Panthers Biggest Draft Boom and Bust Since 2000

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
As the 2020 NHL Entry Draft approaches, we decided to examine each team’s best and worst pick since the 2000 NHL Entry Draft. The biggest boom is a player that had the best value relative to where they were selected. Meaning, no one in the first round will be considered a team’s best value pick. However, the biggest bust picks will almost always be in the first round. We will examine each player, why they were picked where they were, and what their NHL career was like. Today, we look at the Florida Panthers draft, and their biggest boom and bust.

The article is here
Florida Panthers Biggest Draft Boom and Bust Since 2000

Here is a taste with one of the honourable mentions.

Another player who was unable to adjust to the NHL was forward Quinton Howden. After three World Junior Championship appearances and stellar numbers in the WHL. Howden was drafted by the Panthers 25th overall in 2010 before making the jump to the pros. Howden recorded 239 points in 244 games, showing real promise for the next level. He was never able to get over the hump. In 97 games, Howden recorded 17 points total while playing for the Panthers and Jets.

After battling in the minors for a few years he still was unable to make a real impact. Howden has found himself in the KHL, hoping to be able to make an impact and maybe one day return to North America. With some unlucky picks in the past, the more recent Florida Panthers draft shows many signs of good things to come in Sunrise, Florida.

Reactions: harv33173

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yeah, I guess Taticek would be the biggest bust. Ellerby is up there too though, drafted at 10th overall as opposed to 9th overall for Taticek. I always liked Ellerby more than Taticek too, he really looked like he was gonna be a player. I didn't think Taticek was a good pick at #9, I thought the Panthers reached with that pick. There were better players left on the board.

Reactions: Laus723

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Yeah, I guess Taticek would be the biggest bust. Ellerby is up there too though, drafted at 10th overall as opposed to 9th overall for Taticek. I always liked Ellerby more than Taticek too, he really looked like he was gonna be a player. I didn't think Taticek was a good pick at #9, I thought the Panthers reached with that pick. There were better players left on the board.
Ellerby still played over 200 games in the big leagues. A miss, but not all time terrible

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Ellerby still played over 200 games in the big leagues. A miss, but not all time terrible

Yeah, like I said Ellerby is up there, but I guess the biggest bust in our history really is Taticek. It's funny though because for all the lamenting Panthers fans have done over the years about former players and draft busts, you never ever hear Taticek's name. I guess it was because he was picked 7 spots after Bouwmeester. Bouw was the main prize in the first round, Taticek was sort of like an add-on.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
@Frisky Dingo said it but people still complain about Luce. Holy f*** what absolute garbage they picked in the past, some of these guys never should've played a game in the league.

Taticek and Shvidki were pre-Luce, and they might be our two biggest busts in history. Mike Brown, our 1st rounder in 1997, was also a massive bust.

Our best drafting period was our first few years. From 93 to 96, in the 1st round we picked Niedermayer, Jovo, Dvorak, and Nilson. With some nice finds in later rounds. That was a pretty good run. Once they changed scouting personnel, that's when the nightmares began.

Thewselius

Jul 24, 2003
Yeah I remember wanting Shvidki to make it but he never seemed to put it together. It was frustrating because he was talented but seemed not to care.

Reactions: Cold Cat

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I dunno, 7th overall in the draft and was projected to be a skill player. Hit 30 points as a career high.

Not a bust like Hugh Jessiman, but from what was expected to what we got... Disappointment for sure.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
I went through all our first rounders since 2000 and hoo boy there are quite a few disappointments on this list. It feels like almost every name save a handful came into the league with a high ceiling they failed to reach, even the "very serviceable" players. Basically, if you've been drafted in the first round by the Panthers you're just as likely to be a total bust or major disappointment as your are to end up a contributing asset to an NHL club.

Guys that developed into stars
Huberdeau
Barkov

Guys that developed into very serviceable players
Ekblad
Horton
Weiss
Bouwmeester
Frolik
Kulikov

Guys that were serviceable but underwhelming
Bjugstad
Olesz
Gudbranson
Crouse
Matheson

Guys that truly missed the mark
Taticek
McArdle
Howden
Stewart
Ellerby
Krajicek

Too early to tell
Borgstom (but not looking good)
Denisenko
Tippett
Knight

Reactions: 5 Hole

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I went through all our first rounders since 2000 and hoo boy there are quite a few disappointments on this list. It feels like almost every name save a handful came into the league with a high ceiling they failed to reach, even the "very serviceable" players. Basically, if you've been drafted in the first round by the Panthers you're just as likely to be a total bust or major disappointment as your are to end up a contributing asset to an NHL club.

Guys that developed into stars
Huberdeau
Barkov

Guys that developed into very serviceable players
Ekblad
Horton
Weiss
Bouwmeester
Frolik
Kulikov

Guys that were serviceable but underwhelming
Bjugstad
Olesz
Gudbranson
Crouse
Matheson

Guys that truly missed the mark
Taticek
McArdle
Howden
Stewart
Ellerby
Krajicek

Too early to tell
Borgstom (but not looking good)
Denisenko
Tippett
Knight
You're right . GR had Matheson on his top Panthers defensemen list and I kind of agree: we hate his contract for his play.

I think Ekky is on the precipice of being a star; he is on a 50 pt pace without playing top powerplay...

Reactions: Cold Cat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->