GDT: Panthers @ Capitals 7 PM "Disconnect" (Alternative Title: #PirriFreed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
The players will probably stop doing as much dump and chase when they feel more comfortable. Don't know how long it will take, we'll see.

I've been thinking this, too. A lot of new guys, new coach, new system, it takes time to learn everything. I'm confident that we'll see more offensive creativity as the players learn the system and gain more confidence.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I'd reckon that Gallant specifically has "advised" the players to dump the puck because almost every single entry to the offensive zone starts with the dump, even on the effin PP. If Gallant thinks that the constant dump 'n chase is a problem, using it as a primary strategy would have ceased after the first game or so. IMO, it's no wonder why e.g. Barkov struggles when he has to spend energy in working in the corners to retrieve the puck instead of holding on to it when crossing the blue line. Barkov's effectiveness is that much greater on the offensive if he has/gets the puck without a major struggle. Huberdeau might thrive under the command of Gallant as a grinder, but it ain't gonna cut with Barkov or any other player, for that matter, that would not be characterized as a grinder. Dumping the puck should be the last resort when the opponent is trapping the blue line; it just doesn't make sense as a general strategy to give away the puck possession so that you get to work your tail off in order to regain it. I'd say that we'll see a whole lot more goals after this issue has been worked out.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I'd reckon that Gallant specifically has "advised" the players to dump the puck because almost every single entry to the offensive zone starts with the dump, even on the effin PP. If Gallant thinks that the constant dump 'n chase is a problem, using it as a primary strategy would have ceased after the first game or so. IMO, it's no wonder why e.g. Barkov struggles when he has to spend energy in working in the corners to retrieve the puck instead of holding on to it when crossing the blue line. Barkov's effectiveness is that much greater on the offensive if he has/gets the puck without a major struggle. Huberdeau might thrive under the command of Gallant as a grinder, but it ain't gonna cut with Barkov or any other player, for that matter, that would not be characterized as a grinder. Dumping the puck should be the last resort when the opponent is trapping the blue line; it just doesn't make sense as a general strategy to give away the puck possession so that you get to work your tail off in order to regain it. I'd say that we'll see a whole lot more goals after this issue has been worked out.

Also, if the other is stacking the blue line, you should be the first on the puck since you have speed entering the zone after the dumped. On the PP on about 7 dump, they were first on the puck once. If theya re going to dump and chase, at least do it correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad