Panthers complete biggest comeback in franchise history x2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
I actually don't know what to say. To simultaneously have two threads about the Florida Panthers, where one celebrates their achievement of being third in their division in october, while another celebrates their capacity to finally win a game where they were theoretically lost, says two things. Florida is on the uprising, or this is quite pathetic usage of statistics and spirits of very small earnings in a season that is far from done. I'm forming my opinion towards the latter. It's almost like a Toronto thread plague with posters that have beaches, or posters hoping they would have a beach.

"Third in the league in october (and still reclaiming it in the beginning of november)!"
"Finally won a game where they were lost!"

Oh my. That is some desperate publicity about nothing, really. Do I dare to claim these are not confident indicators the team will make the playoffs, yet again?

If it took this long for a team to boast about finally being able to turn around a lost game, I would just shut up about it instead of boasting. Neither of these things are something to brag about. Believe me. When were they formed? In 1996? The finally turned around a losing game. It's 2019 now. WHAT an achievement! Wohoo! Only 23 years! I'm laughing my ass off, really.

But hey, if you're a Panthers fan and if you're happy, I'm not stopping you. Just don't try to show it off as some achievement.
One person created a thread, don't equivocate that to the whole fan base were having third place Halloween parties and planning parades. Third place is just the start for this team.
As far as the comeback thread, it was from down four after 40, on the road against one of the best teams in the league. I bet this thread would've been here no matter which team pulled it off, even if it wasn't the biggest third period comeback in their history.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Bruins fans said the same thing about Kulikov when he was a Panther. It's nonsense. Nobody else, including the Panthers own announcers use the same pronunciation as Edwards. You don't think the team they play for would be able to get it right?

ok. Let's simplify this. What is more likely? That the Panthers own announcers mispronounce one of their player's names incorrectly, or that Jack Edwards is the ONLY PBP guy in the NHL that pronounces Dadonov and Kulikov's names correctly. You tell me.

You actually know quite a bit more. You know how every other PBP guy in the NHL pronounces those names. You choose to only listen the outlier and assume he is correct because he is "your guy."

now let's get back on topic. how about that comeback?

Personally, I find it most likely that no one mentioned pronounces the names 100% correctly.

I haven't listened terribly closely to any of them, but unless they undertake at least a year or two of serious study of Russian it is unlikely that they can even hear, nevermind correctly pronounce, a number of consonants and vowels that differ between Russian and English as well as some rules about how things are pronounced vs. how they are written.

For the most part, if the spelling of a name ends in 'v,' they are to be pronounced with the unvoiced version of the consonant--'f' (e.g. think of the dish, "Beef Stroganoff," the original spelling, if it indeed exists in Russian is almost certainly more like "Stroganov"). Also, any 'o's in a word in Russian are meant to be pronounced as 'a' if the syllable they are contained in are not stressed. And if all that wasn't hard enough, the Russian 'o' has quite a unique sound.

Compare this to Mikhail Sergachev. In the Russian language, there is a letter called 'yo,' which looks like an 'e,' with two dots over the top of it. The letter was introduced in the 19th century by someone whose name I've forgotten. The letter represents a unique sound in the language, but the letter is only used in children's textbooks and textbooks for foreigners until they reach a level that they know how to pronounce most of the common names and words that contain it, at which point the dots are dropped altogether. Hence why some people pronounce it, "Sergachyev," and some pronounce it (more correctly), "Sergachyov"--but they still probably pronounce the end of the name as 'v!'

For reference, at 20 seconds of the following clip, Dadonov's name is pronounced:

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I don't think you know what projection is
It wasn't projection, nor deflection, nor gaslighting.

It was a failed attempt at sarcasm. We should respect those. Sarcasm isn't easy, and that's before you get to irony, sardony, or parody. Let's let people practice.

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011
It wasn't projection, nor deflection, nor gaslighting.

It was a failed attempt at sarcasm. We should respect those. Sarcasm isn't easy, and that's before you get to irony, sardony, or parody. Let's let people practice.
What's hilarious is it wasn't failed sarcasm. People actually said the things that he quoted, because some bozos don't even read the previous posts and go into automatic "non-traditional hockey market seek-and-destroy mode" without hesitation.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
So the emphasis is on the second syllable? Sounds like goofy Jack had it correct. :thumbu:
It seems that way. I didn't find a wikipedia entry for the surname (some exist and have pronunciation information if the Russian-speaking wiki community is interested in adding it), so an announcer will have to do.

In any case, I find that the people who usually worry about this sort of thing and try to use it as a "gotcha" seem to exist primarily in the monolingual Anglophone sphere (although I could be wrong).

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
It seems that way. I didn't find a wikipedia entry for the surname (some exist and have pronunciation information if the Russian-speaking wiki community is interested in adding it), so an announcer will have to do.

In any case, I find that the people who usually worry about this sort of thing and try to use it as a "gotcha" seem to exist primarily in the monolingual Anglophone sphere (although I could be wrong).

Thankfully, my work has taken me all over the world, and I'm very familiar with the way Americans absolutely butcher names. Thus I always assume that the more sure an American seems to be about a pronunciation, the more off it really is.

That said, to quote Derek Sanderson when Dave Shea tried to force him to Frenchify Patrick Roy's name into Ru-AH, "Dave, you aren't even from Canada, I'm from the Soo . . . and R-O-Y is Roy!"

Americanized/Canadianized or not, I agree with Derek!

Cotton

May 13, 2013
All I know is what he tells me. Either he's lying or he's not, and I know for a fact he isn't lying about Marchand, because he posted his pronunciation video, and Brad seems to smirk, knowing he's getting one over on Edwards.

That's the actual pronunciation though, Mar-shAND is wrong. It's like Zach Parize when he decided he wanted it to be pronounced Parish, which I don't know if that was a joke too or if he stuck with it, but his father's from Quebec and it's 100% pronounced Pari-Zay or Zee, depending.

From what I've seen pbp and colour guys have screwed up pronouncing foriegn names plenty, and in some cases the player will reach out and correct them such as Nikolai Kulemin, in other cases like with Yegor Korshkov he told them to just call him Igor even though Yegor doesn't translate to Igor. Or the player just won't say anything because they get things can be screwed up in translation.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
That's the actual pronunciation though, Mar-shAND is wrong. It's like Zach Parize when he decided he wanted it to be pronounced Parish, which I don't know if that was a joke too or if he stuck with it, but his father's from Quebec and it's 100% pronounced Pari-Zay or Zee, depending.

From what I've seen pbp and colour guys have screwed up pronouncing foriegn names plenty, and in some cases the player will reach out and correct them such as Nikolai Kulemin, in other cases like with Yegor Korshkov he told them to just call him Igor even though Yegor doesn't translate to Igor. Or the player just won't say anything because they get things can be screwed up in translation.

At this point, nobody knows what Marshand calls himself. It's really a running gag, because he's changed it 3-4 times in the last 8 years. He's just getting one over on Jack.

And yes, most Eastern Europeans I've met just grin and bear it with the Americanized names. Too much effort to try to get the correct sounds out of mouths that are not used to forming those sounds.

Panthers Propaganda

We're a team
Oct 28, 2015
Canada
By thread creators where their allegiances and stances are highly questionable and fluctuant, to put it diplomatically. I don't have the effort to analyze it all, but a quick glance says alot.

It is very clear both the boasting threads about the Panthers weren't from Panthers fans, or are of a different kind of short term reasoning, if they actually believed what they wrote, which is another spectrum not touched upon. In any terms, neither should be taken seriously, at all. Both threads are absolute garbage that doesn't try to favour the Panthers, more so ridicule their franchise, which I don't think is fair at all. Delusion or ridicule, I don't know and won't claim either.

I think we found the first delusional Panthers fan (only stated for the argument, don't take it personally). Trash threads deserve harsh responces for the quality of the forum. Unless we are are actually celebrating the Panthers finally won their first theoretically lost game after 23 years in existence, according to your opinion? If you really want to, sure, I can celebrate to that. Not by much, but I can take a sip of my drink and salute, I guess?

Or did you miss the actual celebration part of cheering after 23 years, for something so marginal to celebrate? Ok, it is huge. Fine. I won't call you delusional, if you're actually happy about it, fine, I can accept that. Congratulations!

Shhhhhhhhh

Let people enjoy things. We have sucked so hard for so long. Many are just thrilled at not being a basement team by November for once—our fan base is so jaded. However, your ability to conflate a few isolated threads with a whole fan base is

But thanks for your dissertation I guess, this is an Internet forum where thousands of people simultaneously circle jerk and erode the collective knowledge of the game 24/7. Accept these threads for what they are, momentary snapshots of joy, shame, and construction of narrative.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Bruins fans said the same thing about Kulikov when he was a Panther. It's nonsense. Nobody else, including the Panthers own announcers use the same pronunciation as Edwards. You don't think the team they play for would be able to get it right?

Your announcers have it wrong.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Where would we be if we had a half-decent starting goalie?

Hilarious watching Bob's performance this year after Panther fans shat all over Luongo/Reimer last season and swore they'd be contenders with Bob.

Still a sub 0.500 team. More of the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad