Confirmed with Link: Panthers acquire Mike Hoffman & 2018 7th from SJ, for 2019 2nd & 2018 4th + 5th round picks

Dnigly13

Jun 21, 2017
i like balanced lines so why not put a few solid parings together and fill in the rest.
Daddy-Barkov-Budjstad
Hoffman-Tro-Malgin
Huberdeau-Borg-Vertrano
Mamim-McCann-Scevior

Reactions: Pragmatic Panther

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I was watching highlights of his goals last night. This guy has a howitzer of a one-timer.

For sure. It's also the quickness of the puck getting off his stick, he doesn't hesitate and just snaps it. 1st unit PP needs him badly.
If Tippett makes the team, we will have 3 great shooters along with Trocheck.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
That’s not exactly true. Dadonov played right wing with Huberdeau and Barkov until Huberdeau was moved with Trocheck. Dadonov is naturally a right winger who can play the left wing. In the KHL Dadonov played right wing and began on the right wing with the Panthers it’s his natural position.

@Kellyr

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
That’s not exactly true. Dadonov played right wing with Huberdeau and Barkov until Huberdeau was moved with Trocheck. Dadonov is naturally a right winger who can play the left wing. In the KHL Dadonov played right wing and began on the right wing with the Panthers it’s his natural position.

@Kellyr

Ok sure, but the point still stands. When the top line was found and locked in Daddy played LW so I don't see a problem specifically at that position that would automatically mean Hoffman needs to play LW.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Ok sure, but the point still stands. When the top line was found and locked in Daddy played LW so I don't see a problem specifically at that position that would automatically mean Hoffman needs to play LW.

. Now that we have another scorer I’m not so sure the top line is set in stone Not to start a separate argument but the Dadonov - Bjugstad line wasn’t as effective as the Huberdeau - Dadonov combo. Barkov himself started to produce less although that’s probably a benefactor if playing too much. We also saw a significant drop in production when Huberdeau was paired with Trocheck. Considering those things I’m not so sure we see Bjugstad back on the top line and Huberdeau back with Trocheck.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018

@Kellyr
yea but daddy truly shined at LW. he was so good at the end of the season, he became the only player that actually made our boring defensive system entertaining. he must be back at LW this year. its problematic cause i dont like huby at tro's wing. the only compromise i can see is hub back with bark on the 1st line and daddy at tro's left. i really like hoffmans snipes from the right side, so i dont see why he cant be tro's RW. i really think that line would do tons of damage. i guess bjug would have to be the RW for hub and bark in that scenario which isnt ideal but probably our best bet if we're keeping bjug. from there we have about a billion combos for the other two lines.

Reactions: Breaking Dadonov

ZamBroni

Dec 15, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale
Huby - Barkov - Dadanov
Hoff - Trochek - Bjugstad
Malgin - Borg - Vatrano
Mamin - McCann - Sceviour

Is what I would do initially but I admit Bjug stands out like a sore thumb on the 2nd line. I'm still holding out hope that Tippet looks good and could just slide into that spot.

I don't mind the more balanced approach someone else mentioned earlier tho. We have options.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
??

Dadonov played LW the whole season last year, if we are thin somewhere it's on RW.
No Dadonov is a RW he flipped to LW when Huby was moved down to Trocheck, as Nick had no chemistry with anyone at all until this happened. Up until that time Dads was only on the RW

H-B-D

Reactions: IceManCat

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
yea but daddy truly shined at LW. he was so good at the end of the season, he became the only player that actually made our boring defensive system entertaining. he must be back at LW this year. its problematic cause i dont like huby at tro's wing. the only compromise i can see is hub back with bark on the 1st line and daddy at tro's left. i really like hoffmans snipes from the right side, so i dont see why he cant be tro's RW. i really think that line would do tons of damage. i guess bjug would have to be the RW for hub and bark in that scenario which isnt ideal but probably our best bet if we're keeping bjug. from there we have about a billion combos for the other two lines.

I would argue Dadonov looked good at the end because he was finally able to (A) adjust to the NHL game and (B) recover from his injury fully. I don’t think it has much to do with flipping sides.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL

I'm hoping we can at least keep Dadonov on the top line with Barkov. They showed amazing chemistry last year. Bjugstad did fit nicely on that RW but I think most of us agree he was mostly just along for the ride playing with two other studs. I think it's kind of redundant to have Tro and Hoffman on the same line because they're both fast and shoot-first players. We need to spread that out since we don't generally have guys like that. So I'd go:

Hoffman-Barkov-Dadonov
Huberdeau-Trocheck-Bjugstad /or hopefully Tippett takes this spot at camp.

OR we can reinstate that magical 11-16-68 combo. Hoffman does have a mullet situation going....just saying.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Any rumors out there of us still trying to get him?

Mike Johnson on TSN said that one team Pacioretty was interested in signing an extension with was the Panthers but now with Hoffman it's more complicated. And that we would have to move salary out to make it work.

So it's probably not totally out of the question yet.

I think Tallon focuses more on getting help on defense though.

Breaking Dadonov

Jan 25, 2018
Mike Johnson on TSN said that one team Pacioretty was interested in signing an extension with was the Panthers but now with Hoffman it's more complicated. And that we would have to move salary out to make it work.

So it's probably not totally out of the question yet.

I think Tallon focuses more on getting help on defense though.
Yea one more defender and bottom six winger and I think we’re good, but if Tallon wants to add another top 6 player by all means go for it.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
include bjugstad in a deal for pacioretty and it works this year, we'd be able to resign him wit mcginn coming off the books next season. and our top-6 would be absolutely insane (along with our pp).

go.steal.patches.

even longterm having to worry about extensions for dads and hoff, we have reimer whos movable, luongo in the coming years, jussi's 1.333 coming off the books after this season, and demer's 0.525 after these next 3-years. like ive been saying, these next 4 years are the prime years to compete. even without another top-4, having ek, yandle, and matheson locked in is really damn good, along with weegar as an excellent 3rd pairing, with kis who will hopefully be good this year and pysyk, thats still a solid d corp. we had the luxury of getting hoffman for nothing, go get pacioretty.

Last edited:

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Yea one more defender and bottom six winger and I think we’re good, but if Tallon wants to add another top 6 player by all means go for it.
we have a ton of botom 6 wingers. the problem is the obsession with playing mack and haley. we could easily have one of the best bottom 6 in the league if we just played all our best players. we need one more top 6 guy to have an elite offense. no need for bottom 6 when we're not playing the guys we have. we need top 4D and top 6 W and we could be 2nd in the division. as it stands were wildcard 1.

Breaking Dadonov

Jan 25, 2018
we have a ton of botom 6 wingers. the problem is the obsession with playing mack and haley. we could easily have one of the best bottom 6 in the league if we just played all our best players. we need one more top 6 guy to have an elite offense. no need for bottom 6 when we're not playing the guys we have. we need top 4D and top 6 W and we could be 2nd in the division. as it stands were wildcard 1.
Very true hope they decide to not give Haley more than 30 games. I can deal with Mack although I’m not thrilled about it. 4th line of Mamin Mack and Scevior is not terrible.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
include bjugstad in a deal for pacioretty and it works this year, we'd be able to resign him wit mcginn coming off the books next season. and our top-6 would be absolutely insane (along with our pp).

go.steal.patches.

I'd be ok with Patches for sure and I think Tallon would sign him with all that character etc. but it takes two to dance.

And Bergevin is all over the place with trades, asked crazy stuff at the deadline for Patches but then trades Galchenuk for Domi.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I'd be ok with Patches for sure and I think Tallon would sign him with all that character etc. but it takes two to dance.

And Bergevin is all over the place with trades, asked crazy stuff at the deadline for Patches but then trades Galchenuk for Domi.
exactly, he shouldnt cost much. hes almost 30, 1yr remaining, coming off a subpar season, take bjugstad and the 15th and call it a day. montreal gets a center like they wanted to, they were never going to get a top line center in this scenario.

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
A couple of observations. The acquisition of Hoffman eliminates any need for Patches, who we cannot afford to resign in any event. Having filled our pressing need for a scorer, having signed our young core, having stocked young talent etc., our rebuild is now over. We now need to draft well, restock the prospect pool on D and take advantage of trade opportunities.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I wouldn't trade any more high picks for a forward. If it was about that top4 dman then maybe, but my first instinct would be to hold onto our picks and use them in the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->