau / Marchessault

Replacing one misleading post with another...

He spent 25% of the season with Huberdeau-Barkov (after Huberdeau returned from injury and while Barkov was nursing a possible back problem) and 18% with Marchesseault-Barkov at the beginning of the season. However, that still leaves 57% of the season unaccounted for, which Jagr spent with:

Seth Griffith-Barkov (8%)
Huberdeau-Trocheck(6%)
Jokinen-Barkov(6%)
Barkov-Reilly Smith (5%)
McCann-Trocheck (5%)
McCann-Marchesseault(4%)
Trocheck-Marchesseault(4%)
Trocheck-Seth Griffith (3%)
Seth Griffith-Bjugstad (2%)
Jokinen-Trocheck (1%)
Sceviour-Barkov (1%)
Malgin-Barkov (1%)
Huberdeau-Malgin (1%)
Jokinen-Derek MacKenzie (1%)

...and dozens other combinations with AHL forwards/tweeners which didn't get significant icetime.

The whole Panthers lineup was a constant mess last season. Forget developing any chemistry - lines were changed over and over again, trying to find a Huberdeau replacement when the team clearly didn't have one. Additonal injuries to Barkov, Bjugstad and Jokinen only made things worse.

---

Anyway, I can understand that the Panthers wanted to move on from Jagr since they want to make the team all about speed. I just wish they parted with him in a way that was more respectful; not making vague statements and "negotiating" for two months without even offering him a contract at the end.

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
Maybe Jagr did not drag down his linemates even this last season? Stats show the opposite...

NHL fans, of course, are hoping someone steps up to sign the second-highest point-getter in NHL history. While the league as a whole gets faster and team building emphasizes speed more and more each season, Jagr is certainly the antithesis to that focus. But what he lacks in footspeed, he makes up for in smarts and positioning.

Watch Jagr live and you’ll see a player who zigs, zags and uses his body to create space. He’s not quick, but he knows where to be and where his linemates will be to get them the puck. He’s not going to win any Art Ross Trophies, but in Florida the numbers indicate he was a hugely positive possession contributor.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/five-fun-destinations-45-year-old-ufa-jaromir-jagr/

Last edited:

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
I am getting a good laugh from Tallons thanks to Jagr.

I am loving the part in bold below. Where Tallon seems you know kind of confused to describe the time of the process of letting Jagr go.

I really believe Tallon wanted Jagr back and just like postponed to the decision to let him go until there was no time left for a miracle to save him. I also think the Jagr decision was more complicated and involved more people than Florida will admit.

"Its time now for our young core guys to take over this team, that was in the thought process as well, I want to wish those 2 guys great success, they are phenomenal, quality classy people that really did alot for our organisation.

I mean I cant say enough, it was a honour to be touched by a legend really, you know I was torn, it was a tough couple weeks or months or OR WHATEVER IT WAS. But cant thank him enough, what he did for our kids, for myself and everybody else in this organisation, we cant measure it. You just say congratulations to him and thank him and wish him all the best, he was fantastic.
We have trouble locating your package."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebQLbkT6SBA

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Probably Florida wanted to prevent backslash from fanbase after cutting Jagr lose. Tallon paints a picture of Jagr turning Florida down for money reasons and Jagr will take the blame and be the scapegoat.

Exactly what Ray Shero did back in 2011 with Pittsburgh.

A shame if Florida handled Jagr this way....but its Florida after all, would you be suprised?

This is very disappointing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad