Confirmed with Link: Panthers announce new additions & changes to Hockey Ops. staff (Fenton, Dudley & Campbell hired)

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
LMAO at anyone who thinks Borgstrom in the lineup next season is even remotely logical, let alone playing 2nd line center minutes.

Just give it up, he's never going to be anything significant on this team. Maybe elsewhere but he is done as a Panther and likely done in the NHL.

You talk about Boro and how he's "not a savior" (which no one claimed he would be) and in the same breath mention Borgstrom playing significant minutes on this team as if he hasn't been a total bum in a league that plays at a much slower pace and has WAY less talent than the NHL.

Some of you are out to f***ing lunch.
I think both have no impact.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
For starters, I think it’s highly unlikely Zito is bringing them both back. So then it becomes a matter of deciding which one he would try to retain.
I’m told Zito, who has hit the ground running, hasn’t yet reached out to either the Hoffman or Dadonov camps but plans to do so sooner rather than later to let them know what he’s thinking ahead of the opening of free agency.
What I think you might see is Zito telling them that while there’s still interest, he might want to see what happens when the market opens Oct. 9 before making that decision. There’s a risk in that but it sounds like both might be invited to head to market while opening the door to re-sign one of them after the market bares its reality.

Super good article. I like Zito a lot: he is smart with UFAs, although dangerous strategy to wait to see which of Hoff or Dad is underwhelmed with contracts. LeBrun: Uncertain free agent market brings individual players' cases into focus I think this is one of the most economically realistic strategies I have ever heard...but dangerous.

LMAO at anyone who thinks Borgstrom in the lineup next season is even remotely logical, let alone playing 2nd line center minutes.

Just give it up, he's never going to be anything significant on this team. Maybe elsewhere but he is done as a Panther and likely done in the NHL.

You talk about Boro and how he's "not a savior" (which no one claimed he would be) and in the same breath mention Borgstrom playing significant minutes on this team as if he hasn't been a total bum in a league that plays at a much slower pace and has WAY less talent than the NHL.

Some of you are out to f***ing lunch.
Eh, we literally cannot figure out another option: Galy/Haul is best UFA, I've negotiated extensively for Turris for Matheson with the Preds board...I just don't see a realistic option.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Super good article. I like Zito a lot: he is smart with UFAs, although dangerous strategy to wait to see which of Hoff or Dad is underwhelmed with contracts. LeBrun: Uncertain free agent market brings individual players' cases into focus I think this is one of the most economically realistic strategies I have ever heard...but dangerous.

Eh, we literally cannot figure out another option: Galy/Haul is best UFA, I've negotiated extensively for Turris for Matheson with the Preds board...I just don't see a realistic option.

You can tell zito is gonna be really good with contracts. Plus he may have already acquired Barkov's rw if the Matheson trade goes through. So he's not gonna offer the world to Hoff or Dads. And Tippett was always gonna replace one of the two, so there might not be super urgency right now.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
You can tell zito is gonna be really good with contracts. Plus he may have already acquired Barkov's rw if the Matheson trade goes through. So he's not gonna offer the world to Hoff or Dads. And Tippett was always gonna replace one of the two, so there might not be super urgency right now.
Yep, but this is super good logic: let's not pay the winner's curse and see who drops. Hoff and Dady might have preferences to stay in Florida.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Did you read the article I linked? It's not a player issue. It's a culture and leadership issue here.

We have a bunch of lazy, stupid, entitled players. A bunch of B/B+ guys.

People thought Stralman's veteran experience and steady play would have an impact on the D, wrong. People thought Accari would be that gritty element we lacked and he was invisible in the playoffs, wrong. People thought Connolly was going to add quality depth but he stunk. More new players won't fix what's a leadership and culture issue with this franchise. Guys like Barkov and Huberdeau and Ekblad need to learn to lead and not accept mediocre play and effort from their teammates. Q needs to give a damn. And Zito needs to ship anyone out who isn't committed. It's not that complicated but Florida is a cushy place to play with no expectation of winning. Again, read the link I posted and it will resonate.

There's a great book on leadership called Extreme Ownership. In it, the author says there are no bad teams, only bad leaders. And it's true, even in sports. It's why teams that look good on paper underperform. And I know, someone who is nitpicky will say "actually there are bad teams" to which I say, ya, no shit but that's not the point. It's about meeting or exceeding expectations. It's why the 95-96 team made a run. Great leaders on that team and a team culture that did everything they could to win, they all had each other's backs, and were motivated to win at any cost.

And you need guys who are top end talent to actually make an impact, not a #4/5 d-man. It's laughable to think Boro is going to make much of a difference if our D is so bad. I've seen this every single offseason where there's some mediocre player people here romanticize. He'll get caught up in the bad culture and isn't impactful enough to step up and be a leader. Add that he'll be sitting in the first year of a nice free agent deal and it's a recipe for no improvement.

:clap:

This is the most excited I've seen people on this board for a bottom pairing Dman since Dylan McIlrath.

Reactions: klabob

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
I have to believe that Fenton helped to facilitate the acquisition of Hornqvist. History is there from Nashville.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I have to believe that Fenton helped to facilitate the acquisition of Hornqvist. History is there from Nashville.
Not clear: not even sure if Hornqvist knew about the trade...I do believe that Fenton and Barkov could convince him to come here if we could make the trade, but insurance makes it ugly.

Great8Cam

Nov 2, 2008
Greggy Campbell was thought of as a dick. One of my friends was walking down the hall with, I think it was Vokoun, and Greggy walked by and didn’t say anything. Vokoun said he was a dick and nobody likes him.

Reactions: Bure1096

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
Greggy Campbell was thought of as a dick. One of my friends was walking down the hall with, I think it was Vokoun, and Greggy walked by and didn’t say anything. Vokoun said he was a dick and nobody likes him.
So he's not going to coddle players?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

If he and Geoffrion can replicate the development system that they built in Columbus, I don't really care.

Reactions: harv33173

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
I'm very happy about this depth we have in the front office now. When have we ever had this wide range of experience and knowledge before? Like before we Zito, we legit had Tallon and Eric Joyce basically. Mahovlich was an advisor up until recently, but that's really it.

Now we have Zito, Fenton, Dudley, Peterson, Geoffrion, Bark, Krepelka, Fenton Jr, Gregory Campbell, plus Luongo. Like this is really great imo, we now have guys with extensive front office experience, development experience, guys who have made their living negotiating and structuring contracts as player agents. It makes me wonder if Dale just wanted to hear his own voice and that's it. Who was there to tell Dale their thoughts on things, aside from scouts?

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I'm very happy about this depth we have in the front office now. When have we ever had this wide range of experience and knowledge before? Like before we Zito, we legit had Tallon and Eric Joyce basically. Mahovlich was an advisor up until recently, but that's really it.

Now we have Zito, Fenton, Dudley, Peterson, Geoffrion, Bark, Krepelka, Fenton Jr, Gregory Campbell, plus Luongo. Like this is really great imo, we now have guys with extensive front office experience, development experience, guys who have made their living negotiating and structuring contracts as player agents. It makes me wonder if Dale just wanted to hear his own voice and that's it. Who was there to tell Dale their thoughts on things, aside from scouts?
You are ignoring guys like Pronger but I agree: Zito is building out a team management approach. I’m hoping it means better development results at least

Reactions: KW

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

I agree, totally different ballgame now. Simply the amount of work that this group can do, and will do because they’re all energetic and experienced, is multiple times what DT’s team ever did. They won’t fall behind other teams because of lack of preparation. So it’ll come down to decisions... but more voices usually is a better thing, as long as they don’t get stuck in analysis paralysis or waiting for someone else to do what needs to be done (unlikely).

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

Should like it even more. Good pickup IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: KW and batting1k

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
You are ignoring guys like Pronger but I agree: Zito is building out a team management approach. I’m hoping it means better development results at least

Ok, I'll give you Pronger too, but still, that's like Dale and Joyce + 2 guys. Honestly to me it always felt like Pronger was half in, half out. I'm a tiny bit skeptical in that fact that I hope it's not too many voices and therefore potentially having heads butt often, but it's also better than having 1 or 2 guys call balls and strikes.

Zito seems like a good arbitrator, and someone who can get others to work well together toward a common goal. At the end of the day, these guys want to win as much as the players and fans do.

Reactions: violaswallet

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Good to get another tough guy on the management team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad