Post-Game Talk: Panthers 4, Oilers 1

space321

May 11, 2011
Jesse gets benched 3rd period while hte team is trying to come back. Apparently because he directly caused the 1st goal against.

Meanwhile, Strome loses his man because he fell over, leading to the 2nd goal against. Lucic still sucking as usual, his forecheck involves overskating the puck because he's skating too "fast" for his hands to catch up. Those two are still out there in the 3rd. Kassian and Brodziak are still out there, but Chiasson replaces Jesse.

Are you Jesse haters seriously gonna come in here with a straight face and tell me that's fair treatment under the #accountability bullshit that Todd promotes? There is ZERO accountability to anybody on this team outside of Jesse.

Reactions: Studz

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Down 2 goals going into the third you would think we would see desperate hockey from this team. Todd just can’t get these guys going. Maybe they should watch how Calgary plays in the third and take notes. Time for a shake up and get rid of Todd something that should have been done when they changed assistant coaches
I agree. He doesn't seem to be very motivational

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Is it coaching or personnel? Can/has ANY coach been successful with a blue line completely and utterly devoid of offence?

I know Chiarelli has really gutted this team. But at the same time teams like Montreal, Vancouver can play well with a considerably worse roster. McLellan just doesnt seem to be able to get much out of his players. /shrug

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
That was sad. Need a shakeup in the lineup. Anyone know if Ethan Bear is still injured?

RNH-McDavid-Caggiula (not sure why they got away from this tbh)
Rieder-Draisaitl-Marody (I'd like to see Marody in a top 6 capacity)
Khaira-Strome-Chiasson (Not sure about this one)
Lucic-Brodziak-Kassian (Big and scary)

I guess Rattie hasn't been bad, but I'd prefer a lineup like this, with JP and Yama sent down.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
The Oilers just proved that they want Jack Hughes just a little bit more than Florida

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Luongo went god mode on us

Shades of Vancouver days
Alway had a soft spot for RL even when he was in Vancouver.
I thought the way he handled the media when he had the 'choke' label attached to him, and the way he handled the exit from Vancouver showed class. Seems like a guy who believes in himself and doesn't give up even when he's playing poorly. Always busting his ass for the next save no matter what the score is - and still playing at 39. Couple eye popping saves tonight. Good for him.

Verdadplus

Sep 29, 2017
Luongo is a shit goalie And the Oilers are pure shit
Dadonov is better than any Oiler

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think they're gonna be an up and down team all year.

Chiasson's scoring burst made them look like a strong team, but once that evaporated, predictably things fall apart.

It just goes to show what this team would be if they actually had another star type player who could score outside the McDavid line and why the mistakes made here by management are so costly.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
well, Koskinen gets his chance now... doesnt he?

and if the bleeding doesnt stop soon, a coaching has got to happen. it might not be Tmac's fault (weak lineup), but it just has to happen.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Is it coaching or personnel? Can/has ANY coach been successful with a blue line completely and utterly devoid of offence?

This team is doing for a bouchard and a bear

It's not like they defended any worse than anyone else in the bottom 4 this year.

Klef Larsson
Nurse bear
Russel Bouchard
Benning

Suddenly you have two legit pp threats who can hit forwards in stride.

Unfortunately I think it came down to the expansion draft for bouchard. No idea why bear isn't brought back up since he's healthy

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I know Chiarelli has really gutted this team. But at the same time teams like Montreal, Vancouver can play well with a considerably worse roster. McLellan just doesnt seem to be able to get much out of his players. /shrug

100% this. He seems to suck the life out of the players. Just doesn’t make any sense. Fire this idiot already, get a real coach that can motivate his players and keep them playing the structured defense they were before. Then, see if Talbot and Koskinen look at least average again (I think they will). If not, throw whatever you need to get a good starter.

Reactions: Studz and Aerrol

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
well, Koskinen gets his chance now... doesnt he?

and if the bleeding doesnt stop soon, a coaching has got to happen. it might not be Tmac's fault (weak lineup), but it just has to happen.

I dont think Talbot has been great this year ... but when the team fails to score on their chances. Games pretty much over when its 2-0. He was pretty brutal on the third goal though. Sunk any chance of a comeback as slim as it was.

space321

May 11, 2011
This team is doing for a bouchard and a bear

It's not like they defended any worse than anyone else in the bottom 4 this year.

Klef Larsson
Nurse bear
Russel Bouchard
Benning

Suddenly you have two legit pp threats who can hit forwards in stride.

Unfortunately I think it came down to the expansion draft for bouchard. No idea why bear isn't brought back up since he's healthy

Rushing prospects, haven't we learned anything? I'd rather Bouchard stay in junior for a year then start in the AHL and wait for callups.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
It’s interesting how some organizations do what it takes and others don’t. I’m sure a lot of players and fans in Chicago gulped when quennville got the gate but good organizations simply realize that it’s win or else. No such luck with the oilers or the esks. Even if you haven’t won anything you are owed something.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Well with new guys like Domi and Pettersson on fire i wouldn’t say those teams are that much worse personnel wise, but I get your point. Neither of those teams have a true number 1 D and are getting things done this year, but it’s a small sample size and I do t think anyone expects these teams to be among the leagues elite by year end.

We got a glaring hole on D, which is why I think we’ll be a bubble team or worse no matter the coach. That being said, Tmacs definately does deserve criticism when the ONLY thing he seems to be able to do is blend lines, which really isn’t even coaching its praying and hoping.

So how many times has he Mcblended and we still lost. Don’t get how in the days before a game he and the coaches can sit down and create some Lines, then think during 1 intermission throwing that all out and just create lines at random is the solution to anything.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
@nabob Does it really hurt you that much to see this player struggling that you're willing to take the world on to defend him even in moments where he's showing the very weaknesses that are keeping him out of the NHL?

Watch the replay. Jesse Puljujarvi is at the end of a shift in his team's zone on a long change. He has the puck in the defensive zone and flips it straight up into the air. None of his teammates could anticipate that--especially Connor McDavid, who was at the opponents blueline. Yet somehow in your mind Connor McDavid is to blame for that goal?

He had three viable options that would've resulted in nothing happening--handing the puck to #93 who was standing next to him, wrapping the puck back around the boards to reverse to #77, or use his 6'4 frame to protect the puck himself and reverse back to the D zone to regroup. What he did was the wrong play and it resulted in a goal against.

It's a shining example of the little things he's doing that are causing him to have a difficult time finding chemistry on this team. The one thing you can take out of this lousy effort by the Oilers is a perfect reason for why Jesse needs to take a step back and figure out how to be an effective NHLer. The first thing is probably learning the language a bit better so he can actually communicate with his coaches and teammates.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
@nabob Does it really hurt you that much to see this player struggling that you're willing to take the world on to defend him even in moments where he's showing the very weaknesses that are keeping him out of the NHL?

Watch the replay. Jesse Puljujarvi is at the end of a shift in his team's zone on a long change. He has the puck in the defensive zone and flips it straight up into the air. None of his teammates could anticipate that--especially Connor McDavid, who was at the opponents blueline. Yet somehow in your mind Connor McDavid is to blame for that goal?

He had three viable options that would've resulted in nothing happening--handing the puck to #93 who was standing next to him, wrapping the puck back around the boards to reverse to #77, or use his 6'4 frame to protect the puck himself and reverse back to the D zone to regroup. What he did was the wrong play and it resulted in a goal against.

It's a shining example of the little things he's doing that are causing him to have a difficult time finding chemistry on this team. The one thing you can take out of this lousy effort by the Oilers is a perfect reason for why Jesse needs to take a step back and figure out how to be an effective NHLer. The first thing is probably learning the language a bit better so he can actually communicate with his coaches and teammates.

This is another giant L for Chiarelli if this player does not work out. We needed an impact player with that pick after blowing the 16/33 in 2015.

I said three freaking years ago, spend the bloody 20k on a English tutor for Jesse. The Oilers spend more on Gatorade. Why no one in management has a clue about that is beyond me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->